Duckster

Dan Lanning: Man of Oregon

As news continues to break that our coach has chosen to remain in Eugene, and not chase the dream of Alabama, I'm left with an even deeper appreciation of DL, not just as the leader of a program, but more as a leader of young men ... and as a person of true and lasting character. Sure, I could look like a fool in a few days for posting this if there is a complete 180 degree turnaround in how this plays out, and I'll wear that. But this time ... the THIRD TIME ... feels different. Because of Dan Lanning the person. And because what we have in Eugene is maybe the rarest of creatures in the complex world in which we live; a man of his word.

Those of us who have lived or spent significant time in Eugene, know what a unique and special place it truly is. Let the detractors recite their litany: Too small, Too wet, Too Isolated, Too many tie died, Grateful Dead loving, granola eating, Birkenstock wearing (ok I'm just having some fun now), but you know the narrative. Eugene is a jewel. It has everything a person could want and aspire towards achieving.

Once again it appears Dan Lanning sees that ... and for that I'm truly grateful. At last, it looks like we found "Our Man of Oregon."

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Great post! 5
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 2

7 reasons it made sense for Dan Lanning to stay at Oregon and pass on Alabama

There are a number of reasons that Lanning might have decided to stay at Oregon, many of which the coach has told us before.

Here’s what we thought were likely the deciding factors...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

7 reasons it made sense Dan Lanning stayed at Oregon instead of going to Alabama.

Duck fans celebrate after Dan Lanning emphatically turns down Alabama job

With rumors swirling that head coach Dan Lanning was the leading candidate to take over as the next head coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the wake of Nick Saban’s retirement on Wednesday, the Ducks’ coach put that all to rest with the posting of a video from Oregon’s team meeting on Wednesday afternoon.

In that video, Lanning assured players that he won’t be leaving to take the Alabama job, and that he was staying in Eugene.

“If you’re scared your coach is leaving, then come play for us. The Ducks aren’t going anywhere, and I’m not leaving,” the video said.

As you would expect, Duck fans went absolutely wild with celebration on social media, knowing that they had their coach.

Here are some of the best reactions...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Duck fans celebrated on social media at the news that head coach Dan Lanning would not be leaving to go to Alabama.

Impact of Oregon Head Coach Dan Lanning NOT LEAVING For Alabama Job? | What it Means for the Ducks

• Like 1

Great post by the Duckster 

• Thumbs Up 1

Respect from an unlikely place...a USC fan board:

Screenshot_20240111-110922.thumb.png.7025b73a8429751c3de3b37d51b199fc.png

On 1/11/2024 at 10:25 AM, Duckster said:

As news continues to break that our coach has chosen to remain in Eugene, and not chase the dream of Alabama, I'm left with an even deeper appreciation of DL, not just as the leader of a program, but more as a leader of young men ... and as a person of true and lasting character. Sure, I could look like a fool in a few days for posting this if there is a complete 180 degree turnaround in how this plays out, and I'll wear that. But this time ... the THIRD TIME ... feels different. Because of Dan Lanning the person. And because what we have in Eugene is maybe the rarest of creatures in the complex world in which we live; a man of his word.

Those of us who have lived or spent significant time in Eugene, know what a unique and special place it truly is. Let the detractors recite their litany: Too small, Too wet, Too Isolated, Too many tie died, Grateful Dead loving, granola eating, Birkenstock wearing (ok I'm just having some fun now), but you know the narrative. Eugene is a jewel. It has everything a person could want and aspire towards achieving.

Once again it appears Dan Lanning sees that ... and for that I'm truly grateful. At last, it looks like we found "Our Man of Oregon."

DL..practicing that most rare human quality...Consistency!  What an example for his team in that aspect of meeting ones personal goals.  Dan, Truly, is The MAN!  🦆's!

• Thumbs Up 2

Dan Lanning shuts down potential of NFL coaching leap in near future

Oregon Ducks football coach Dan Lanning made it crystal clear that he wasn’t going to leave his current job for any college job in the nation.

