Charles Fischer

Well...THAT Changed My Saturday!

I lined up all the games today, and was going to bask in the glow of an Oregon victory, and check out future opponents with all conference championship games taking place.

So much for that!

I will record them anyway in order to check out the losers later, of which one will be our probable NYD opponent.  So instead--I will go to the office to work on a bunch of FishDuck and Our Beloved Ducks Forum stuff, as there is always tons to do in the background to make it all happen.

One project is an entirely new registration process for those who sign up.  The objective is to learn more about our new members, and to sort out the Trolls and Spammers before they ever get into the forum.  I will have to manually approve everyone up-front, but if I get enough information from them--it becomes easier and the bad-guys are unlikely to answer all of my questions.

It Got Me to Thinking...

When I was responding last night and dealing with some unpleasantries associated with keeping this forum a GREEN REFUGE, I had written in the Pinned Post at the top about how it was an honor to be in this community.

Now, that sounds pretentious-as-hell, and considering the ego I have--I loved the sound of it.  Yet, when you consider what we have....how rare it is, how it is truly a safe place from the nastiness of the rest of the world, and all the familiar people you see posting and the comfort that comes with that--maybe it is not a stretch?

Considering all the work and time it takes to "keep this Duck Pond clean," and what it takes to stay on top of the technology, and this is all offered for free?

Yep, writing this out has convinced me to include in the new registration process that it is an honor to be among this fine group.  I really love and care about the Men and Women of this community, as they too, want civility.

Done rambling.  But this was instructive for me.

Charles

Oregon Craft Beer.jpg

I Love my Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Yeah, lost my interest in today's games too.  Now I hope Bama wins, Texas wins, chaos ensues 🤣

Go Ducks!  VB in the sweet 16.  Fiesta bowl and 12 wins?  Playoff next year? 

• Thumbs Up 4

You mean there are some games today!

My flag stays out all day, and not at half-mast.

As always, GO DUCKS.

IMG_1834.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

What is this football you speak of?

• Haha 1

Still watching the games today. Not with the same interest.

Now I'm hoping all the undefeated teams win.

Four undefeated teams in the playoffs would be very interesting.

I'm very curious what bowl we play in and who we play.

Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, FSU would all be great opponents.

Fortunately we have a coach like Dan Lanning, who has given us a team/program worthy of playing for conference championships and in NY6 bowl games.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes, the one upside of OBD losing and/or having the rare bad season is that it gives me back my Saturdays.

I try to not let Duck games dictate my weekends by using DVR, but when they're in the thick of the CFP hunt I cave and start watching games live (or very nearly live).

Had they won yesterday I would have killed today watching all the other games. Instead my kids get some more dad time.

Priorities. 🙂

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, Charles. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I'm drowning my sorrows and hoping for wins from Bama, Texas, and FSU to throw the CT. a curve ball. Fortunately, my IPA is not flat.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've lost my interest in the rest of the college football season and will not watch the games today or any of the bowl/playoff games.  The only reason for me to watch Oregon play in the bowl game is to see Ty Thompson, if Bo Nix decides to opt out. 

On to the NFL season.  Go Niners!

This post, and these comments, put a big smile back on my face. I was primed to immerse myself in the games today. I might have even skipped a birthday party… where, at said birthday party, someone asked me if Texas was winning, and, I had completely forgot that it was even on. The L was painful, and the sting hasn’t worn off, yet, but it’s good to know that I’m not alone. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 1:02 PM, JMac said:

it’s good to know that I’m not alone.

This is exactly why I got back on here today.

I went to bed last night thinking I'd be on a break from all things OBD for a while, but today I found myself wanting to connect a bit with like-minded Duck fans.

And to touch on the other part of the original post, had this been an open forum littered with UW trolls and super grumpy Duck fans venting, I wouldn't have been back on here. It's the dirty work Charles does "keeping the pond clean" that allows us to have these sorts of exchanges without having to sift through a bunch of....stuff....that would only further our own disappointment.

Thanks Charles. That IPA is well deserved.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm glancing sideways occasionally at the ESPN app to see a score or two but don't give much of a rat's behind about who wins what, except to draw a bead on who Oregon may play in a bowl game. Other than that, getting a head start on some winter tasks. 

Yeah, a few days of mourning is in order. I appreciate the way the OBDF is getting through this and that we all have a platform where we can constructively vent and commiserate. 

Thanks, Charles 

I made a Costco run and am now watching the SEC Championship game. I like good football, so I’m enjoying it. However, Bama is totally dominating UGA’s defense.

Yeah, half interested in today's action, I turned on the TV and did my customary quick scan of the major sports channels. Lo and behold, stumbled upon the second of the Ducks vs Wolverines basketball game. What a doozy!

Ducks win in overtime on a clutch three-pointer by Jackson Shelstad as time expires. Not particularly proud of patting myself on the back, but I--after seeing this kid play in last year's Les Schwab Tournament--I proclaimed on this site that this kid is going to be a great player. The kid needs work on his shooting, but his passing and on-ball defense are already outstanding. And, the kid wants the ball in his hands when the game is on the line.

He's going to be better than our beloved Payton Pritchard if he stays for a full four years. For me, it's hard to take your eyes off him when he's on the court. He just glides around the court like a cat, ready to pounce.

(Helped take a little bit of the sting out of last night's disappointment.)

• Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been watching the games today while I've been decorating the Christmas tree, and that's probably what I would have done even if the Ducks had won last night.

Sometimes you just have to multitask.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’m multi-tasking, too.

Watching football…..and reading the Thursday Murder Club.

Great way to spend an afternoon.

I too have not watched any football today. Gosh I thought I would be in the minority.😞 Can’t wait for signing day and hope next season is as entertaining as this one.

Guess I will drown my taste buds tomorrow watching NFL tomorrow at the local pub where I can watch all the games at once. Lot of Duck fans will be there so I will have to re-live the disappointment again but that is football.

It has been a great season and loads of fun pondering, Howard’s favorite quote I think, over the success and failures of our beloved Ducks. 

Thanks Mr. FishDuck.

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2023 at 12:39 PM, OregonDucks said:

I've lost my interest in the rest of the college football season and will not watch the games today or any of the bowl/playoff games.  The only reason for me to watch Oregon play in the bowl game is to see Ty Thompson, if Bo Nix decides to opt out. 

On to the NFL season.  Go Niners!

It wouldn’t shock me if Bo decides to play, though it might not be the best business decision.

I just think he’ll want to finish on a high note and stick with his teammates one last time.

• Applause 1

I understand why college players have opted out of bowl games in the past.  I wonder if NIL will result in more guys playing?

And, does potential opponent motivate some guys to want to play?

On 12/2/2023 at 5:27 PM, DUCKED said:

It wouldn’t shock me if Bo decides to play, though it might not be the best business decision.

I just think he’ll want to finish on a high note and stick with his teammates one last time.

Bo has certainly earned that right; however, I believe that Ty Thompson starting the bowl game would be better for the Oregon football program.  We need to see what TT can do in a pressure situation, against a quality opponent.  Let him have a couple of weeks to prepare to be the guy and turn him loose.  

What do we have to lose?

• Thumbs Up 2

For those of you who aren’t watching football today, I think it’s good that you’re avoiding this evening’s games. Watching FSU vs. Louisville is like watching Iowa’s offense play against Iowa’s defense on a perpetual loop.

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1