Charles Fischer

Oregon's FIRST EVER Rimington Award Winner: Jackson Powers-Johnson

EUGENE, Ore. – Oregon All-American Jackson Powers-Johnson was named the winner of the 2023 Rimington Trophy, presented annually to the most outstanding center in NCAA Division I college football, on Friday night during The Home Depot College Football Awards Show.

Also named Walter Camp first-team All-America during the show, Powers-Johnson leads all FBS centers in PFF pass-blocking grade (91.3), run-blocking grade (84.2) and overall grade (83.9). He was a two-time winner of the Pac-12 Offensive Lineman of the Week, while also being named a semifinalist for the Outland Trophy.

“We are very proud of Jackson for earning this outstanding honor as the best center in college football,” Oregon head coach Dan Lanning said. “This is something he has put a tremendous amount of effort towards, and combined with his special talents the results speak for themselves. Jackson has done a terrific job for us this season, both on the field and as a leader within our program. He has grown so much as both a player and a person and is incredibly deserving of this award.”

The Ducks center led an offensive line that has been dominant in 2023 leading the nation with just five sacks allowed, four fewer than any other FBS team, while ultimately being named a finalist for the Joe Moore Award honoring the nation’s top offensive line.

Powers-Johnson_WSU_EE

In addition to being named a first-team Walter Camp All-American, Powers-Johnson earned first-team All-America honors from CBS/247 Sports, The Athletic, Pro Football Focus, USA Today and the College Football Network earlier this week while also claiming Sports Illustrated second-team recognition. 

"There’s no one more deserving. I am proud of the work and leadership JPJ has shown since he stepped foot on campus," Oregon offensive line coach A'Lique Terry said. "I remember talking with his dad during his recruiting about this very moment and for him to be here a few years later as the Rimington Trophy winner is a testament to his consistent work ethic and mindset to be his best self daily. Thankful and proud of JPJ for helping lead our room all year and being consistent in his play of physicality and dominance no matter the circumstances, and it now leading to his recognition as the best center in the country. Forever grateful for JPJ."

Powers-Johnson is the first Oregon center to win the Rimington Trophy. He joined Hroniss Grasu (2013, 2014) and Max Unger (2008) as finalists.

2023 Powers-Johnson Awards

• Rimington Trophy (Winner)
  • Walter Camp All-America Team (First Team)
  • CBS/247Sports All-America Team (First Team)
  • The Athletic All-America Team (First Team)
  • Pro Football Focus All-America Team (First Team)
  • USA Today All-America Team (First Team)
  • College Football Network All-America Team (First Team)
  • Sports Illustrated All-America Team (Second Team)
  • College Football Network Offensive Center of the Year
  • All-Pac-12 Conference (First Team)
  • Outland Trophy (Semifinalist)
  • Pac-12 Offensive Lineman of the Week (Weeks 4 & 13)
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 4
  • Applause 8
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

And a great ambassador for all things Oregon football.  Well earned, well deserved JPJ!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

FYI, JPJ is the first, and ONLY PAC12 recipient of the Rimington Award... That is impressive!

• Applause 2

An all-time favorite hog.....JPJ!  Now go protect Justin in LA please

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1

On 12/8/2023 at 9:42 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Sports Illustrated All-America Team (Second Team)

Whoever built the team for SI is blind!

• Thumbs Up 1

Keep breaking the tape, JPJ.

Gotta give credit where due....JPJ was a Cristobal recruit.  One of the few who stayed and excelled, but boy was his upside apparent, and now realized.  Poncho might be the next star...

(Poncho) Iapani Laloulu is fast, athletic, and has a mean streak.

Oregon Football: Iapani Laloulu Named Midseason True Freshman All-American  by 247Sports - Sports Illustrated Oregon Ducks News, Analysis and More

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

No doubt Mario uses this as a recruiting tool. He’s probably still touting Penei’s Outland Trophy. He recruited JPJ, but the current coaching staff got him into this position. This is his first year starting on the OL.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 12/8/2023 at 7:42 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Powers-Johnson is the first Oregon center to win the Rimington Trophy. He joined Hroniss Grasu (2013, 2014) and Max Unger (2008) as finalists.

That’s some pretty impressive company. Both Grasu and Unger have played in the League for awhile.  

Congrats JPJ!

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Applause 1

Congratulations Jackson!  Oregon has made great use of another Utah boy. 🙂

• Go Ducks! 1

Very happy for JPJ.  Might this not help, indirectly, with future recruiting?  It used to be a gimme that this award would go to a player from either the SEC or Big-10, or so it seemed.  Oh, that's right!  Oregon's now a part of the B1G....

Great accomplishment! BTW: re the post headline, it's "Rimington" not "Remington".

• Thanks 1

I hope they get the Moore award as well.  This OLine was miles ahead of where I thought they could be, and doing so without Strother and Angilau who I think most assumed would be in the rotation if not starters.  guards Jones & Harper excelled along with the Tackles Conerly and Cornelius

... really hope we have 3/5 come back for the B1G shift next season... but if this was JPJ's swan song season, a BIG salute to this team-first player who always rally'd the team and fans and truly embodied the spirit of being a college athlete.  I still remember him playing DT in emergency as a freshman and how his Motor and relentlessness was something I had'nt really seen on the lines since watching Nick Reed.  STUD🏆

• Thumbs Up 1

First of all, congrats to him.  He is the top center in college football, but he is a lot more than a faceless player on the field.

As my late father used to say, “that guy has a turd in each hip pocket”.  He would use that description for anyone who was very comfortable in their own skin.  JPJ is that kind of guy.  My dad would have loved his interviews: no pretense, no ego, no lack of things to say, just the facts with a sprinkle of goofy and always right down the company line.

His athletic talents and stick-to-it-ness are the reason he won the award, but I have to think that his personality and ease in his surroundings played a part too.

JPJ is an amazing leader, athlete, an example that perseverance can result in excellence.

JPJ has overcome so many obstacles and injuries to excel in his craft. Who knows what a “real man of Oregon” is, but From my perspective he is one. 

We are blessed as fans to have had JPJ and Bo Nix together in the same teams as heroes on and off the field.

It will be interesting to see them move through the next phases of their lives. I wish them well and thank them for their contributions to the University of Oregon and Oregon Football.