FishDuck Article

I Am Rooting for the Huskies

I want ewwdub to lose. I will never root for them. Ever.

But I understand the opinion that it's better if they win. 

How many mutts were pulling for OBD in our 2 title game appearances, I wonder? 

On 1/4/2024 at 10:34 PM, OregonDucks said:

This is one of the few times that I wish there was a thumbs down on FishDuck. 

Huck the Fuskies!  👏 👏   👏👏👏

Me too.  Because sometimes a thumbs down is a good indicator of how passionate OBD forum is(and sometimes it's good to know just how much the pot is stirring- a thumbs down isn't a prison sentence- just a statement about how one feels and it sure beats reading poison we see on other sites).  

I'll tell you one thing, Darren Perkins almost always brings out the passion in us.  Another successful article Darren !!!

• Applause 1

I mostly agree with the article.... However, my dream ending is for Penix to be intercepted in the end zone, down 6, with 2 seconds left.

Between Harbaugh and the dawgs I am not sure which one I dislike the most.

Edited by Gotcha

On 1/4/2024 at 2:26 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Case in point: If the Ducks had won this year's Pac-12 Championship game, they absolutely would NOT have been invited to the CFP.

Not sure what this is based on. There is no good evidence that a Pac-12 champion one loss Oregon would have been iced out of the CFP.

If east coast, and specifically SEC, bias on the committee was so rampant, why wasn't Georgia in along with Alabama? Why was FSU left out?

All four teams this year were their P5 conference champions. FSU was left out in spite of it's undefeated record and the ACC title. The committee did that for several reasons, most of which were exposed by a dominant and peaved off Georgia in the Orange Bowl.

Looking at the guidelines the CFP committee had to follow to select the final four, the odds are that Oregon would have been in had they won in Vegas. Even the (SEC biased) ESPN probability projections essentially all had Oregon in had they taken care of business. 

It might have been a closer call than putting one loss Alabama and Texas in along with undefeated Michigan and UW. Given what the CFPC did do, I just don't see a 12-1 Pac-12 champion Oregon getting dismissed out of hand.

As far as pulling for Fusky goes, I respect what DeBoer has done and am impressed by what Penix, Odunze, Trice, et al have accomplished. Like many here, I have more of a problem with the fan base than I do with the team. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The problems with negative emojis, and/or thumbs down (downvotes) are much greater than the benefits.  People get offended really easy if there a lot of downvotes and won't post again, someone doesn't like someone else and always downvotes that person, etc. People use downvotes as a way to discourage posting of certain opinions on certain topics...

Been there, done that.

Would I bring the downvotes back?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Hello, Darren……and thanks for the cogent piece on the Huskies.   I share your appreciation for the PAC-12, and I agree that a Husky win on Monday will be a plus for Oregon.  Also, my being a UO fan doesn’t stop me from experiencing the pure joy of watching a team as skilled and well coached as UW.

Go, Ducks, Dawgs, and the memory of the PAC-12……

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

No 

Interesting Michigan vs Washington analysis by Joel Klatt.  He mentioned something very specific about why Michigan's defense in particular may cause Washington problems at 7:23.

P.S. Go Wolverines *dry heave*

• Thumbs Up 1

Turn in your fan card. 🤪 Part of me wants a Pac team to win, besides its not a real natty if there is only 4 playoff teams. 😃

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/5/2024 at 7:58 PM, VegasDuck said:

Turn in your fan card. 🤪 Part of me wants a Pac team to win, besides its not a real natty if there is only 4 playoff teams. 😃

But friend Vegas, it's what we have until next season. Either way, it's a B1G win. The fight for Power 2 hegemony is on.

CBS Sports experts like UW 6 to 3.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the country meet on Monday night in Houston for the national championship

• Wow 1

Will Rogers, the 2024 QB spot is yours.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Morris will serve as Michael Penix's primary understudy one more time before moving on

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Dillon Johnson suffered a difficult injury near the end of the Sugar Bowl, and on Saturday shared how he's feeling with the national championship looming.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Washington's offense is prolific, if not historic. And it's dangerous enough to force Michigan to play catch-up in the national title game.

A terrific in-depth look at the champ game. The author, who called the Clemson upset of Bama on a last-play TD throw from Watson, likes UW 31/ Michigan 26.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Washington's explosive offense vs. Michigan's stingy defense. Michael Penix Jr. vs. JJ McCarthy. We break down everything that matters and predict who wins the national title.

An ACC crew that likes to make PI calls will ref the game.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Jesse Minter is ready to let his Michigan defense speak for itself. The defensive coordinator is aware that the ACC officiating crew set to call Monday's national championship has a history of...

Question. How many on this site thought Oregon was going to trounce Ohio State after their 2015 Rose Bowl massacre of FSU? I only ask because it seemed like everybody was picking the Ducks to win because of their offense. I’m seeing a lot of that reasoning for Washington winning this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've thought about whether or not I should root for the Huskies or not. 

I will only root for them as far as it benefits the Ducks, in that they are the only team we lost to all year.

Working with that, I want UW to be competitive, keeping the outcome in doubt until the 4th quarter, showing that they are a great tough team, FPI and recruiting stars be darned.

I don't want them to appear dominated, which would make people disregard UW success as just another TCU type team.

BUT I DON'T WANT THEM TO WIN!

• Thumbs Up 2

Dr. Jack, I did not think that Oregon would trounce tOSU in 2014 even before the WR suspension and the injury to IFO.

Ohio State had a roster that was far superior to the Oregon roster. Ohio State was coached by Urban Meyer; Oregon by Mark Helfrich. Oregon had taken down an ACC undefeated team that was way overrated with a coach who was good when he had a great QB playing aginst inferior opposition. Ohio State had defeated No. 1 seed Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. 

Yes, tOSU was on its 3rd string QB but he played well in the Sugar Bowl and Ohio State, with Bosa on board, controlled both LOS. This was likely the best Ohio State team Urban put on the field; a lot of guys won played for tOSU in this game are still in The League. Oregon had a loss in a Pac-12 conference that was no where close to the B1G in top to bottom conference strength in 2013/14. So, I was hoping Oregon would win but I had serious doubts. 

Michigan has a Blue Chip Roster by 4%, at 54%. UW does not have a BCR, but Penix was a 3*recruit out of Tampa, Florida who had his scholarship offer withdrawn by Tennessee and ended up at Indiana. How did he compare to 5* Quinn Ewers in the Sugar Bowl? UW, not Michigan's OL won the Joe Moore Award. This UW OL is better than the OL Oregon sent to the 2014 champ game.

UW played a far more difficult schedule than Michigan in 2023. The UM DL looked great in the Rose Bowl but that was against an OL that had issues all season long. And against a QB no where near as nimble as Penix. Both teams IMO had they played like they did in the Rose Bowl would have lost to Texas and UW. Michigan's special team play was a nightmare. The Bama center (who is transferring to Ohio State) could not snap the ball. The Michigan O but for a great late drive to tie the game disappeared in the 2nd half.

Will I be surprised if Michigan wins tomorrow night? No. But these are evenly matched teams which was not the case in 2014.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here is yet another reason to root against the puppies - Harbough is more likely to coach Herbert if M wins.   That's multiple wins for OBD fans:

1.  Something to root for on Sundays

2.  M may be weaker, improving OBD outlook in B1G

3.  Puppy fans won't hold natty over us for who knows how long

• Thumbs Up 1