FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: 3 Contenders for Team MVP

Boy, how dominant has our Oregon Ducks football program looked over the past few weeks? If you missed Our Beloved Ducks’ stellar performance against the USC Trojans this weekend, it was about what you’d expect (and more) for Oregon. The energy was electric, and our offense went up and down the field routinely through the run and passing game, which both thrived ...

Source

Read the full article here...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Overall, no brainer: Bo Nix

On defense: Dorlus 

On offense:  Bucky

Honorable Mentions:

Offense: Franklin, TFerg and the whole O-line I suppose

Defense: Kyree, Rogers and believe it or not, Bassa. Maybe not for raw skill, but getting the right calls.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Alex I agree with you and EastBayDuckDad and the candidates you mentioned.

If I had a vote it would be cast for Bo! His resume, coupled with his leadership, speak volumes and shouts MVP........and the Heismam voters msy agree, too.

What makes Bo a true MVP is he would give credit for his success to those around him.

Edited by HappyToBeADuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

IMO, Bo Nix is the best player in college football. In order for Nix to have elevated to the position he is in requires having dudes who can play at a high level across all position groups.

So many on this team are really good players. And they make really good players next to them really great players. Bo is no exception. He is a really good player with really good players making him a really great player.

Thats a football team. 1%, main thing the main thing, go to the doctor, all of this is done as a team. From coaching to players, these guys seem bonded in a way we haven't seen at Oregon.

Ducks have a legit shot at a national championship. They are built to do exactly that. If they can get that done it will be an amazing accomplishment. 

Super hard to say who the MVP really is. To accomplish something like winning a NC will take everyone doing their job at an elite level. Whats more valuable? The axle, the wheel or the pin holding the wheel on? As is with a team.

Nix is THE best player in college football when you break down all the moving parts that go into that. But this is just my opinion.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/15/2023 at 1:55 PM, Log Haulin said:

Nix is THE best player in college football

So true. He makes everyone around him better by getting alignments and reads right and distributing the ball to his playmakers. Most of the 'fails' have been iffy routes, drops or penalties. He's missed a few reads and open receivers,  but not many.

How many coaches around the country would think about a play then run it by their QB first?

Oregon v them (U$C) video, middle route to TFerg in the end zone:

"Ask Bo"

"Yeah, that's not a bad call"

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think there is little doubt the out front leader of this team is Bo Nix. On defense it is easy to see Evan Williams leads the team in statistics, as does Nix on offense.

The quiet leaders are harder to pick, but equally important. I would put Jackson, our center, as the most important stealth offensive weapon on the team. Jeffrey Bass isn't as muted, but he leads that defense, and is the vocal leader needed on the field.

There is energy given by the team MVP's which the first two will undoubtedly be the leaders for at the end of the season. There are then the leaders of the culture and just the way the team goes about its business. I would say that is the most valuable element to any team, and something to acknowledge!

One rising star is Jestin Jacobs. He is turning into everything I think Lanning saw in him when he brought him into the program. He has been worth the wait, and should have a monster season next year, and help us to the next level this season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alex, Great article and I agree with most of it.  I do take exception to one sentence: ’There would be no Ducks team this year without Nix.’

As a firm believer in the next man up philosophy, I am positive we would have had a great team this year, had Bo gone to the NFL last year. We just would not have been ‘quite’ as great.

Bo is awesome and will leave his mark in the record book, but OBD would have fielded a pretty darn good team without him.

That said, you are correct in that it is hard to pick only one MVP, there are just too many standouts in this team, from the first squad, all the way to the 3rd man up,

• Thumbs Up 3

It’s Bo simple as that. The rest of the clan is top notch for sure.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for another fine article, Alex.  Obviously, Bo is the MVP and main man in OBD's charge to the playoffs.  But I have to give a hoop and a holler to one other ... just because of a post of mine from a year and a half ago.  Mea culpa.  I railed against ever throwing to Bucky again ... as in his first Ducks game he dropped the first two passes thrown to him.  And now I can't recall a drop since then

Bucky, you have my apologies.  You are a monster on the field and a gentleman off.  I hope you get the All-American status you deserve.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would put Jackson Powers-Johnson in my top 5.

Bo and Danno trip to NYC and Bo cements the team MVP and perhaps, the nation's MVP. 

Thank you, Alex. Picking nits but the Oregon win over USC would have been far better from a national perspective if the Ducks had not left 5 points on the field (why the 2 point try early which 'caused' a 2 point try later?) Lewis makes the 2nd FG attempt and SC's late TD is irrelevant.

And the team with 120 penalty yards (the unsportsmanlike call on Ferguson was horse bleep) and the OL not road-grading USC the way UW did on the road and not putting the same whipping on the Trojans as did Notre Dame, did not help with the Eye Test that David Marsh noted is important this late in the season.

Oregon brought its B-game if that and still won handily which is nice but I would have liked to have seen complete dominance. 

I hope on Saturday that Oregon can put a 3 TD+ whipping on ASU like Utah did in Salt Lake City. 

It stinks but before the playoff field expands next season style points do matter.

• Thumbs Up 2