Charles Fischer

A Birdie Whispered to a Duck: Dante Moore Update

From Michigan On3, and Pete Nakos of On3:

Summary: Things are trending to Oregon for Moore. Michigan is in the mix, but no visit has been scheduled. Moore wants to be developed. Michigan could fall out of the race if J.J. enters the draft in January or if Harbaugh leaves for the NFL (which is very possible if he does not extend his contract by Dec 31). Nakos wouldn't be surprised if he committed this weekend. The Ducks are crushing it in the portal. 

"""
Michigan made contact with former five-star recruit and UCLA signal-caller Dante Moore, who has three years of eligibility remaining. U-M was listed as one of the contenders immediately following his transfer portal entrance, but Oregon is really the only team that has had any buzz in the recruitment as of late. He arrived Thursday for his visit to Eugene, where he was once committed as a prep prospect, per On3’s Pete Nakos.

Moore started five games for the Bruins last season, having an up-and-down season like many freshmen. He got the early playing time he desired but after one season of college football seems to have realized how important development is.

“It’s significant that someone like Dante is willing to go and hear Oregon out,” Nakos told TheWolverine.com. “I haven’t really heard of any other schools in the mix [this week], except Oregon. Obviously, Michigan was in communication. I kind of viewed them as a school in the mix.

“Everything I know, though, is that Dante would really love to be developed, and he still wants to play at a really high level. So, I don’t think going somewhere and starting right away is exactly what he’s looking for. If J.J. does or would come back, I think that will make Michigan really attractive.

“But yeah, going to Oregon and everything, working with Dan Lanning and [former Oklahoma starting quarterback] Dillon Gabriel, I think those are all attractive variables to him.”

Report: Former UCLA QB Dante Moore expected to take a visit to Oregon

Michigan still having playoff games to prepare for, and thus McCarthy not being focused on his decision, are things that the Wolverines wouldn’t trade. But that may hinder them in the race for Moore.

“That makes me wonder if everything goes well at Oregon, will he commit to the Ducks? Nakos wondered aloud. “I don’t know that for sure, but just the way things are trending right now, I wouldn’t be surprised.”

At the current moment, getting in on any of the one-year rentals (of which Moore is not) isn’t really possible for the Maize and Blue. However, there will be options as time moves on.

“The last time I checked, though, there are over 110 FBS quarterbacks in the portal, which is ridiculous,” Nakos revealed. “Michigan is definitely going to have some options for a one-year guy, whether they need it or not. And they’ll probably get a good idea of what J.J. is going to do in early January.”
Most aggressive teams in the portal so far: “I think [Colorado head coach] Deion [Sanders] has done a nice job going after linemen, like we all knew he needed to do. Now, are they good? I think we’ll find out in September. Ole Miss has been impressive, just getting people on campus. And then Oregon, man, is killing it. They land Dillon, they’re going to get Dante for a visit, they had [former Texas A&M defensive tackle] Walter Nolen out there this past weekend. Those are all the top names. I know they’re trying to get a wide receiver or two on campus this weekend. 

-------------------------------------------------------

Good thing Dano did not burn any bridges when he lost out on Moore last year....

moore-jpg.479158

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I wasn't initially interested in Moore coming back, but if it's to learn under Gabriel and develop for 2025, I'm all in.  If he ends up not being the 5* we hoped (a la TT) then they'll find someone else.  He's still worth a shot to prove he's got the right stuff.  Could set us up well for a couple years

If that is true, that's a very interesting 180 since last season with him chasing after starter minutes right out of school.  I suppose taking so many lumps in that experience may have made him realize he needed more time than jumping straight into the deep end.

If he does commit, that does plug up a gaping hole in the QB room...as much as I like Novasad I don't think he's ready for real playing time should Gabriel go down with an injury.  Moore would have just enough for Oregon to survive a few games in that scenario.

The burning question for me is if Moore decides to come to Eugene, how does that affect the recruitment of Akili Smith Jr.?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

With all the moving pieces happening related to QB’s, I’m hoping Novasad and Moga will stay for the long haul.  Can’t say Moga isn’t motivated as he’s already in town ready to practice with the team during bowl prep.  Pretty sure both, especially Moga with his 10.5 speed, are more elusive than Moore.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is Moore the best backup QB in the portal? His numbers were pretty bad at UCLA. 

Comp% 53.5

TD 11

Int 9

QBR 33.1 (118th) yikes!

