Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: Oregon and Oregon State Plotting to Keep Civil War Alive in 2024

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Plus: MWC plan... and Jonathan Smith's future at OSU?

In my humble opinion, and while I'd love to see the Civil War continue, no Oregon team should ever be subjected, and relegated, to having to play on that blue smurf rug thing again. 

There outta be a law against that kind of hideous thing. 

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Wazzu and ewe dub doing the same.

WWW.MSN.COM

have agreed in principal on a five-year continuation of the Apple Cup football series through at least 2028, the schools announced.

I sure hope it happens.  It would be a crying shame to see this great tradition go away or fall by the wayside.  GO OREGON!

• Thumbs Up 3

The Apple Cup is on from 2024 - 2028 but OH ST canceling out on UW left a scheduled opening for 2024/25.

I see no reason whatsoever why Oregon should pay money to fit the Beavers into future schedules and if Oregon does so, OSU best agree to play back-to-back in Autzen.

Oregon plays Ohio State and UW next season and on the road in Michigan and Wisconsin.

Do you want to add another quasi-P4 opponent to Texas Tech with a new QB coming in?

And, BTW, OSU is suing Oregon and trying to gloom onto money that Oregon and not OSU earned.

Beavers be dammed.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Oh no! 1
  • Like 1

To me this seems like the eventual understanding that Oregon State needs that game more than they wanna admit. Same for Washington State. Temper tantrums, finger pointing and name calling won't change what's happened. Oregon will have USC, Washington,UCLA, Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State coming to Eugene. Oregon State will have Washington State, Fresno State, Boise State, San Diego State, and New Mexico coming to Corvallis.

• Thumbs Up 1

A lot of super salty/whiny Beaver fans commenting on the article. None of them have a clue about the bigger picture.

• Thumbs Up 2

No!

They have been stealing from Oregon, and will continue to if we wimp out.  See 11-20-23 article on FishDuck.

Mr. FishDuck

Reasonably speaking here ... what could be done is for Oregon State to not have BSU on their "conference" schedule next year and instead Oregon gives OSU the BSU game and Oregon plays OSU.

I mean that does mean for Oregon that they give up effectively a free win against BSU (they are a rebuild) for a team that is far more dangerous in OSU. But it also gives OSU 2 OCC games at that point which helps fill their potential schedule needs.

Maintaining traditional rivalries is always good as far as I am concerned, As for OSU being relegated to a lower existence, Georgia has kept its rivalry with Georgia Tech, and the people speaking badly about stooping to play the lowly Yellow Jackets display the kind of snootiness that makes others dislike USC and its followers here out West. I am starting to get the same kind of vibes from those who want to let the OSU rivalry go. tThis will certainly not make me popular in this forum, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

• Great post! 2

Canzano is selling out Oregon, and his Duck readers for the biggest theft ever in NCAA history.  You know me; I always present facts and reasonable rationale.

See it on Monday...

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think Oregon did what they had to do when we left for the Big10 conference. Now OSU and WSU are doing what they need to do to have the best chance of surviving the beak up of the PAC-12. The ten schools that left are doing what they need to do to get as much money as possible from the PAC-12. I do not blame either side for looking out for their best interest. The courts will decide how much money each school will receive and neither side will get everything that they want.

As a native Oregonian and lifelong Duck fan, I hope the Civil War football game continues to be played every year. The Civil War is good for the State of Oregon. I am glad that both the men's and women's basketball teams plan on playing each year. I am positive that the baseball, softball and volleyball teams will continue as well.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If they get away with stealing more than their one-twelfth share, the we should never play them again in any sport.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Hate to say it, but right now the Washington schools seem to be doing a better job of keeping the emotional, bridge burning rhetoric in check enough so as to let cooler minds negotiate a continuance of their rivalry. Pullman could be blaming Seattle for their demise as much as Seattle could be screaming bloody murder over the Cougs conspiring with the Beavs for all that cash, but instead appear to be retaining focus on the bigger picture of a continuing tradition over who gets how much in the short term.

Don’t get me wrong. 400 LARGE is a lot of dough. But is it worth building a Berlin Wall over?

The Civil War is an Oregon tradition.  I grew up in a house divided.  I'm with you JB89, the CW is good for the state of Oregon, I'd hate to see it go away.

I feel the courts will square the $ part of the equation and everybody can move on.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Stealing should not be rewarded.

Mr. FishDuck