Haywarduck

5* Quack! Gatlin Bair's A Duck!

SPOT ON! Dan bags the first the first 5* recruit out of the Gem State. Bair joins good company with fellow Idaho guy Carson York. 

DL, reeling them in from Coast to Coast. WOW!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Beep, Beep...........

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So does he count in the ‘24 or ‘26 recruiting rankings?

On 2/3/2024 at 2:51 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

So does he count in the ‘24 or ‘26 recruiting rankings?

'24, which I don't think makes sence since he will not be on scholarship until '26.

And moves the 24 class to #3 in the 24/7 rankings.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Has anyone done any research on how recruits who go on their 2-yr mission fare when they return to football? Just wondering how a 5-star recruit looks on the field after two years away.

On 2/3/2024 at 3:12 PM, Steven A said:

'24, which I don't think makes sence since he will not be on scholarship until '26.

And moves the 24 class to #3 in the 24/7 rankings.

I agree!

And, also f’ing awesome!!

He is a 5-Star only on On3, but the bottom line is that he is someone we wanted.  Troy Franklin was a Rivals.com 4-Star, and he turned out to be 5-Star for us!

WWW.ON3.COM

Explore Gatlin Bair's athlete profile at On3.com. Get news and insights into his playing career, statistics, and achievements in sports.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/3/2024 at 3:22 PM, bzduck13 said:

Has anyone done any research on how recruits who go on their 2-yr mission fare when they return to football? Just wondering how a 5-star recruit looks on the field after two years away.

This is a great question. 

The short answer is yes, there is a difference. 

But how soon an athelete returns to pre-mission status depends on several factors. 

In most cases, atheletes return feeling more mature, and ready to handle adversity, physical and emotional. 

Returning to D1 strength and conditioning is often the most difficult. 

Having a S&C program that adjusts to individual needs is a must.

The other main adjustment is psychological or spiritual. While on a mission the athelete learns a major shift in thinking of others first, and witnesses many physical hardships, food,shelter and clothing for example.

Having to focus so much time to his own personal needs, while experiencing the vast benefits of a D1 scollie and NIL $$, can require an adjustment period.

All in all, I think Oregon has all the tools needed to help Gatlin Bair return to his pre-mission status and improve to elite status.

It will take some time. He could possibly redshirt that first year back. Much will depend on him.

But his upside is already known and that is great. His talents should be just in time for Akili Jr to take advantage of.

He is a very talented kid, and will be a very talented young man when he returns. 

A great get for coach Lanning. 

Gooooo Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Updated Rivals ranking puts Oregon at No. 6 in the nation with not many points from fourth.  The difference is that all five teams above the Ducks have some Rivals 5-Stars, while Oregon does not in this class.

Good-or-Good.  Recruiting right there with Ohio State(Never thought I'd ever write that!)

N.RIVALS.COM

2024 all-teams football recruiting team rankings by Rivals.com

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Nice!!!

Gatlin Bair and Roderick Pleasant should have a match race. Roderick has the high school record in California in the 100 meters at 10.14 and Gatlin runs 10.15.

For high school kids that is wicked fast. 

Roderick plans on running for the track team, which just means he will get faster. 

Not sure we have had guys this fast on the track just out of high school, and football speed is bit different, but a good receiver with this speed creates problems for the opposing DBs, including Roderick.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, seen a little film on this guy, he's not only fast, but also illusive and adjusts well to the ball in the air and out battles DBs for it.

He's a good one. Wish he was here next year, but respect the faith commitment.

Good luck on his mission, can't wait to see him in 2026. 

This 24 class and transfers have the ducks in rare air. As the dominoes fell all around with coaching defections to theNFL and college coaches moving up, down or out, the lead Duck stood tall.

hell yah the grass is pretty green in Eugene. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Any relation to Brandon Bair from Idaho?

Five-star wide receiver Gatlin Bair explains his commitment to Oregon

“I’m super excited about Oregon and what coach (Dan) Lanning is building,” said Bair. “He is one of the most ambitious coach’s I’ve ever been around and they’re on track to compete in the Big Ten and win some titles. Junior (Adams) does a great job with developing receivers and they’re running an offense that any receiver would want to be a part of.”

"With Oregon, their offensive play style is something I like to play in," said Bair.  "They use speed very well. They had two receivers go over 1,000 yards and they’ll continue to use their receivers.  Coach Adams does a phenomenal job with receivers. He coached Cooper Kapp and he recruited all those receivers to Washington and he has a great relationship with Puka Nacua (who he recruited to Washington)."

247SPORTS.COM

The Burley (Idaho) standout has made a commitment.

Im sorry but by the time he gets to the Ducks he will be a 2 star.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/4/2024 at 2:22 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I'm sorry but by the time he gets to the Ducks he will be a 2 star.

Can't enjoy it for long?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

He will be a great addition to the track team when he shows up. We won’t have to teach him how to run. It may take a year however to get him back to football ready.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stars and fanfare are great, but the rubber meats the road in games and with how he ends up. I think with two more years, and the experience he will have on a mission the guy will be the kind of leader every team needs.

Also it will be critical where he is sent on his mission. If he spends most of his time in some far away underdeveloped country then his fitness may suffer. I will say whatever fitness is lost he will gain in character. 

One thing guaranteed is Lanning will be here when he gets done, and his place on the team and on the track will be waiting for him. Best of luck to this young man with 5* potential.

• Thumbs Up 1

Time will tell.

On 2/4/2024 at 6:43 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Time will tell.

As always. BTW, isn't everyone in Idaho, like in Utah, and Tennessee, related? KIDDING!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1

It is tough to get the stars right. Sometimes the tape is really telling, sometimes the camp is really telling and sometimes the production is really telling.

Bair has the measurables and performance numbers at 10 out of 10. He produced well in high school, and has performed well in the camp settings against equal talent.

I feel confident he will be very good.

I don't care too much for Rivals at times, as the camps can be way too small of a sample size, and camps aren't football games when real ballers can show up.

I think the most underrated recruit of this cycle is Jericho Johnson. Watch his tape and look at his measurables. His tape reminds me of Brandon Dolorus, but he's waay bigger and possibly even faster. He's gonna be the best tackle in the country at some point in his Oregon career.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 2/4/2024 at 5:09 PM, Jon Joseph said:

As always. BTW, isn't everyone in Idaho, like in Utah, and Tennessee, related? KIDDING!

I have lived in Utah and in some towns phone books there is only a few last names, just saying. I lived there back when there were phone books.

As far as Brandon and Gatlin they grew up in different towns, but I suspect there is some connection. Mormons have very large families, and I have much respect for the religion, and the missions these young people go on.

This is the third Bair from Idaho, don't forget Stetson. Stetson played for the Ducks back in the day!

• Thumbs Up 2

We better get used to a Battle of the Os.

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

It's weird to think that National Signing Day for college football recruiting is this week because it certainly doesn't feel like it. Most of the top recruits

THEATHLETIC.COM

The vast majority of the recruiting fireworks are detonated in December but there are still some storylines to follow on signing day.