I am not sure Moore can win the backup job next year. Dude couldn't make a play in CK's offense. Seems like the attention doesn't match the production.

• Like 1

Bringing in Gabriel and Moore? WOW!

The young man was mismanaged by Chip last season. UCLA did have a terrific D (UCLA DC has 'transferred' to USC) but in 2023 the Bruins had an O devoid of quality receivers and an average-at-best OL.

..............................................................................................................................................................

OT - The Volleyball Championship game will be played Monday night in Tampa. Hats off to Oregon for making the Elie 8. It will be B1G Nebraska vs. 'SEC' Texas. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/15/2023 at 3:03 PM, Log Haulin said:

Is Moore the best backup QB in the portal? His numbers were pretty bad at UCLA. 

Comp% 53.5

TD 11

Int 9

QBR 33.1 (118th) yikes!

I am not sure Moore can win the backup job next year. Dude couldn't make a play in CK's offense. Seems like the attention doesn't match the production.

Should he sign Oregon it will be interesting to see how he acclimates.  Stein's offense is always marketed as "quarterback friendly"...if Moore does better in Eugene that might reflect that either Moore/Kelly offense was a bad fit or Kelly's Bruin offense may not be as good as advertised.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2023 at 3:53 PM, kirklandduck said:

Should he sign Oregon it will be interesting to see how he acclimates.  Stein's offense is always marketed as "quarterback friendly"...if Moore does better in Eugene that might reflect that either Moore/Kelly offense was a bad fit or Kelly's Bruin offense may not be as good as advertised.

Bruins O wasn't good. For sure. Moore was part of that. He is young so he gets a mulligan.

If Oregon lands Moore. Sure hope they can develop him. If Ducks have to go to the portal in 25', high school QB's are going to notice.

So far Oregon has done pretty well with their QB's under Lanning. Under Stein we saw Ty improve and Nix elevate to a Heisman invite. I am not too worried about what these guys are doing with their Qb's.

My bet is QB's are noticing Oregon is again an elite QB destination. There will be transfers wanting to come, recruits wanting to learn, and a healthy QB pipeline, once again.

One does have to wonder how Mari can still get a viable QB to return his phone calls.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/15/2023 at 4:04 PM, Log Haulin said:

Bruins O wasn't good. For sure. Moore was part of that. He is young so he gets a mulligan.

If Oregon lands Moore. Sure hope they can develop him. If Ducks have to go to the portal in 25', high school QB's are going to notice.

Definitely.  I think he would show improvement under Stein like TT did (or even at a faster rate).  I don't know who Chip Kelly has on his staff but when he was at Oregon he was certainly helped out on QB development by Helfrich and Scott Frost.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2023 at 4:58 PM, kirklandduck said:

I don't know who Chip Kelly has on his staff but when he was at Oregon he was certainly helped out on QB development by Helfrich and Scott Frost.

While he was not a great HC, Mark Helfrich was an outstanding Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach under Chip Kelly.

Mariota and Helfrich Hug_KC_FP.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/15/2023 at 7:04 PM, Log Haulin said:

In today's CFB, HS QBs are warming up in the 'minor leagues' to get paid in the big league.

If you can bring in a P4 all-conference QB then HS recruits are passe. Bo came to Eugene with an Oregon pelt in hand but with mixed results at Auburn. Under Dilly, during his frosh season, he played great but did not up his game before playing under Dilly and then Stein in Eugene. 

Oregon with Division Street, has the money and Oregon has the OC chops to bring in a quality, experienced QB every year.

With a season of coaching at Oregon I think that Moore will be terrific.

On 12/15/2023 at 6:23 PM, Jon Joseph said:

...Oregon has the OC chops to bring in a quality, experienced QB every year.

I am not sure that would make for a better fan experience long term. To compleatly remove the home grown QB we miss out on the Mariota and Herbert experience. Thats a shame. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2023 at 9:39 PM, Log Haulin said:

I am not sure that would make for a better fan experience long term. To compleatly remove the home grown QB we miss out on the Mariota and Herbert experience. Thats a shame. 

Log, my friend, I get it. But nothing makes for a better fan experience than winning games.

To do that today you have to be a terrific recruiter and a terrific portal picker. Managing an NFL roster today pales in comparison to managing a big-time CFB roster. For the most part, 3* QBs who step up from G5 and lower-level P4 programs will make their bones in the lesser programs and get paid when they move up. Like moving up from baseball AAA to the Bigs. 

