FishDuck Article

Realignment Destroys Conference Loyalty

I have been looking over various media outlets’ predictions for who will make the upcoming 12-team College Football Playoff. Naturally, the first thing I do is check to see where the Ducks are placed; nothing new there. Then, my instincts are to check on how many Pac-12 teams have made the field. Oops. Of course, that’s where the new reality of ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com takes a look at
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I so agree!

I've always hated Michigan. 

And what the heck is a buckeye anyway.

Since Joe left Penn St it's been a disaster, and while I enjoyed bearing the badgers a couple times, it's too cold there.

Yes, I will miss the Pac.

Old rivalries gone (I never liked Stanford much, a tree as a mascot?!)

I expect there will be more realignment sooner than later, in the meantime, I will basically only cheer for our Ducks.

No rooting for those other B1G teams, too many years of Rose Bowl hate.

As for Pac(Pig)2, how about Avis car rental as sponser, cuz they definitely will have to "try harder" as a G5 conference. 

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pac-2 sponsor thoughts: Roto-Rooter; Waste Management; Orkin Pest Control, Badass Bones Taxidermy, Philomath, Oregon; Palouse Valley Septic Service; Corbeill Funeral Home - Pullman; Hollywood's Hottest Cougars; GYM Old School Jock Straps; Etsy Handmade Beaver Pelts; and Rent-A-Coach?

Thanks for the fun take, Darren. We might as well laugh rather than chug Prozac. 😍

OBD will play UCLA and USC three times each in 2024-2028, more than the Ducks played these two in the Pac-12.

Setting aside the 2020 COVID Conference champ game, from 2016 - 2023 the Ducks played SC on three occasions. 

I'd like to see a steady diet of four B1G teams in the PO field every season. We need the dues. And the bottom two-thirds of the conference needs to step up in recruiting and sending players to the NFL. You can bet the SEC plays 'The SEC to the NFL card' every chance it gets. The B1G needs to halt the SEC BCS and 4-team playoff hegemony.  

Oregon was the 7th most-watched football team in 2023, without playing in the Big House and without hosting Ohio State. The numbers should improve in 2024 with Oregon certain to be a Super Conference football member. $100M a year in B1G revenue come 2031 is probably a conservative estimate. 

Let's Get It On!

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Fun article!

For me, my "love" of CU, ASU, etc. dies with the conference. My conference love has always revolved around how it helps OBD. More macro than anything...I want OBD to win the best conference, but really couldn't care less about the actual individual success of the other members. So you can bet I'll be rooting for all B1G teams to kill it out of conference this year.

Good example. I'll be rooting for Utah or Arizona to take the B12 this year, but again, to reflect well on us. Once we clear 2024, if Utah/Arizona go 3-9 in 2025 I really won't care or feel a shred of nostalgia.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 6/25/2024 at 9:09 AM, DanLduck said:

I so agree!

I've always hated Michigan. 

And what the heck is a buckeye anyway.

Since Joe left Penn St it's been a disaster, and while I enjoyed bearing the badgers a couple times, it's too cold there.

Yes, I will miss the Pac.

Old rivalries gone (I never liked Stanford much, a tree as a mascot?!)

I expect there will be more realignment sooner than later, in the meantime, I will basically only cheer for our Ducks.

No rooting for those other B1G teams, too many years of Rose Bowl hate.

As for Pac(Pig)2, how about Avis car rental as sponser, cuz they definitely will have to "try harder" as a G5 conference. 

Thanks, yes, they definitely do need to TRY HARDER

On 6/25/2024 at 10:11 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Pac-2 sponsor thoughts: Roto-Rooter; Waste Management; Orkin Pest Control, Badass Bones Taxidermy, Philomath, Oregon; Palouse Valley Septic Service; Corbeill Funeral Home - Pullman; Hollywood's Hottest Cougars; GYM Old School Jock Straps; Etsy Handmade Beaver Pelts; and Rent-A-Coach?

Thanks for the fun take, Darren. We might as well laugh rather than chug Prozac. 😍

OBD will play UCLA and USC three times each in 2024-2028, more than the Ducks played these two in the Pac-12.

Setting aside the 2020 COVID Conference champ game, from 2016 - 2023 the Ducks played SC on three occasions. 

I'd like to see a steady diet of four B1G teams in the PO field every season. We need the dues. And the bottom two-thirds of the conference needs to step up in recruiting and sending players to the NFL. You can bet the SEC plays 'The SEC to the NFL card' every chance it gets. The B1G needs to halt the SEC BCS and 4-team playoff hegemony.  

