Mic

Oregon vs ASU - Tempe Difficulties

The last time Oregon played the Sun Devils in Tempe  (2019) Oregon was ranked #6, ASU not rated, (just like this year).  That year, the Sun Devils surprised Oregon 31-28. A huge upset.

In 2017, 24th ranked Oregon also lost to non-rated ASU 37-35.   Another upset.    In 2015, the Ducks won, but in a very close slugfest 61-55.   In the last three matchups between these two teams (in Tempe) ASU has scored 123 points, Oregon 124.  

Tempe seems to be a venue Oregon has struggled in recently for whatever reason, ranked or otherwise.  Just an interesting sidelight to make one wonder what it is about Mountain America Stadium (or the Sun Devils) that has caused Oregon such angst.  Will this Lanning-coached team break this recent trend?  

Edited by Mic
  • Let’s hope! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Much better Oregon team this year, ASU...still finding it's footing.  I expect 53-10

Different coaches, so hope for better results.

• Thumbs Up 2

I want to also highlight the quick, 6 day, turnaround before the beav game. The travel to Tempe is impactful, and loss of prep time for the beavs, impactful.

What we are headed into is two challenges which we need to get through and will also be indicators of how well a Lanning led team will be able to negotiate next seasons schedule.

It is easy to say these are resilient young men, but they are young college students who have classes, tests, and distractions, need I provide pictures again?

This isn't so much a test of our team against the next two teams, but our team against the challenges I have mentioned along with many we can't even quantify. This will be a bigger series of tests than we will ever know, I hope. I hope we make it look easier than it is!

Ok, I will provide another picture, Oregon Football is many things, not all on the field.

2242556593_328564a256_c.jpg

• Salute 1

No Mario prevent offense this year. Oregon will be fine.

• Haha 1

No Mario lack of preparation either.

Speaking of which, it's interesting to listen to Mario's pressers at Miami.   They are verbatim what he used to say here.  'Impose our will at the LOS', 'physicality', 'control the clock' ...... All the same drivel and basically the same results. 

Okay back to our regularly scheduled programming.   

Edited by Augduck
  • Haha 2

Absolutely no way Oregon losses this game. Unless, they have major injuries. Ducks need to go down to ASU and put the game away by the half or at least mid 3rd qtr. Stick the backups in so the starters can rest before the CW game. Lots on the line so no use risking injuries to key players.

What the "difficulties"  in a historic context look like. Spoiler alert: Ducks are 11-2 in last 13 games.

WWW.WINSIPEDIA.COM

Winsipedia - Database and infographics of Oregon Ducks vs. Arizona State Sun Devils football series history and all-time...

Ducks smoke the Devils. No way ASU hangs with the Ducks. 42-6

• Thumbs Up 1

Also keep in mind the Beavs will have a very physical game against the mutts. They should be more beat up than the Ducks if things go like I think they will. 

I have the Ducks winning by 4 scores. Back ups should get some playing time.

The Beavs is a toss up against the mutts.

Also the Ducks need to clean up the mistakes which has plagued them all season. Focus is all that is needed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 9:05 AM, Log Haulin said:

Ducks smoke the Devils. No way ASU hangs with the Ducks. 42-6

You're close to my guess, as I was going to say 42-10 Oregon.  But then I began the research.  The only thing I couldn't find were the odds on the last time Oregon went down to Tempe ranked #6 and lost.  This year the odds are -24.5 for O.  But then, there's that nagging little reminder of 2019.  

Yeah, Oregon should win this going away.  We'll see.

Based on what the Sun Devils’s offense sprung on UCLA, Dilly is probably looking to light a fire under his team and the fans by using similarly unexpected alignments on us. As dominant as his defense was against the Bruins, he know there is no comparison between Chip’s offense and ours. That’s why his only hope for an upset is squarely on his offense executing the unexpected on us.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

The Ducks, under Lanning, have not shown the proclivity to overlook an opponent prior to any game this season.  So far.  With the "last" Civil War about to be played and ASU @ 2-5 in the Pac, one hopes they won't this week either.  One week at a time, right?

That said, ASU did surprise UCLA in Pasadena and held a decent offense to 7 points and score 17 on a good defense. They also played UW pretty tough.  Couple that with what Kenny remembers about how things are done at Oregon and you have an interesting situation.

Hmmm.  This game might be closer than the odds predict.  However, I did the research and the oddsmakers are pretty confident O will actually beat the spread. Are they setting themselves up to win a lot of our Christmas $$?  

I am happy this not a night game. A daytime game should do us a little better, but there is something about that desert air...we didn't do well with Texas Tech either.

Certainly I hope we play them as good as Utah played them and not like UW played them.

I think it is excellent sports psychology for DL to tell the players that if they want to make the playoffs it will take dominant showing every single game. It isn't enough to win. They can't skate by ASU for an easy win. They need to play focussed and hard enough to dominate.

• Thumbs Up 2

With Herm and Ray gone, no problema. Just don't don't get scattershot by Skattebo or let the swinging gate hit you in the tail feathers. 

Margaritas all around!

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

My view of this one is like many of your own--Ducks win convincingly. If they struggle in this one they likely have no business in the playoffs (and I sure hope they get there).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2023 at 8:16 AM, Mic said:

The last time Oregon played the Sun Devils in Tempe  (2019) Oregon was ranked #6, ASU not rated, (just like this year).  That year, the Sun Devils surprised Oregon 31-28. A huge upset.

In 2017, 24th ranked Oregon also lost to non-rated ASU 37-35.   Another upset.    In 2015, the Ducks won, but in a very close slugfest 61-55.   In the last three matchups between these two teams (in Tempe) ASU has scored 123 points, Oregon 124.  

Tempe seems to be a venue Oregon has struggled in recently for whatever reason, ranked or otherwise.  Just an interesting sidelight to make one wonder what it is about Mountain America Stadium (or the Sun Devils) that has caused Oregon such angst.  Will this Lanning-coached team break this recent trend?  

Since 2000, the Ducks are 8-3 at Sun Devil Stadium. 

I'm going to lean in that 73% win percentage in Tempe for about the last quarter century. 

It's going to be a little chilly down here on Saturday... about 73° and some showers in the morning. 

Hopefully, the teams and the fans can handle it 😉

On 11/16/2023 at 10:53 PM, Desert Duck said:

It's going to be a little chilly down here on Saturday... about 73° and some showers in the morning. 

Hopefully, the teams and the fans can handle it 😉

The fans can stay home, that'd be fine. As far as the weather goes, that's a warm spring day for Oregon.  Perfect weather for Ducks.  What's a little rain to Oregon?

Ducks -23.5 - SP+ OREGON by 29. FPI - OREGON by 28.9.

The computers have the Ducks and are laying the points in anticipation of Puddles not laying an egg.

• Thumbs Up 2