Charles Fischer

Believe it? Mario says, "We’re just scratching the surface on the passing game"

I am a firm believer in a balanced offense, so I love reading this stuff.  But do I believe it?  This is the guy who told us that we would run the offense that "Oregon fans love," and that "the offense has to change," (in 2018) yet I want to believe it.  Is he learning?  Or is he snookering opposing coaches?

THE MORNING AFTER; OREGON PASSING ATTACK ON POINT AGAINST UCLA by Warren Williamson of Oregon Duck Football News

Devon Williams_Tom Corno.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

UCLA was bound and determined to stop the Ducks running attack, and they did. The coaching staff took what the Bruins gave them, which were the passing lanes. Fortunately Anthony Brown was on target, for the most part on Saturday.

• Like 1

I agree with Mario that there is much left to do with the passing game, however, that's like agreeing on which direction North is, What is he going to do with this keen insight?

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

“Scratching the surface on the passing game. “

I would like to believe that statement. After watching AB throw 4 interceptions(two overturned by defensive penalties), I am nervous anytime he throws to a receiver beyond 10 yards. 

Can AB improve? I certainly hope so…

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2021 at 10:29 AM, 30Duck said:

however, that's like agreeing on which direction North is, What is he going to do with this keen insight?

Truly...that created a LOL with me.  Part of it is--I can hear you saying it in my head and that makes it even funnier!

Mr. FishDuck

I think there is a lot of room for growth in many areas but I’m for the most part happy with the results. 

Accordingly it’s easy to say they are just scratching the surface because in a lot of ways they are just scratching the surface. 

We saw a taste of what could be in the middle of the UCLA game. doing that consistently is the challenge. 

I think as the players develop mentally they then play faster. Earlier recognition as the season progresses is helping both sides. 

I hope some young guys get more touches this week. The offense should try and Get up early and then bring in the backups. 2nd half Tryouts at QB, WR, RB. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scratching the surface? Yeah, like fingernails against a blackboard . . .

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Baby steps first, start with the 20 yarders and work up from there.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2021 at 11:36 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Baby steps first, start with the 20 yarders and work up from there.

OK...that sounds reasonable.  (Until I remember that it is the EIGHTH game of the season!)

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

The answers my friends are blowin' in the wind. With a QB like AB, you need a nickel and dime offense...the ancestor to the West Coast Offense used by Bill Walsh due to a QBs inability to throw the long ball.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1087386-football-101-breaking-down-the-west-coast-offense

• Thumbs Up 2

That is a great article above, and it is the offense that Mike Bellotti ran so well at Oregon because....we did not have the big-boys up front to pile-drive USC and Washington at that time, nor could we recruit the very best receivers.  So...if this can work now?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

I wish JM had stopped scratching in the 4th Q?

On 10/25/2021 at 10:48 AM, Drake said:

“Scratching the surface on the passing game. “

I would like to believe that statement. After watching AB throw 4 interceptions(two overturned by defensive penalties), I am nervous anytime he throws to a receiver beyond 10 yards. 

Can AB improve? I certainly hope so…

Great topic, hidden in the stats, 4 INT's, not the 2 INT's the stat line shows.

The stats that scream out to me are the turnovers, we have to beat teams with turnovers. We might be able to beat Colorado without a great turnover ratio, but not the others.

If AB becomes a turnover liability it will be hard to keep him on the field, even at 7-8 and 1.

Scratching the surface, just below the surface may be a place we don't want to go. Mario might see more potential, but he needs to keep his hands up or that potential will pop him in the face.

The worst part of this is Oregon has the receivers. They will transfer or decommit if something does not change. Pittman should not be a slot receiver.

Mario does not seem to trust new players. Mid season and Seven finally got some time only because of injuries. He looked great.

• Thumbs Up 1

Being willing to be mocked for my lack of football knowledge I have always wondered why no one tries 2 QBs. Brown would make a decent QB/RB and paired with one of the QBs that can actually throw downfield......

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2021 at 2:54 PM, TheRunningDuck said:

Being willing to be mocked for my lack of football knowledge I have always wondered why no one tries 2 QBs. Brown would make a decent QB/RB and paired with one of the QBs that can actually throw downfield......

I think it is a reasonable question, and if we could get a sizable lead this Saturday...  Bellotti ran a two-QB system many times.

(And people cannot mock you on football knowledge....see No. 4 and No. 10 in the rules as they protect you, me and everyone.)

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/25/2021 at 2:54 PM, TheRunningDuck said:

I am willing to wonder too. It would seem the coaches see AB throw the long ball at practice when the receiver is the only item to focus on. Come game time there are many more variables involved, along with the crowd and expectations. AB can often make a few of the passes and the right decision on running, but struggles with the extremely dynamic decisions on game day, like many of us would.

Let's bring in Butterfield, who supposedly is the best passer on obvious passing downs. Let him fling it to Thornton who would probably outrun just about any DB in the Pac-12. If the safety is playing deep Butterfield can hit one of the crossing routes. Maybe I lack the football knowledge, but I can see AB just can't make these decision or throws, so we should give a try!

Who knows we might just have a qb ready, or at least more ready next season.

I was pleasantly surprised at the variety we saw in the passing game on Saturday but I also keep reminding myself that UCLA is 125 out of 130 for passing defense.  I'm not sure there's much more to open up with AB at QB.  Hopefully we have a nice lead at the half against Colorado and Cristobal turns the second half over to the freshman.

Scratching the surface, huh?  I wish Mario could get someone to change that... Oh wait, isn't he the guy to talk to? 

If AB could just hit that first over the top touchdown and open the flood gates. 

Every aspect of the offense opens wide if the safeties have to give the corners help. I have lost count of the numerous missed deep TD opportunities.

I am really rooting for AB to connect on the long ball. This young man has heart and he is giving his all on that field for the team.

And you know, in my 7 plus decades he is the only Duck QB to beat the Buckeyes. Something our greatest QB'S failed to do.

• Thumbs Up 3