FishDuck Article

Will the Oregon Ducks Face Michigan in the Rose Bowl?

Bryan Fischer of Fox Sports posted his bowl projections this week, as Washington notably doesn’t crack the College Football Playoff, and our Oregon Ducks football program catapults into a matchup with Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Now, ahead of our rivalry game this Friday against the Oregon State Beavers, these predictions may feel a bit erroneous. Still, it’s a fun ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Bryan Fischer of Fox Sports posted his bowl projections this week, as Washington notably doesn't crack the College Football Playoff, and...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Alex, it is fun to think about how OBD's would fair against other top teams around the country.

My thoughts about Michigan:

The Wolverines, as you say are a tough out. Upon review of their schedule they have played only 2 teams with winning records in PSU and Maryland. They struggled to win those games.

The other 9 teams on UM's schedule have no pulse. They offered little challenge to the Wolverines. 

The Wolverines have played no offenses like the huskies, trojans or Ducks. They havent even played offenses as potent as the cougars, bears, wildcats and beavers.

Against tOSU the Wolverines will truly be tested on both sides of the ball. TCU scored at will in the CFP on rhe vaunted 2022 UM defense.

If UM and Oregon played now?  Ducks would win at a neutral site. This Duck team maybe the most complete team Oregon has ever fielded.

IMHO, the Beavers, in the Civil War game, present a greater challenge than the Wolverines.

DL the staff and players, when focused can beat any team they face.

Go Ducks! Don't look past a dangerous butt hurt Beaver team.

After the CW game, you will only play teams ranked in the top 4..... this is so exciting for this fan!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/22/2023 at 7:29 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Alex, it is fun to think about how OBD's would fair against other top teams around the country.

I'll bottom-line it: Right now, the Ducks can beat any team in America. 

No hyperbole, no smack talking. It's just a fact. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1

On 11/22/2023 at 6:36 AM, Desert Duck said:

No hyperbole, no smack talking. It's just a fact. 

I like your confidence DD, but right now the Ducks had just better beat the Oregon State Beavers. One step at a time.  

As you so rightly say "no hyperbole, no smack talking.  It's just a fact."

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like when you say it is a 50-50 call. I look at games as how many times out of 10 would we beat a team, all things equal. Against ASU it would be 10-0 anywhere, anytime. Some of the other teams not so easy.

What really counts is I see the beav game as 9-1 at Autzen. There is little chance the beavs come away with a win against this team at Autzen.

This team needs to make sure that one chance doesn't happen. Just keep focusing on the game ahead of them, and the championship game, game against Michigan and all the rest will line up nicely.

In my view--beating Michigan would be easier than beating Washington, and beating the Beavers is still going to be a challenge.  I enjoy the thoughts, but I've got two games to savor first!

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/22/2023 at 7:50 AM, Mic said:

I like your confidence DD, but right now the Ducks had just better beat the Oregon State Beavers. One step at a time.  

As you so rightly say "no hyperbole, no smack talking.  It's just a fact."

Exactly. And since the UW game, it's certainly been a total "one game at a time" season.

And they way our Ducks have operated and focused that way since then, as you know, has been exceptionally impressive. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This is one game i won't know who to cheer for. 😎 

On 11/22/2023 at 9:28 AM, Quackanadian said:

This is one game i won't know who to cheer for. 😎 

Uh-oh... The conflict is strong in this one 😉

I don't mean to be assumptive, but by looking at your OBD board name, it appears that you are a Canadian Duck who may be struggling with subconscious, or perhaps, semi-conscious Beaver tendencies.

Plus, depending on your lineage, there could be some latent genetic Beaver DNA factors as well.

Consequently, your pre-programmed psyche-protective apparatus (i.e., such Freudian psychological defenses as dissociation, denial, displacement, or projection) is attempting to intervene to allow you to temporarily alleviate your intolerable distress.

And it should be added that these defenses reside in your unconscious mind, which is another way of saying... gawd forbid, that you might be a mentally repressed Beaver.

Sadly, according to DSM-5 Mental Disorders, there is no known cure for this disfunction... but 12-Step programs have helped many.

May the Duck Force of goodness & light be with you.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Beat the beevs...or we'll be lucky to get the Holiday bowl.  Then, the mutts.  At that point, we are likely to make the playoff.  FSU and Alabama, hope they lose, Texas too...and no controversy.  Either tOSU or Michigan in a 2 vs 3 matchup, very possible.  We can beat either.  

