criticalduck

Please Rethink the "Civil War?"

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Washington Supreme Court denied a request by the 10 outgoing schools to review the...

• Oh no! 1

The thieves have won. Don't pay them anymore money.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully we blow them out and they go 6-6 with their G5 schedule 

Why would we schedule to play Oregon State when they intend to steal 38 million of 2023 revenue Oregon earned?

You know...I am beginning to think that there might be something going on behind closed doors to help all parties come to a Pac-2 agreement?  "We help you, and you help us."

Oregon State's schedule was crap until they added Oregon to it.  Now all the west coast eyes will be on that game, (which helps their media deal) and the attendance at Reser will be packed. So Oregon just gifted a TON of value to OSU, while losing a home game at Autzen in 2024?

Either it is stupid-as-hell, or it is hushed, unknown bargaining happening?  I'm betting on...

Stupid-as-Hell.

Civil War Sack_Craig Strobeck.jpg

• Yikes! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

I say cancel the agreement and put Texas Tech back on the schedule. Forget Oregon State.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/15/2023 at 10:53 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

I say cancel the agreement and put Texas Tech back on the schedule. Forget Oregon State.

On 12/15/2023 at 10:53 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

Too late to fix STUPID!

Now, the Pac-10 needs to file suit in California or Federal Court.

They can pay OBD to come play them now. 

I'm going to stick my neck out and respectfully disagree withe opinions stated above. I think continuing the rivalry is not only a good move for the long run, but as soon as 2025 when instead of an away game at Boise, we have a home game with the Beavers. From a fan viewpoint, it is easier to travel to Corvallis than Boise. From a financial standpoint, it is quite probable that the 2025 OSU game will be a sellout whereas I'm not so sure about TT next year. The traveling costs will also be reduced.

I don't like the ruling on the lawsuit, but if roles were reversed, Oregon would do the same thing. I suspect if the 10 departing members don't receive their fair share of 2023/24 revenues, there will be another lawsuit.There are still PAC12 liability issues to be resolved, including over-payment of TV revenues.This will eventually be sorted out and win or lose, Oregon will survive and we will all move on. If I'm around 10 years from now, as a Duck I would still enjoy watching the rivalries between the 2 schools, not only in football, but in all sports. I think that will be a good thing for all of Oregon.

I do agree, however, that there may have been some political pressure to continue the rivalry.

GO DUCKS!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 10:55 AM, Canvasback said:

I'm going to stick my neck out and respectfully disagree with the opinions stated above.

Doggone it.  We can't have someone reasonable in here!  I disagree, but love having opposing views to give us pause and reflection.  Good Stuff.

Canvasback....I still have this picture you took of me fifteen years

ago, when I was on the Spring Game Chain Crew.  Many thanks!

FishDuck on the Sidelines_Rick LeBrun.jpg

"I've got to run HOW far after a punt?  Not nice to make FAT BOY run!"

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

It all feels like some classic, messy who-gets-the-money divorce with the C***l War playing the child who’s shared between the two parents. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I still have this picture you took of me fifteen years

ago, when I was on the Spring Game Chain Crew.  Many thanks!

Haha. I haven't seen you for a while, but I'll bet you look the same!

• Thanks 1

Although there are good ethical lawyers, they barely move the dial for the rest of them. This whole whose money is it is a lawyer thing, and it isn't directly football or sports related.

I agree with Canvas, we should leave the mud wrestling to the lawyers, and think about the rivalry's history and continue it. Kind of like canceling the Olympics because of bunch of starched shirts try and think what is best for their ilk.

Continuing playing the rodents is the right thing to do. What the lawyers do is seldom the right thing, but sometimes it does work out. No offense to the lawyers who frequent the FishDuck forum. I have met a few good lawyers, and I am sure there are more!

Revive the games after everything is settled.  I am not against that, but to reward stealing right now is....

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

1) OSU & WSU still have to pay the Departing 10 schools revenue for 2023. The only change that might or probably will happen is that 2Pac will reduce that revenue by [insert number of millions]  to deduct taxes, a.k.a. liabilities the Pac owes debtors. If 2Pac cut it too much it will go badly for them in a different lawsuit, or won't pass by a mediator. 

2) If the Departing 10 schools sue in California it is very, very likely that the California justices would side with the Washington court. State courts don't like to overrule against their neighboring states. 

3) The Civil War should only happen twice a decade. Oregon and Oregon fans should not feel sorry for OSU. The Civil War should absolutely not happen in November when we are focused on winning the Big 10. If it needs to be in August, so be it. 

On 12/16/2023 at 1:14 PM, 2002duck said:

1) OSU & WSU still have to pay the Departing 10 schools revenue for 2023.

