Charles Fischer

Saturday Bowls: Let's Discuss!

The Penn State-Ole Miss game just got more interesting. I figured that Penn State would get steamrolled by the Rebel offense, but Jaxton Dart turned an ankle, and the 'Lions are showing great run blocking out of the gate.

And this fan is cheering for a Georgia blow-out later today. The Bulldogs are absolutely one of the best teams in the US...

Kirby Smart talks Georgia-Florida, looking ahead during bye week

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Lot of wide open OM receivers so far.

No. 10. PSU goes down to No. 11 Ole Miss. No. 7. Ohio State defeated by No. 9 Missouri. 

Mary to the rescue without Prince Taulia by her side? Who knew?

Last I checked, Jordan Travis didn’t play Defense.  FSU D exposed badly so far. 35 points and still only 2nd quarter.  I think even Iowa could score boatloads on these guys.

• Haha 3

Charles getting his wish for a Georgia blow-out.  FSU missing several starters on defense.  35-3 with three minutes left in the half.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The selection committee is breathing a sigh of relief with the way FSU is playing. Way overrated as many suspected.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

FSU is NOT  a playoff team. The committee got it right. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

FSU can just shut up now.  GA should have been in 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Both teams have over 20 players who have opted out for one reason or another.

The depth of capable players for Georgia is unbelievable.  It appears the players they lost have had little impact.

I didn't see their loss to Alabama, 24-27, but that must have been a heck of a game.

Appears Georgia is playing today for a No. 2 ranking.

• Thumbs Up 1

When Oregon played Georgia...3-49 loss, the total yds was 313 to 571, Georgia possession 31:10 of 60.

So far today...3-42, total yds 185 to 381, Georgia time of possession 13:11 of 30:00

• Wow 1

It looks like FSU made good on their threat not to show up to the Orange Bowl.

In all seriousness, they would have been better served to not show up physically.

Penn State putting up decent numbers against Ole Miss on offense...SEC defenses this year are blah.

On 12/30/2023 at 5:28 PM, AllOregon said:

Last I checked, Jordan Travis didn’t play Defense.  FSU D exposed badly so far. 35 points and still only 2nd quarter.  I think even Iowa could score boatloads on these guys.

FSU better hope it does better with the Get Out of ACC Jail litigation.

But I imagine that not a single FSU lawyer will opt out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hats off to Maryland, a team that visits Autzen in 2024. Terrific showing behind back up QBs. 

The New B1G needed this win over the SEC. Four B1G vs. SEC games on Monday. The B1G is a dog (including the Seattle Dawgs) in three of the four games. And for some reason, Michigan is a slight favorite over Bama.

GO BLUE!

Go Ducks! Extinguish the Flames! We are having a Rose Bowl party tomorrow and I do not want to be grumpy come 5 PM on the Right Coast.

FSU D clearly still cycling through Taggert’s “guys.”

Ouch. Brutal beat-down on FSU. 

I'm now quite glad that a playoff spot was not wasted on FSU. 

Man Georgia put up a good fight but FSU was SO dominant! I think the Playoff Committee was wrong leaving them out...

• Haha 1

You guys just missed the ultimate finish to Craig Bohl’s career. A walk-off FG for the win in the Barstool Sports Arizona Bowl.

• Applause 1

Unfortunately for Seminoles fans, that was the FSU JVs vs. the UGA varsity down a few starters but not close to the starters not playing for FSU. And 12-1 UGA was also mad about not having the chance to 3-pete and it showed.

How did Bama need a walk off miracle TD to defeat this Auburn team? Maryland with the B1G all time leader in passing not playing today blew out Auburn. The Auburn run game that punished the Tide D did not show up in Nashville. 

CFB is a mess. Something needs to be done in regard to when players can enter the portal. For example, the guy who would have started at QB for FSU figured he could not sit around while other QBs were being taken from the portal. NFL roster management is a piece of cake compared to the NFL.

