Charles Fischer

Wait...Jonathan Smith to Washington?

It could happen.  John Canzano reported in his article today, (sorry for the late post about it, as...I'm busy these days) that Smith's buyout at Michigan State is only 7 million.  Considering how they think of him in Seattle, isn't 7 million almost chump-change these days?

Damn.

He could take the unremarkable recruiting classes at Montlake, and turn it into something dangerous.  So, we could face him in the B1G at one school or another?

image.png

Mr. FishDuck

Washington would be a lateral move. I could see him moving if he were going from G5 to P5 a la Manny Diaz. It doesn’t make sense for him to waste almost 2 months worth of effort building the Spartans into his vision.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think he could do more at UW than MSU...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Does UW really have significantly better resources than MSU?

On 1/13/2024 at 9:36 PM, kirklandduck said:

Does UW really have significantly better resources than MSU?

Significant?  No, but it is a lot more familiar to Smith, coached there, Northwest guy, it makes a lot more sense for him than MSU.  He already has recruiting connections on the west coast, he probably could convince a lot of those guys to return to UW, I think he's more likely to stay at UW than most guys.  He would lose some credibility leaving a school after only around a month and a half.  

At MSU you are always going to be second fiddle to UM, at UW at least you are the big team in your own state.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Oddly enough... I could see that happening.

I don't think it's crazy likely... but I could see it.

Who knows other than Jimmy Sexton these days? But Smith bringing Childs with him and reversing to UW? I  do not see it. He's in the Power 2 with resources equal to UW.

Jedd Fisch? And he brings Fifita and Tre with him?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2024 at 10:12 PM, David Marsh said:

On 1/13/2024 at 10:12 PM, David Marsh said:

Oddly enough... I could see that happening.

I don't think it's crazy likely... but I could see it.

So can I David, and for all the reasons mentioned above by spartan 2785. What's more, as a former close rival and occasional pain in the Ducks tailfeathers, he would give us Duck fans one more reason to despise the fuskies.

I think Washington doesn't want a guy that could bolt after a year. Smith leaving two jobs in two months, plus essentially leaving a new job he already signed on for isn't a great look. Washington didn't have the cash to keep their own guy, they aren't going to pay for his buyout.

Next year I see two possible huge openings. Ohio State and Florida. Possibly even USC if they struggle again. Fisch is gonna be a target if he continues winning at Arizona. It's a bad look to become the launch pad job. Washington just played for the Title, they are a Big 10 school now.

They are an upper tier member not brought in for the same reasons as Rutgers or Maryland. They are travel partners for USC, UCLA, and Oregon sure. But they are also meant to strengthen the league on the field. For that, they need to shed the transitional tag. Oregon is doing that with its commitment to Lanning.

Given the source that inspired this I’m going to go with 0% chance

• Thumbs Up 1

All the buzz now centers on Jedd Fisch.  Fisch would would not only be on the A-list for the Huskies but Michigan as well if Harbaugh jumps to the NFL.  Adding to the drama is whether coach would bring with him Fifita and T-Mac to whichever school he decides on.

At MSU he still has the opportunity to beat not only Oregon, Washington but to beat Michi as well, and get some of those mid/east coast recruits.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2024 at 10:10 PM, spartan2785 said:

..  He would lose some credibility leaving a school after only around a month and a half.  

On 1/14/2024 at 3:54 AM, Sunshine Larry said:

I think Washington doesn't want a guy that could bolt after a year. Smith leaving two jobs in two months, plus essentially leaving a new job he already signed on for isn't a great look....

These!

UA just announced that they and Fisch have agreed to a contract restructuring. He's not going anywhere.

• Haha 2

David Shaw?

On 1/14/2024 at 10:01 AM, Duckhart2 said:

David Shaw?

Shaw could be good. He's still a good coach but what he ran up against was the transfer portal more than anything else. Stanford is still a net loser to the portal as they can't really make that much use of it due to their academic standards. 

Then Stanford can't retain players like they used to because they don't allow players who have their bachelor's to roll into a grad degree without going through the academic process every other grad program requires any non-athlete to go through.

(I'll be honest as someone who was rejected a few times from grad programs, I kinda like this idea of no special treatment)

But this means once players have their bachelor's degree in hand they'll probably transfer elsewhere as a grad transfer. 

On the flip side of that, Stanford can't make use of really any grad transfers because they need to be accepted on purely academic merit. 

But at Washington he wouldn't have those issues. So he could probably recruit better and make use of the portal. 

However.... I don't think Shaw wants to return to college football because of the recruiting.

Ewe dub better be careful.  If they hire Smith, he will just bail on them in a couple of years when the Beavs become a better program.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Smith would be the dangerous one. Fisch would just be another Mario waiting for his Florida dream job to open up. The others so far, are just the flavor of the month.