I do not believe those decisions have been made yet, and their blustering gave us all the impression that they intend to use our monies for their uses with the new conference they create in terms of paying for exit fees of schools, etc.

Perhaps you are giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I will not.  They have made it very clear that if they can screw us out of what we deserve--they will.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Terms of the amended game contract were not immediately disclosed, but a source with knowledge of the matter told The Oregonian/OregonLive the total payouts from UO to BSU for the two games will be $2.6 million. The existing contract called for the home team to pay the visitor $300,000 in 2024 and 2025 and UO to pay BSU $800,000 in 2026, with $1 million for breach of contract.

Oregon is reportedly paying $2.6M to Boise State to shift around the schedule to play the Civil War the next 2 years. That’s a lot of money to pay especially given the team you are trying to help is trying to stick it to you financially.  

Edited by OregonDucks

On 12/16/2023 at 1:42 PM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy.gif

Is that Nick from Young and the Restless???

On 12/16/2023 at 3:31 PM, Annie said:

Is that Nick from Young and the Restless???

I do not know.  I just pulled it from the GIFs available that had the message I wanted to convey, so where ever it came from is fine. 

I stay away from politicians saying things, because it will automatically offend half the people here--even if what he/she is saying is the phrase I'm looking for.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/16/2023 at 1:42 PM, Charles Fischer said:

if they can screw us out of what we deserve--they will.

Understood. I spent a bit of yesterday upset, and my main line of thinking was cancelling the Civil War games. If the Beavers pull tricks, that most likely will happen.

I come from a family of lawyers- some with local ties and season tickets to the Ducks. My uncle went to undergrad and law school at UO, and my father was a federal and administrative judge in Eugene. They are both confident that the Ducks will get a "fair" payment.

My dad is an expert at court issues where cases get shipped around jurisdictions, and he was even appointed by a US President (who was not popular in Eugene I would imagine). He was not amused by some rulings made in this whole affair, but also thinks the Departing 10 could have approached things differently. 

As for me, I'm always very optimistic. I expect the Ducks to win the NC every year since 2000ish, and I expect the Ducks to get paid for 2023!

gt5icrjs4gj51.jpg

Your original post confidently asserted that the departing 10 PAC-12 teams will get what is coming to them. You did not cite any source, but gave the impression that it was a fact, a done deal.

Now you are backtracking into what you feel, and other legal experts who feel that we will be treated fairly. Again, these are all just opinions, yours,  theirs,… and mine. 

I’m not trying to pick on you, as you are a great poster here, but in the end, we are all just stating our opinions. I do not think the remaining two schools are going to play nice, now that they are in a strong legal position.

And yet, they have been valued in the marketplace, as not worthy of being a Power-5 member, since all of the P-5 conferences have rejected them. Their actual value is that of a Mountain West team. Thus they have been overvalued, and overpaid for decades. They should be grateful for the umpteen millions that they have been paid and not deserving of.

Instead, they are trying to stick it to us, and our Athletic Director in turn helps them to the tune of millions of dollars with scheduling them?

I can’t make this stuff up, for how stupid it is. 

If everything turns out fine later, and we are given a fair share after expenses and liabilities, then I will publicly acknowledge that true equity was delivered to Oregon.

But color me skeptical at the least, while trying to withhold my roaring laughter at how plausible the probability is of that becoming true.

Mr. FishDuck

At this point it's time to look to the future. Oregon is going to the second best league(soon to be best). They're going to be on every major network outside ESPN, and are going to have more eyeballs on them. Recruiting is going great, got probably the top transfer target to replace Bo.

Money is flowing in, boosters are pouring in more support, and Ohio State has to honor their agreement to come to Autzen. What is the biggest name going to Oregon State next year? Washington State. What channel can you find them on? 

Two programs going in opposite directions. The Ducks worked their tail feathers off, and are being rewarded. The Beavers built a half straw dam ,and the water is about to wash it away. Puddles may pop in for a quick visit once a year, but then it's on to better parts downstream.

I too, am in the minority, and it may indeed be Pollyanna thinking, but I think it will work out that the beavycougs / pac 2 will not get to keep what they did not earn.  

I believe the $$ in question will be used to settle any unpaid pac 12 debt, and the rest will be equitably split.

I also see a lot of value in a 40 mile road trip every other year.  As the talent gap widens, OSU will start to resemble Portland State and UO will soon be treating beavus like Stony Brook.

Hey, here's one good thing about all the bad blood caused by UO leaving home and abandoning their in-state sibling, followed by said sibling keeping the entire cookie jar, sharing it only with their nearby cousin who feels similarly aggrieved. We can go back to calling our annual rivalry game a "Civil War."

• Haha 1