He just told the whole world that he wasn’t leaving Eugene for Tuscaloosa as Lanning posted on social media that he wouldn’t be going to Alabama to replace Nick Saban.

College football is one thing, but the NFL is another.

Lanning was recently on the Pat McAfee Show on ESPN and discussed several subjects, including the possibility of leaving Oregon for a head coaching job in the NFL.

I used to dream of coaching in the NFL. I’m from Kansas City. I gew up a big Kansas City Chiefs fan. But I’ll tell you this, there’s nobody in the nation that I want to coach the Chiefs other than Andy Reid. He’s got to keep killing it. This guy solves problems. I’m cheering for Andy every week, Pat Mahomes, Travis Kelce. The Chiefs got to keep winning.

I love where I’m at. I think that’s really clear. This is where I want to be.

The Duck fanbase can relax a bit as Andy Reid isn’t expected to leave the Chiefs any time soon, but with the stunning announcements of Pete Carroll leaving the Seahawks and Bill Belichick leaving the Patriots, anything is possible...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Dan Lanning says he has no NFL head coaching aspirations at this time, but Duck fans better hope the Chiefs Andy Reid doesn’t...

The only thing better would be a recording of this conversation "Hey Dan, its Greg Byrne from Alabama.  We would love to fly you out and talk about our opening for head football coach."  "Hey Greg, thanks for the call I really appreciate it.  But to be honest I am where I want to be, I made a promise and I am keeping it!"

• Applause 1

Lanning is showing a quality of character I have contended for a long time is one of the hardest to come by when the mighty dollar seems to control everything around us... LOYALTY.

He seems to feel right at home!

• Thumbs Up 3

I owe a shout-out to "CountryProf" who simply, and yet kindly, schooled me last night and gave me a good ol fashioned learnin. 

At best, I was a big time doubter last night. But CountryProf 100% called it right. 

Well done, and well played, Dr. CountryProf!

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Dan Lanning details reasons to stay at Oregon following Alabama rumors

Great Full video if you weren't able to see it.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Dan Lanning will not be the head coach at Alabama with Oregon's coach diving into what keeps him with the Ducks.

• Like 1

In Laniing I trust!

On 1/11/2024 at 4:29 PM, Desert Duck said:

I owe a shout-out to "CountryProf" who simply, and yet kindly, schooled me last night and gave me a good ol fashioned learnin. 

At best, I was a big time doubter last night. But CountryProf 100% called it right. 

Well done, and well played, Dr. CountryProf!

Well, even a broken clock gets it right twice a day. 😉

• Haha 3

On 1/11/2024 at 5:14 PM, CountryProf said:

Well, even a broken clock gets it right twice a day. 😉

And let me clarify-- I'm the broken clock in this metaphor.

• Thanks 1

Bill Oram: What it means that Dan Lanning is staying at Oregon with Alabama circling

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

By repeatedly declaring Oregon his forever job, and backing it up, Lanning gives Ducks fans something they can hold on to.

On 1/11/2024 at 3:16 PM, CountryProf said:

And let me clarify-- I'm the broken clock in this metaphor.

Lol

On 1/11/2024 at 1:06 PM, Duckman60 said:

The only thing better would be a recording of this conversation "Hey Dan, its Greg Byrne from Alabama.  We would love to fly you out and talk about our opening for head football coach."  "Hey Greg, thanks for the call I really appreciate it.  But to be honest I am where I want to be, I made a promise and I am keeping it!"

I wouldn't be surprised if this is very close to what happened.  Alabama's under tremendous pressure to get the "right" hire very quickly (literally within a couple days).  He was likely on a video conference with the UA AD listening to their pitch for a couple hours and when they finished he promptly turned them down.  He had to make a fast decision and he made it with little to no hesitation, pretty impressive to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just love this Forum.  Great post Duckster.

Only on OBDF can the sky be falling all around us one moment then the next moment.........wow the Sun game up! Who knew 

DL has grit, character and is a man of his word........