Oregon was the 7th most-watched football team in 2023, without playing in the Big House and without hosting Ohio State. The numbers should improve in 2024 with Oregon certain to be a Super Conference football member. $100M a year in B1G revenue come 2031 is probably a conservative estimate. 

Let's Get It On!

Thanks for the stats and perspective, Jon!

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2024 at 10:34 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Fun article!

For me, my "love" of CU, ASU, etc. dies with the conference. My conference love has always revolved around how it helps OBD. More macro than anything...I want OBD to win the best conference, but really couldn't care less about the actual success of the other members. So you can bet I'll be rooting for all B1G teams to kill it out of conference this year.

Good example. I'll be rooting for Utah to take the B12 this year, but again, to reflect well on us. Once we clear 2024 if Utah goes 3-9 in 2025 I really won't care or feel a shred of nostalgia.

Yeah, i hear ya on the new Big 12 teams, I think me still rooting for them comes down to supporting teams out west. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m sure SUC demanded as few games against the Ducks as possible to avoid their inevitable beat downs. These would have been high viewership games but they never happened. Another foot shooting move by the PAC.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No suggestions on sponsorships for the PAC 2.

Perhaps free public service announcements for Mental Health providers during rodent games. Their fans are under the delusion that the Ducks could have saved the conference, and constantly deflect blame onto others. 

I can’t say I can openly root for any other Big 10 team. However, I will quietly root for teams that positively influence our standing in the conference, and playoff race. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the article Darren, but I am no longer of the same opinion as you on this.  I got "over" the Pac-12 a long time ago, and already was looking at college sports from a standpoint of what the competition will be in the B1G. With some good success on the field, Oregon will be both welcomed for bringing honor to the B1G, but also despised right away for that success.

For many of the teams in the B1G conference....the presence of Oregon just knocked them down one more spot in the conference standings.  They know we mean business, and Lanning is going to be more seasoned, smarter and a tough out.

Remember...a good chunk of the Pac-12 was wanting out before we left, so while I will keep an eye on Utah, ASU and Zona....I will not be cheering for them against B1G foes.

I am sorry the Pac-12 is gone, and the reason is regional rivalries going back a hundred years.  But I am not sorry to leave a revenue contract worth half as much, and exposure to 80% of America that was a fraction of what it will be now for Our Beloved Ducks.

This Mascot is Going To Be

Even MORE Well Known...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Pac-2 sponsor thoughts:

Don’t forget fantasy sports leagues.

• Applause 2

Preparation H2

• Applause 1

Darren, like Charles I have moved on.  Although I will root for Utah/Whittingham & ASU/Dillingham.  After that, the BIGs so as to not lose ground to the only other power conference, the SEC.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nice read Darren on the old school emotional ties that so many of us still feel. Having now watched water pass beneath the bridge for a while, I have to admit I’m now somewhere in between your stance and where Charles seems to find himself.

I’ve had to unclutch from my unending fielty to proud, past memories of the PAC12, and accept the suicide its leaders inflicted on us as sad, but justly deserved. 

That said, I don’t confuse the human constructs of ‘conference’ and ‘league’ with regionalism. Conference is more closely aligned with power, political collaboration and $$, where as regionalism is something we just deeply feel.

Like you, I cannot - with any integrity - embrace BIG10 teams as brothers. As political allies? Perhaps. But neither can I wrap myself in the shredded remains of a banner so dishonored and abandoned by those who should have treated it with respect. They killed it. It’s gone.

Where does that leave me? For the time being, feeling like a wandering Duck caught in some modern day sports diaspora, forced into self-reliance and belonging nowhere. So that I don’t cave into that school yard yearning to belong, I remind myself that  the founding BIG10 members will never see us as equals, even if we win their championship for the next 10 years in a row. Just ask Nebraska fans.

But I don’t fret. It’s a process; just another step along the way. Just have to remind myself, from time to time, how much more compelling regionalism is than the  politics of conference survival.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

YARN | It's time to let old things die. | Star Wars: The Last Jedi Episode  VIII (2017) | Video clips by quotes | 73826dd8 | 紗

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Realignment was all about the money so I’ll be rooting for as many B1G teams to make and go far in the playoffs as possible. 

Of course, I’ll be rooting for some of our former conference mates, especially Utah, Cal, Stanford and the Arizona schools.