Dan Lanning is just one of the CFB coaches trying to cement his early signing day recruiting class,  while pursuing players in the portal, potecting his existing roster from the poachers, and having to prepare for a bowl game. 

Chaos!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Georgia offensive line was literally throwing undersized FSU players out of the way. Men against boys for sure.

On 12/30/2023 at 6:37 PM, Jon Joseph said:

CFB is a mess. Something needs to be done in regard to when players can enter the portal.

I totally agree with you. While they're at it they need to overhaul the NIL rules and probably the entire NCAA bylaws.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

As Kirby Smart said after his team demolished FSU, something needs to be done to prevent so many bowl opt outs and defections. I expect bowls will soon be paying players as an added incentive to play. That might help a bit, but it isn’t going to solve the problem.

It’s true that FSU was missing many key players from their regular season team. That said, even if every one of those guys had played, Georgia still would have won today… by a lot!

• Thumbs Up 2

I am not saying this to gloat in any way but....

The Orange Bowl today reminded me of the Georgia-Oregon game and the TCU Natty beatdown last year. My great Duck buddy drove down from Lake Tahoe to cheer on the Dawgs with me, and like the two aforementioned games, we left the game on but talked and speculated about other things from before halftime. I hate blowouts and would rather see a white knuckler any day (though my heart might disagree)..

Georgia was trying to send the playoff committee a message, but on their own behalf, not FSU's. I, of course, know why Georgia was not selected and am good with that, as are the Georgia players based on post game interviews today. But you are never going to convince me that this Dawgs team is not one of the four best in the country. I have absolutely no quarrels with the four teams in the field and wish them well. I could even root for the Seattle Dawgs in the playoffs, much as that might offend Duck partisans. But my prediction is that the two B1G teams as they have been called here lose to the two so-called SEC teams  in the semis.

I welcome the opportunity to eat the ceremonial crow if I am wrong on both counts.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think Alabama is gong to crush all it pains me to say.

One inconsistency I’m seeing in here and everywhere else is to selectively use bowl results to draw sweeping conclusions.

I tend to be leaning towards you can have takeaways at the micro level (OSU depth isn’t up to snuff with the big boys for instance), but you can’t draw conclusions that one conference is better than another because of overall bowl records at the macro. Bowl season has become an individual game depth measurement.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/31/2023 at 2:57 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I think Alabama is gong to crush all it pains me to say.

One inconsistency I’m seeing in here and everywhere else is to selectively use bowl results to draw sweeping conclusions.

I tend to be leaning towards you can have takeaways at the micro level (OSU depth isn’t up to snuff with the big boys for instance), but you can’t draw conclusions that one conference is better than another because of overall bowl records at the macro. Bowl season has become an individual game depth measurement.

Great take. But you can in my opinion put a value on BCS wins and PO wins. The SEC dominates here. And why shouldn't it, the SEC dominates in recruiting, teams ranked, most seasons in OOC play but not this season, and players forwarded to the NFL. Also, in admistrative, fan, and budgetary support. 

And, no surprise, when a conference has a great bowl season conference fans, administrators and broadcast partners pump it up. Not so good: "Well, bowls don't matter." 

And bowl games go matter for a coach like Mizzou's Drinkwitz who is trying to move Mizzou up to the upper tier of the SEC. To do this requires money. Yes, Ohio State was down a lot of guys but a win over Ohio State means money for Coach Drink and Missouri. 

Believe me, if the SEC goes 4-0 on  Monday vs. the B1G and 6-1 all told, you will hear about it directly of impliedly from ESPN.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2023 at 1:33 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

The Orange Bowl today reminded me of the Georgia-Oregon game and the TCU Natty beatdown last year. My great Duck buddy drove down from Lake Tahoe to cheer on the Dawgs with me, and like the two aforementioned games, we left the game on but talked and speculated about other things from before halftime. I hate blowouts and would rather see a white knuckler any day (though my heart might disagree)..