Not much of that going around these days.

Some high quality coach is going ro jump ship and devastate their fanbase.  Just not DL, for now.

Go Ducks.........

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 1:33 PM, NJDuck said:

Dan Lanning details reasons to stay at Oregon following Alabama rumors

Great Full video if you weren't able to see it.

Gold nugget in that Pat McAfee Show video when Pat brought up a discussion last weekend on the GameDay set during a commercial break of the Natty.  Herbie brought up to Dan that he’s a top guy to replace Saban when Nick leaves.  Dan immediately told them he is staying at Oregon and why.   

Whether Dan was offered the Bama job/interview or not or if they talked to him while in Houston (and we may never know), it doesn’t matter.  He had previously decided Oregon is the place to be.

Edited by AllOregon
  • Applause 1

Just a massive win for the Ducks, can't be overstated. The prettiest girl in the room just came calling and DL said essentially 'no thank you, I'm very comfortable with who I'm already with'. Pokes a huge hole in the narrative that Oregon is a feeder school for top coaching talent. Time for some other program to sweat this one out. We've already paid our dues ...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/11/2024 at 10:25 AM, Duckster said:

Eugene is a jewel

Dan Lanning is the Jewel!

My Gut told me Lanning would stay but coaching Bama is kind of like the pinnacle of college football--What an honor to be considered to be the replacement for Saban.  Thats a pretty tough thing to pass on.

For me, the best part of that video was Lanning saying (and I'm paraphrasing here) "college football is changing quickly, and we're ahead of the curve here". That...a thousand times that. Change, with respect for the past, is at the core of what Lanning brings to Oregon.

Lanning is young enough to not be entrenched in the old way of coaching, recruiting, hiring, relating to players and families. He's media-savvy, extremely on-line, and good on tv. He is also honest, and modest. Maybe he kicks his dog, but I doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dan Lanning: "I think we have a program that can be the best in the nation"

On Thursday, Oregon head coach Dan Lanning announced he was staying at Oregon instead of going after the Alabama head coaching job following Nick Saban's retirement.

Lanning gave an exclusive interview about the decision with ESPN's Pat McAfee on ESPN's broadcast of the Pat McAfee Show.

Here are a few notes of what Lanning said during the 8-minute interview.

Lanning said he never was in the state of Alabama and was watching a movie with one of his sons Wednesday night when he started receiving text messages from players, people within the college football industry, and other outlets.

Lanning said the noise was a bit of a distraction Wednesday night but that he quickly shut it down to the people he needed to tell.

"They know where I am at. 10 toes down," Lanning said of his message to his team.

Why stay at Oregon over Alabama? Lanning referenced the same talking points he's repeated repeatedly: Oregon has everything he wants at Oregon.

Go into article to read more of what was discussed...

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon head coach Dan Lanning gave an interview with ESPN's Pat McAfee about why he's staying at Oregon.

You got to love Coach Lanning.  Always looking for ways to promote Oregon and recruiting.

Dan Lanning details meeting Michael Jordan, Derek Jeter at national championship game

Oregon Ducks head coach Dan Lanning turned a lot of heads earlier this week when he popped up down in Houston, Texas for the College Football Playoff National Championship game.

While he wasn’t coaching in the game, Lanning accepted an invite from ESPN to join the broadcast crew and help preview the game, since he knew well what type of challenges the Washington Huskies might present, and had an idea of what the Michigan Wolverines needed to do in order to stop them. Lanning also explained in an interview with Oregon radion host John Canzano this week that it offered a great recruiting tool for the Ducks, allowing them to stay in the spotlight even when not playing on the biggest stage.

“That’s usually a night in college football where everyone is talking about the two teams on TV,” Lanning said on The Bald Faced Truth. “But we felt like it was an opportunity for there to be another team that they’re talking about.”

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks head coach Dan Lanning broke down his experience meeting Michael Jordan and Derek Jeter at the national championship game.

• Thumbs Up 1