QuackAttack

Complete Collapse

After not scoring with bases loaded and no outs, I told my son, great that could be a huge momentum shift and we could lose because of it. While it didn’t happen right away, it came back to bite us.In 50+ years of playing and watching baseball, I have never seen worse pitching management than I’ve seen the past two games! Was get paid a very healthy salary to manage the program. While he’s done well to get to the super’s two years in a row, you have to wonder what he was thinking the past two games when we had walks and wild pitches killing us. That kind of game management just can’t happen.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

OSU just pulled their pitcher after a double in the 7th, only the 4th hit, no 5 walks and a hit batter. Quick hook!

I'm checking the box score...but, it appears they flew in Cristobal to manage the last 3 innings.

So for 60 games I am cheerleading nearly to myself about Oregon Baseball....but let something bad happen?  The Boo-Birds emerge.

In 84 years before Coach Waz...we made the Regionals a total of 7 times, but have four times under Waz already, and back-to-back Super-Regionals, of which has not ever been done at Oregon before.

He has not solved the pitching problem; he gave young men a chance to be the hero, and they crumbled.  It happens in all sports.  

There are times I am very disappointed in Oregon fans, as fans that do not support a sport...except to come in and dump on it during the playoffs?

Be better.

• Salute 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Agree. To the fans, Dan said Push Back, not fall over. You really think one game, two games are going to define Waz? He’s just starting to Push.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion here, and note I was not disagreeing.  What bothers me are four months of posts about the sport, and I never see some of these "fans" until Oregon chokes in a Playoff game.  Then they gotta come in drop some negative that is obvious to all.  

The loss hurt me bad in how our pitchers collapsed, but having fans who I never see post about the sport now coming in to pile on?  Geez.

Mr. FishDuck

There's an old saying that baseball is for statisticians.

Amazing to me that in 13 of 17 games so far, the winner scored 10 runs or more.  Wonder if that has happened in Super's before?  One more game on Monday.

Margin for combined scores after 2 Super Regional games:

34-12

13-2 – UK vs OR State

25-15 – A&M vs Oregon

17-8

20-12 – third game on Monday

21-17

19-16 and 31-17 after 3

10-7

Would anyone have guessed OSU would have 2 runs total in 2 games?

In 58 games prior to the Super, the Ducks had only allowed 10 or more runs seven times.

It will be all ACC or SEC in Omaha.   6 of the 7 Super's so far have gone to the home teams.

Players will occasionally have bad games….it happens, in all sports. 

Coaches do, too.

For Waz to allow a pitcher to walk in 4 runs, and allow another on a hit batsmen, and not yank him, is a complete scratcher. 

Ok, so the pitching didn't deliver when it needed to. Yeah, this sucks and I figured heading into the 7th that Oregon would tie the series and the rubber match tomorrow would be a toss up. Do not forget TA&M is a very good team, #3 if I'm not mistaken, and Oregon put 9 runs on them today. Not many teams have done that to them.

Waz got the Ducks to the super regional two years in a row. Getting tanked by Oral Roberts at home last year actually bugged me more than getting bull rushed by a superior Aggie team on their home field this weekend. Oregon is 🤏 close to getting to the CWS. I like the odds of it happening once the Ducks get to the B1G.

Give the SEC it's due, they will likely have half of the teams in Omaha. But I will keep the da*n faith as far as OBD are concerned. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2024 at 10:51 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He has not solved the pitching problem; he gave young men a chance to be the hero, and they crumbled.

I believe he waited too long, but it seems clear that the bullpen's relievers weren't up to the challenge.  I think Waz knew he didn't have the bullpen to hold it together, and knew his starter needed to go 7.  With tomorrow not guaranteed, maybe pitch Grinsell for 5, then Seitter for 4.  Figure out tomorrow, tomorrow.

We'll be back year after year.  I'm not too fond of how it went down, but I also know this is the best era of Duck Baseball ever.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2024 at 11:11 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion here, and note I was not disagreeing.  What bothers me are four months of posts about the sport, and I never see some of these "fans" until Oregon chokes in a Playoff game.

In fairness, a lot of us don't get the option to watch Oregon Baseball outside of Twitter.  Hopefully that changes with the B1G.  I know I'd watch every game if it were televised.  I also know that I'm old enough to have some sense to my disappointment that some do not.

Painful, I held my breath on each pitch. One bad one followed another. It was a gut punch for all concerned, but glad to be there and know we'll be back.

I feel the worst for the players in the field. They did not deserve that. I hope nobody abandons ship. I won't. Big job for Waz. He's up to it.

Be glad you are not watching the football teams of the seventies. You expected despair, only a few guys like Fouts and Martin kept your head in the game. Go DUCKS !

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When you get this far you have to have solid pitching and not make errors. Scoring a few runs doesn’t hurt either. Your opponent’s at this level are there for a reason. 

I’ve been to regionals in college and trust me. It Ain’t Easy.

Tough environment. 

Honestly, I feel bad for the kid. He will relive that inning for a long time. 

• Thumbs Up 1