Georgia was trying to send the playoff committee a message, but on their own behalf, not FSU's. I, of course, know why Georgia was not selected and am good with that, as are the Georgia players based on post game interviews today. But you are never going to convince me that this Dawgs team is not one of the four best in the country. I have absolutely no quarrels with the four teams in the field and wish them well. I could even root for the Seattle Dawgs in the playoffs, much as that might offend Duck partisans. But my prediction is that the two B1G teams as they have been called here lose to the two so-called SEC teams  in the semis.

I welcome the opportunity to eat the ceremonial crow if I am wrong on both counts.

Great take. Thanks.

I have one slight disagreement. Georgia deserved to be in a playoff. Georgia did not deserve to be in a 4-team Invitational. With Bama, a team I assume would have be in as the SEC champ along with UGA, what team do you leave out? 

Conference champion UW that went 13-0 in the Pac-12 for the first time since CU and Utah joined. A team that played 9 and not 8 conference games. A team that defeated 8 bowl teams, including (SIGH) the Ducks twice? (BTW, the Heisman winner from the SEC went 2-3 vs teams with winning records.) A team that led the nation in passing. Conference champ of the conference that led the P5 in OOC wins.

Conference champion Texas with a win on the road at Bama and a single loss to No. 12 Oklahoma, by 3 points at a neutral site. 

Conference champion 13-0 Michigan from the B1G? The winningest team in the history of CFB benched? One of the Bluest Blue Bloods? 

I 100% agree that Georgia should be any kind of logically formatted "PLAYOFF." Extrapolate the PO Ct.'s 2023 final ranking into 2024 and UGA would have been the 7th seed - 1. MI/ 2. TX/ 3. FSU/ 4.AZ/ 5. UW/ 6. Bama/ 7.UGA/ 8. OH ST/ 9. OREGON/ 10. MIzzou/ 11. Penn State/ 12. Liberty.

Georgia would have re-matched against Mizzou in Athens. OREGON would play in Columbus. 

But would the final ranking have looked like this? I hope not. And come 2026 I'm reasonably certain that the 4 highest ranked conference champs will not receive a 1st round bye. Why should Arizona playing in the B12 and ranked No. 14 have the 1st round off? 

I do think that Bama beats Michigan. But if Penix is on I think UW defeats Texas in back-to-back bowl games. Yes, the game is in Dixie but last season UW beat TX in San Antonio. The win in Tuscaloosa was assume, but UW played a more difficult schedule.

Happy New Year to the great Georgia contributors on OBD and best of luck to the Dawgs in 2024!

Man, does the schedule ramp up or what? Clemson, at Bama, Auburn, at Texas, Florida, at Ole Miss, Tennessee, Georgia Tech - bowl winner over B12 UCF. WOW! But go get 'em Bow Wow!

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2023 at 8:54 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. Thanks.

I have one slight disagreement. Georgia deserved to be in a playoff. Georgia did not deserve to be in a 4-team Invitational. With Bama, a team I assume would have be in as the SEC champ along with UGA, what team do you leave out? 

Conference champion UW that went 13-0 in the Pac-12 for the first time since CU and Utah joined. A team that played 9 and not 8 conference games. A team that defeated 8 bowl teams, including (SIGH) the Ducks twice? (BTW, the Heisman winner from the SEC went 2-3 vs teams with winning records.) A team that led the nation in passing. Conference champ of the conference that led the P5 in OOC wins.

Conference champion Texas with a win on the road at Bama and a single loss to No. 12 Oklahoma, by 3 points at a neutral site. 

Conference champion 13-0 Michigan from the B1G? The winningest team in the history of CFB benched? One of the Bluest Blue Bloods? 

I 100% agree that Georgia should be any kind of logically formatted "PLAYOFF." Extrapolate the PO Ct.'s 2023 final ranking into 2024 and UGA would have been the 7th seed - 1. MI/ 2. TX/ 3. FSU/ 4.AZ/ 5. UW/ 6. Bama/ 7.UGA/ 8. OH ST/ 9. OREGON/ 10. MIzzou/ 11. Penn State/ 12. Liberty.

