FishDuck Article

2023 Oregon Football: Agree on These Reflections?

Let's welcome Jon Joseph, (an OBD forum regular) back as a FishDuck Writer!  He is reviewing some of his "hits" and "misses" of the season, which makes us ponder about our own predictions concerning the 2023 Oregon football season.

FISHDUCK.COM

OK, Oregon lost twice to UDub, lost twice to a coach, Kalen DeBoer, who is now 9-0 versus Top 25 opponents. Including the three wins by a total of six points…
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Welcome back JJ as a Fish Duck Writer. Your posts are always thought provoking, informative and enhance the OBDF.......

This article is no different and offers the Forum much to "ponder". I would like to comment on just a few... .

This fan (and this makes me barf) agrees the putrid dogs should be ranked #1. Michigan played only 3 ranked teams and most on their schedule would struggle to score points against FCS schools.

Washington faced a number of challenges throughout the season and won on the road againsy ranked teams. Not to mention winning against OBD's, twice.

The 2023 Ducks, IMHO are the most complete Duck team to take the field. The Ducks lacked 1 key piece, a K Thibs type, unstoppable Edge Rusher. The Duck edges are very good but not K Thibs.

My hat is off to. KD and the huskies.

Speaking of Kalen D.....when he came to uw, his 7 year head coaching record was 79-9. WOW...

Now his HC record at uw is 23-2 and a CFP invite.... ..2 more victories and his combine FSU and uw record would be 46-7. Similar to CK.....

I think any team and HC that faces KD has a KD problem. Not just DL! The BIG has no idea whats coming their way next year with KD.

DL may out recruit KD. However, KD's game plans and in game adjustments are top level.

I am very proud of DL and his powerhouse recruiting, portal acumen and player development.

2 seasons, 21-5 record that includes 4 losses by 12 points....thats darn good.... DL just needs more seasoning...

The BIG has no idea whats coming their way next year with DL.

Top 10 recruiting and key pieces in the portal will close out an exceptional, yet bittersweet, 2023 season.

Go Ducks

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thank you Jon Joseph for writing today's article!  Welcome back.  I love your wit and style of writing.  You had me with the GK "rotten Apple deal".

It's been a good season watching our Ducks and reading everything on the forum, especially your posts.

Go Ducks! Win the Fiesta Bowl!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great stuff Mr. Joseph, and I don't just agree, I enjoyed the journey you took me on with you writing!

When I reflect I had a pretty perfect fantasy record, as my dream scenario was a close loss in Seattle, and then redemption in the championship game. That scenario played out, until that fatal first quarter. Happily this is just Coach Lanning's second season and putting together a dream scenario that long is beyond laudable.

My concern about the defense was unfounded. Lanning put together an even better defense, but is there another Williams brother to lead the way next season? Those concerns should be muted by another year with stability at the coaching position on defense. The consistency along with the recruiting Tosh will again bring should continue to elevate our defense to an even BIGger standard.

On offense a thousand yard rusher and two in the passing game, just wow! The O in Oregon is back, even if it went missing at one critical moment. With Stein back we should see the offensive output grow, and Lanning will surprise us again, as the trajectory is up, not sideways, or down!

I reflect on being pleasantly surprised, and hopeful with the direction on the field and off! A truly delightful year, and hopefully a great New Year!

• Applause 1

Jon ... Jon.  No need to stay after school.  No need for self-flagellation.  None of us had a perfect year of prediction or analysis.  A thing you did with perfection is writing a wonderful article and tons of accurate, informative, and entertaining posts here at OBD.  Many thanks.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

This good news that you will be writing featured articles again for FishDuck.com.keep the facts and humor coming, Jon.

And oh..in News local to you (South Carolina), have you noticed that Beamer has as many in the Portal as in his 2024 inbound class of recruits? Keep your eyes on Nyck Harbor. He may yet become a Duck some day.

• Wow 1

Thank you for the great comments and the accolades. It is great to be participating in this great OBD community as a writer, joining a terrific group of scribes. 

I am sad at the 0-3, but I am happy to see many of the comments giving DeBoer his just due.

1st Pac-12 coach to run the Pac-12 schedule and title game since the Pac-10 went to the Pac-12.

The HC of the only Pac-12 team to Playoff repeat. Hopefully, he will fare better vs. Texas than UW did against Bama in the 2026 Peach Bowl. In 2014, Oregon played a team from Dixie, FSU, in the Rose Bowl. Which was nice. 

With Georgia's loss to Alabama ending the Dawgs 29-game winning streak, the Seattle Huskies lead the nation in consecutive wins at 20. Friend Happy, in his comment, pointed out the incredible record that DeBoer has as a head coach. I don't care if it's Sioux Falls or Niagara Falls, it's one heck of a record. 

I can't go against Liberty so instead, Go Ducks! Extinguish the Flames!

• Thumbs Up 2

That was the 2016 playoff game, DUH! At my age, I am in no hurry to advance the seasons.

@Jon Joseph Great article, with much appreciated reflection.

Naturally I'm going to go point by point and give my two cents . . . not really 🙂, at least not about everything, ha

Here are some of my general takes:

- re: Media Deal/Streaming - Imagine if Deion Sanders made his P12 debut in 2022. Networks would have sprinted to sign a media deal with the Conference of Champions; especially when they saw the collection of QBs starting for P12 in 2023.

I'm glad the Apple deal didn't work out. I just read that Apple TV + and Paramount + are considering bundling their content. Turns out there's still demand for a one-stop place for all one's favorite content . . . and that bifurcating content across 10 streaming platforms that all charge $10/month (or more) may not be the best model.

- I predicted a 9-3 record for the Ducks based on historical performance against winning/ranked teams. I was re-taught an important lesson: Historical performance doesn't always predict future outcomes . . . especially with a Heisman-caliber QB.

- I didn't think the OL would be a "weak link", per se, but it was definitely an "unknown" for me. Glad the Ducks proved me wrong . . . except in the P-12 Championship game?

- I was very skeptical that the 2023 defense would improve as much as it did . . . to my undying shame. EXCEPT against UW.

That's enough from me. Thank you for giving us topics to discuss and banter about.

• Thanks 1

I enjoyed the season and was pleased to see our overall d improve. However, passing d needs to improve much more if we are to be legit contenders from year to year.

• Thumbs Up 1

That’s a great list. I agree with everything except #4.  Stein is a great coach but we would have been undefeated and going to the playoffs with Dillingham. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow Jon... what a great article. You are also a gifted writer. I wish I had more time for a longer comment, but I just have time for a drive-by this afternoon. 

Thanks again, and have a great weekend. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2023 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Let's welcome Jon Joseph, (an OBD forum regular) back as a FishDuck Writer!  He is reviewing some of his "hits" and "misses" of the season, which makes us ponder about our own predictions concerning the 2023 Oregon football season.

FISHDUCK.COM

OK, Oregon lost twice to UDub, lost twice to a coach, Kalen DeBoer, who is now 9-0 versus Top 25 opponents. Including the three wins by a total of six points…

With all your proverbial wit intact.  Nicely done, Jon.  Welcome aboard the FishDuck express.

• Thanks 1

For many who are new here...Jon Joseph as been a prolific writer over the 12 year history of FishDuck.  I just looked it up and found that he has written an astounding 87 articles for FishDuck.com, and hundreds of posts on the forum!

Good to have him back on the bridge of this starship...

giphy.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

I'm so happy to be beamed back up onto the OBD Mother Ship!

Thanks, Charles, et al.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1