Do I like this? No. But this is the big-time CFB world in which we live. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2023 at 6:57 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Log, my friend, I get it. But nothing makes for a better fan experience than winning games.

To do that today you have to be a terrific recruiter and a terrific portal picker. Managing an NFL roster today pales in comparison to managing a big-time CFB roster. For the most part, 3* QBs who step up from G5 and lower-level P4 programs will make their bones in the lesser programs and get paid when they move up. Like moving up from baseball AAA to the Bigs. 

Do I like this? No. But this is the big-time CFB world in which we live. 

One things for sure,  college football isn't turning back. Hope the trade off is titles

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

We are set with Dillon now, and Austin and hopefully Moore as backup..  Luke Moga right behind and Akili coming next.  If it gets better, then all the better. Go Ducks.  And along the way, let's beat the crap out of the Liberty "Whatevers"!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/15/2023 at 6:39 PM, Log Haulin said:

I don’t think it’s an either-or.

Oregon should continue to sign high school QBs in the hopes they will strike gold with one. If the coaches aren’t convinced they have a QB who can compete for a conference championship and spot in the playoffs, then they should hit the transfer portal for a proven QB. 

If Oregon had a young Marcus Mariota or Justin Herbert, we wouldn’t have needed Nix or Gabriel. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/15/2023 at 8:57 PM, OregonDucks said:

I don’t think it’s an either-or.

Oregon should continue to sign high school QBs in the hopes they will strike gold with one. If the coaches aren’t convinced they have a QB who can compete for a conference championship and spot in the playoffs, then they should hit the transfer portal for a proven QB. 

If Oregon had a young Marcus Mariota or Justin Herbert, we wouldn’t have needed Nix or Gabriel. 

I am not sure thats the direction this is going. Many are saying signing experienced proven QB's are what is needed year in/out in the new TP era. 

Nothing takes place of live snaps in QB development. It is required for a QB to reach their ceiling with very few exceptions. 

Yes, greatness shows early, but you still have to be forged and pressed in order to reach that top range.

In this "experienced and proven" environment, I doubt a guy like Darren Thomas plays as he did freshman year and gains that experience. Most likely Oregon goes into TP and he transfers out to get snaps.

DT is one of the most loved Ducks of all time. He spent 3 years grinding for Oregon. As did MM and JH and so many others. Do we lose that?

Nix won the hearts of Duck fans. He had 2 years to do it and he is easy to love on and off the field. I could see greatness in Nix through the murkyness that was Auburn.

Gabriel has one year. I hope he balls out and Oregon fan falls in love with the guy on and off the field. It's part of what makes the college experience so great, different from the Pro experience.

How do you feel about Popo, Dorlus or JPJ vs. Burch, Cornelius or Jacobs? How I think of Ifo is different than how I think about Gonzalez. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is kind of a bad example, just speaking a name like that is super fun 😁  

This is a new era and change has happened rapidly. Something I will have to get used to and embrace if I am going to continue to be a fan of the college game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I suppose I have to get use to a lot with the new Oregon Football Program. One thing I like about Gabriel is he is the type of QB I envision Oregon having. If it takes the portal to get a 3* grinder to start at qb for Oregon again then I am all for the portal.

One element I also like about the portal is it heightens competition. If somebody comes into the program, and doesn't live up to his or our expectations, they can move down a rung on the competition scale and find their home. 

It also allows those who were overlooked to move up, and rewards the grinders. In the end this is more like real life, nobody is going to protect you once you leave home other than hard work and good solid decisions.  The portal just moves that process up a bit.

As far as Dante he is learning, and if Lanning and Co. think he can still grow into who they thought he could become I am all for taking a chance on the guy. I do like Moga, looks like Mariota, almost scary how close their skill sets are. 

• Thumbs Up 1

We can never depend on getting a great QB out of the portal every year. Two reasons:

1) They don't grow on trees. Sure, last year the PAC 12 had 3 of them (though one was just a great QB following his coach).  The fact is that there will not always be a very good QB in the Portal every year the Ducks will need to find one. They not only have to be really good, that have to want to leave their teams where they became really good.

2) Oregon will not be the only top tier team looking for a great QB. Great QBs want Heismans, Championships, and top 10 picks. Other top teams in the country are doing better than Oregon at those goals. They won't always want to come here.

Oregon will aways have to recruit and develop HS players. We have had 3 QBs go down with injuries in the past in a single year. By the end of the year, your fourth man up might have to be able to play and he won't come from the Portal.