My family has attend ed both Oregon and OSU, but I have no divided loyalty. 

DUCKS, all the way.

My daughter was a classmate of DAT and Pharaoh Brown (she rven had an almost identical knee injury to his... not the greatest connection, eh).

My son worked as an aid to Former Duck  associate hc/TE coach, Neal Zoumboukus. 

My step dad played for Beavis, and was a rabid fan of that poor benighted program. I never quite got his love for the Great Pumpkin.

Ducks by 22!

Works for me!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2023 at 6:36 AM, Desert Duck said:

Agreed.

Also, I do not think Harbaugh on the sidelines or not makes much of a difference.  Same for any HC since the coordinators make most of the calls during a game.

Heck, hate to say it but maybe we beat the ewe dub with Lanning elsewhere.

On 11/22/2023 at 10:54 AM, Steven A said:

Ooooohhhhh....  I don't know about this one.  Maybe if Dan's allowed in the locker room for his pre-game pep talk before sent away.  I can't see Jim Harbaugh having quite the same effect on his team as Dan seems to have on this one.  If you know what I mean?  😶 

I believe that Michigan will lose to Ohio State this weekend.  I’m hoping the game will be a blowout. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/22/2023 at 11:54 AM, Steven A said:

Is there new speculation about Lanning that I haven't heard about?

On 11/22/2023 at 11:50 AM, Desert Duck said:

Is there new speculation about Lanning that I haven't heard about?

I think what they are saying that we probably would have beaten UW if Lanning was suspended like Harbaugh. Nothing about going to another school.

• Thumbs Up 2

Agreed.

Also, I do not think Harbaugh on the sidelines or not makes much of a difference.  Same for any HC since the coordinators make most of the calls during a game.

Stats say otherwise. Michigan offense is off almost 20 points with Harbaugh absent. Most of it is the night and day difference in QB play.

Real question is how Oregon would do against what most likely is the best offensive line, and defense in the country. Having watched the top six teams. I came to the conclusion Michigan just smothers you like a thick blanket.

It doesn't look flashy. But it's very draining to watch the snowball just slowly grow, knowing it's inevitable you're gonna get rolled. Oregon is like a bomb on the other hand.

Ten minutes in, you feel yourself blown away.

We'll see how well Michigan does against explosive players this week. Ohio State isn't as explosive as usual, but Harrison, Stover, Ebuka, and Henderson are going to present issues.

On 11/22/2023 at 12:10 PM, OregonDucks said:

I believe that Michigan will lose to Ohio State this weekend.  I’m hoping the game will be a blowout. 

You aren't rooting for America's team?

Agreed.

Beg to differ.

I think having the head coach on the sideline is important, especially as it pertains to Harbaugh and Saturday’s game against Ohio State.

While the coordinators make the calls, the head coach often consults, and sometimes overrules his assistants.

It would be a huge boon to the Wolverines if Harbaugh were to be on the sideline Saturday. And if Michigan loses at the Big House, Harbaugh’s absence will surely be cited as a contributing factor.

On 11/22/2023 at 12:30 PM, Desert Duck said:

Uh-oh... The conflict is strong in this one 😉

I don't mean to be assumptive, but by looking at your OBD board name, it appears that you are a Canadian Duck who may be struggling with subconscious, or perhaps, semi-conscious Beaver tendencies.

Plus, depending on your lineage, there could be some latent genetic Beaver DNA factors as well.

Consequently, your pre-programmed psyche-protective apparatus (i.e., such Freudian psychological defenses as dissociation, denial, displacement, or projection) is attempting to intervene to allow you to temporarily alleviate your intolerable distress.

And it should be added that these defenses reside in your unconscious mind, which is another way of saying... gawd forbid, that you might be a mentally repressed Beaver.

Sadly, according to DSM-5 Mental Disorders, there is no known cure for this disfunction... but 12-Step programs have helped many.

May the Duck Force of goodness & light be with you.

I simply live across the border from Michigan and have cheered for them since the mid 80s.

My guess is you forgot which potential game I was referring too. Haha....

Thanks for the DSM laughs, but the only "Beaver" I cheer for are the Canadian ones that you tip while leaning back over the stage edge....

• Thumbs Up 1