DrJacksPlaidPants

QUAAACK!!! Caldwell is a Duck!

The day just keeps getting a little better.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ducks land big-time transfer from Houston DL Ja'Maree Caldwell

The hits keep coming for the Oregon Ducks, who just landed another transfer portal addition, this time on the defensive line with the commitment from former Houston Cougars DL Ja’Maree Caldwell.

Caldwell is a 6-foot-1, 325-pound defensive lineman who will provide a big body for the Ducks in the middle of the defensive line, a position group that was definitely in need of some depth this offseason.

Caldwell played two seasons at Houston, where he racked up 39 total tackles, 29 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, and 1 forced fumble. He was rated as a 4-start player in the transfer portal, and the No. 17 overall player that was available this offseason.

247Sports had him as the No. 2 DL in the portal, behind only Walter Nolen, who committed to Ole Miss...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks got a commitment from former Houston Cougars’ DL Ja’Maree Caldwell, the No. 2 DL in the transfer portal.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Team is stacked..sheesh 

• Thumbs Up 1

Perfect for Nose Tackle, and with a low center of gravity--he'll have good leverage.  We lost both our NTs to graduation, so this fellow and new signee Jericho Johnson can alternate and plug the middle as Popo and Tani did.

image.png

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

If this is a dream or a movie, please don't end! WOW!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

We need a RB that is expected to be drafted in the top three rounds of the NFL draft next spring. We don't have that. That's pretty much the only thing we need. Unless we got a veteran lockdown field goal kicker that I didn't know about, then we need that too.

James isn't that and Whittington might have injury effects. The depth beyond that is hardly elite. It's time for a LaGarrette Blount transfer. We need someone teams fear.

Edited by 2002duck

James is more than capable of being that guy. He averages over 7 yards per run and almost 9 yards per catch out of the backfield. Some of the best numbers in the nation, better than Buckys. If Wittington is healthy, also over 7 yards per carry, then we will be fine. I’m sure DL will pick up another RB but James and Witt have some of the best stats in the nation.

• Thumbs Up 6

Whittington and James are both 205-210 lbs. That’s pretty stout. Then you add the transfer Jay Harris who runs 220 lbs. He’s the big back but very agile. I watched his highlight reel and his mobility is impressive for a guy his size.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow, we needed this guy with the graduations. I could see Lanning going after another transfer at this position. Maybe a senior transfer as our young guys grow into the position.

We definitely need some BIG beef up front as move to our new conference. A weakness here will be taken advantage of by our opponents next season. 

Come the April transfer window I would expect Oregon to be aggressive if we see anybody trying to get more limelight, and better coaching. This is where Tosh is earning his money, and I expect another BIG guy before this is all over.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:27 AM, 2002duck said:

Unless we got a veteran lockdown field goal kicker that I didn't know about, then we need that too.

Oregon State's field goal kicker (Atticus Sappington) transferred to Oregon. He was 13-14 last year with a long of 48 yards. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 things to know about the newest Oregon transfer Ja'Maree Caldwell

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Get to know Ja’Maree Caldwell, a defensive lineman from Houston and the newest Oregon Ducks transfer.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Good to know, one year of eligibility, and that makes the guys desire to improve urgent. He has one year to prove he can make it to the next level.

I think this is a brilliant move, a guy with 4 years experience, and fills a need.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/13/2024 at 4:27 AM, 2002duck said:

We need a RB that is expected to be drafted in the top three rounds of the NFL draft next spring. We don't have that. That's pretty much the only thing we need. Unless we got a veteran lockdown field goal kicker that I didn't know about, then we need that too.

James isn't that and Whittington might have injury effects. The depth beyond that is hardly elite. It's time for a LaGarrette Blount transfer. We need someone teams fear.

Yep, Blount could pack a punch! (Sorry!) After seeing what Shraeder did this season at Mizzou, I'm waiting to see if Jay Morris, another RB transferring from a MO. D2 school, performs.

On 1/13/2024 at 8:01 AM, OregonDucks said:

Atticus Sappington

That name sounded made up, so I had to google OSU's roster to make sure you weren't pulling my leg. It's true, he transferred on the 27th of December! That's huge! Breaking news on FishDuck material!

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/recruiting/oregon-state-kicker-atticus-sappington-commits-to-oregon

On 1/13/2024 at 1:27 AM, 2002duck said:

By the end of the season I was more impressed with James than Bucky. I think Irving was playing a bit banged up but he was just getting stuffed for little to no gain. Where James on the same run was getting significant yardage.

Probably a bit of an injury thing but James defiantly looks ready to be the read rusher. But as stated above we also have a big body in a transfer as well. Whittington is a change of pace back, he isn't the bell cow. However, how Oregon likes to rotate backs anyways we don't really have a primary back per se. I think so much of how this runningback room operates is through throwing fresh legs at an opponent with slightly different skill sets and making their defense adjust.

The key in most sports is if you can make the opposing team think, you're winning. Forcing the opponent to think means they won't play as fast and that could mean the difference from a 2 yard gain and a 40 yard touchdown run.

• Thumbs Up 1