Georgia would have re-matched against Mizzou in Athens. OREGON would play in Columbus. 

But would the final ranking have looked like this? I hope not. And come 2026 I'm reasonably certain that the 4 highest ranked conference champs will not receive a 1st round bye. Why should Arizona playing in the B12 and ranked No. 14 have the 1st round off? 

I do think that Bama beats Michigan. But if Penix is on I think UW defeats Texas in back-to-back bowl games. Yes, the game is in Dixie but last season UW beat TX in San Antonio. The win in Tuscaloosa was assume, but UW played a more difficult schedule.

Happy New Year to the great Georgia contributors on OBD and best of luck to the Dawgs in 2024!

Man, does the schedule ramp up or what? Clemson, at Bama, Auburn, at Texas, Florida, at Ole Miss, Tennessee, Georgia Tech - bowl winner over B12 UCF. WOW! But go get 'em Bow Wow!

Good points, bowl records will be marketed.

• Thanks 1

Terps paying Puddles a visit in 2024. 3 bowl wins in a row.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Maryland produced a dynamic performance in the Music City Bowl to cap the 2023 season.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Of course, if the top 3 in the new conference all get decapitated by the SEC, it’s moot. No one is hanging their hat on Rutgers.

• Thumbs Up 1

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Ohio State struggled in abysmal fashion against Missouri during the Cotton Bowl loss.

GO BLUE! Harbaugh one of few coaches to play and coach in the Rose Bowl for the same team. 2nd Michigan coach to do so, Bump Elliott was the other; Bump coached 2 RB games.

Harbaugh signed wth Michigan out of Palo Alto where his Dad, Jack, was an assistant coach at Stanford. Harbaugh's last game at Michigan was in the Rose Bowl where the Wolverines lost to ASU.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

JJ McCarthy has only lost 1 game -- against TCU in last year's Playoff semifinal. Now, here comes Alabama in the Rose Bowl semifinal.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 12/31/2023 at 8:54 AM, Jon Joseph said:
On 12/30/2023 at 10:33 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Great take. Thanks.

Jon the disagreement is not really a disagreement. While discussing the issue with my Duck buddy, he asked me who I would leave out in favor of the Dawgs. I told him nobody because I couldn't make a rational case against any of the four entrants, largely for the reasons you have mentioned. This was a rare year where there were more than four qualified entrants, and as I said above, I have no quarrel with any of the selected participants. Kirby Smart knows this as do his players. 

It is unfortunate that the Dawgs ended up not being able to defend their national titles for a third year--but hardly an injustice. And as Kirby always says, "Hey, we aren't going anywhere." The Dawgs may not earn a bye next year given the brutal road schedule they will play in the SEC and a neutral site game against Clemson, whom I expect to be improved a lot over the 2023 edition, But I'm pretty sure they will make the 12-team playoff and have the big trophy in their sights.

And I still believe that the 2023 edition is one of the best four teams in the land. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/30/2023 at 6:37 PM, Jon Joseph said:

CFB is a mess.

Chaos!

100% spot on. 63-3 about says it all. I was so glad that Kirby Smart spoke up about it after the game. 

With NIL, transfer portal, and player opt outs, other than playoff games, all other bowl games are pretty much a farce. 

I think this is underscored by the fact that the most talked about bowl game so far is due to the post-game, cannibalistic, chowing down of a giant Pop Tart. Which also appears to be a bit of a metaphor for the state of CFB right now.

Not meaning to sound like Debbie-Downer, but I think it is clear that this is the state of CFB right now. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Applause 1

At this point we are to the games that matter (except for the fan bases on the non playoff teams yet to play). So my plan is to watch the Duck game with interest as I am a Duck fan and to say nothing more about the semis, simply consuming them as an interested fan. 

I guess I have become a bit spoiled as it has been three years since the Dawgs were not in a semi. But hey, ya can't be there every year. At least my gut will not be churning this year wondering if my team wins it all--but to be honest, I miss the anticipation. 

And Go Ducks!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1