Charles Fischer

Cool! Josh Pate Defends Dan Lanning Against the Naysayers...

Great stuff, and some sweet quotes.  Oregon is making a number of fans elsewhere uncomfortable already, and are beginning to take their shots at Dan Lanning.  Pate brings up some fantastic comparisons--love it!

"Lanning has built an SEC program on the West Coast."

• Cool 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

It feels like the Lanning era has been a long time at this point... but it's only been TWO years!

Maybe it just feels longer to me because the Lanning era is as long as I have had children and having young kids distorts all sense of time.

FISHDUCK.COM

This football season was a success for Oregon football. Now, it doesn’t feel that way because it was just a few points short of...

Remove the Georgia loss and all of Lanning's losses have been by less than 7 points each. So much of that is fine tuning his game management and getting is rather young staff to learn those tough lessons in defeat.

This could very well by the year he puts it all together!

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I really like Josh Pate. He is knowledgeable, well spoken and likes Dan Lanning and the Oregon Ducks. 

• Thumbs Up 2

D. Lanning's tenure as our Head Coach (his FIRST Head Coaching position) has barely surpassed the tenure of only one of Oregon's past three previous head coaches.  So, yes, Waayyy too early to make any definitive statements on Dan's full potential as a Head Coach of a Power5 program.

However, the small sample size we have has to be most encouraging.  I believe D. Lanning "sold" Oregon on his abilities, by most likely pointing out what he, himself saw in the programs endeavours to not only reach the "promised land" but to indeed be a consistent top tier football program that develops and advances it's player personel.  He convinced them that he was the top man needed to help fulfill both of their full potentials.

After TWO years both Dan and the Oregon football program are both just starting to 'hit their stride".  Our first year in the B1G With Eight straight conference games without a bye, will most definitely "test" the mettle of both, but "ponder" about this for just a minute.

If, and yes a B1G if, that this year's team under Dan Lanning's leadership navigates a brutal and unfamiliar schedule their first year in the B1G. Wins the conference championship and secures a first round bye in the playoffs, then goes on to win said playoffs over say Dan's previous mentor K.Smart of Georgia.

Imagine the COMPLETE change of narrative after one season of both Dan Lanning AND that annoying, flashy, speedy, and now big and beefy, football team tucked away up there in the Pacific Northwest!

Yes.  We could very well be on the cusp of a "new" era in Oregon Ducks Football.  Dan Lanning is there to Lead the way.

Go Ducks!

• Applause 2

On 6/30/2024 at 9:55 PM, David Marsh said:

It feels like the Lanning era has been a long time at this point... but it's only been TWO years!

I agree with you...it seems longer.  Maybe because we have been so involved with watching the progress...and had so many good things to enjoy?  

Spitballing.  But bottom line is that it does seem longer. Good!  Because we have a ton of winning coming up to savor...

Lanning_GoDucks.com Video.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I love to analyze data and look at statistics, an admitted amateur, but I think you can learn a lot from observing trends in data. One fact when looking at data and statistics is understanding when you have enough data to create and rely on the statistics one is observing.

We don't have enough data on Dan Lanning to really have any valid statistics, or understand a trend, IMHO.

Right now we are going on feelings and emotions. My feelings with Dan Lanning are all positive. My emotions have been sent to the moon and dropped to the floor.

I think we will hit the floor a few more times, but moon is the just the start of how high Dan Lanning will take us.

Those are my feelings and emotions. I look forward to putting some more data together as the years pass and seeing some truly astounding statistics.

Oh, another feeling, this guy will be the GOAT coach at Oregon and take us to the promised land!

dan-lanning-oregon-moved-on-beating-colorado.webp

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2024 at 9:40 AM, Haywarduck said:

I love to analyze data and look at statistics, an admitted amateur, but I think you can learn a lot from observing trends in data. One fact when looking at data and statistics is understanding when you have enough data to create and rely on the statistics one is observing.

We don't have enough data on Dan Lanning to really have any valid statistics, or understand a trend, IMHO.

Right now we are going on feelings and emotions. My feelings with Dan Lanning are all positive. My emotions have been sent to the moon and dropped to the floor.

I think we will hit the floor a few more times, but moon is the just the start of how high Dan Lanning will take us.

Those are my feelings and emotions. I look forward to putting some more data together as the years pass and seeing some truly astounding statistics.

Oh, another feeling, this guy will be the GOAT coach at Oregon and take us to the promised land!

dan-lanning-oregon-moved-on-beating-colorado.webp

Good take, impossible for there to be a lot of data.

That being said, we have the biggest piece of data available, well technically speculation. DL rejected two SEC opportunities in two years, including the king of the mountain. Additionally, Kirby Smart is only 48 and DL doesn’t have an alma mater to leave for 😆 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

We don't have enough data on Dan Lanning to really have any valid statistics, or understand a trend

I think you can give some statistical credence to the seven or less point spread in losses following the Georgia game. Seems like there’s a learning curve going on in there.

We can compare to those who have won multiple National Championships....what did they do in their first two years?

Nick Saban's 1st two years: 12-11-1  (Saban lost to Louisiana Monroe his 1st season at Alabama)
Kirby Smart's 1st two years: 21-7  (Kirby lost to Vandy his 1st season at Georgia)
Dabo Swinney's 1st two years: 13-8  (Dabo lost to Georgia Tech his 1st season at Clemson)

Dan Lanning's 1st two years: 22-5  (Dan is further ahead of them, and climbing at a rapid pace)

Bully Lanning.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Four out of five of Lanning’s loses were to teams that played in the championship that year. All of those games were up for grabs in the final minute. The two coaches that are responsible for those four loses have gotten significant promotions.

I remember this team from two years ago. It appeared to be nearing a mutiny of exits against Mario’s plod ball view point. Now, the offense is top two in scoring and many other stats and the D is top ten in scoring. The team is preseason top five even in a new conference.

All this in just two seasons and coaching only twenty five games. I’d say only the coaches at Bama and UGA have any clear in game superiority at this point. And that could quickly change.

Under Lanning, I’d say the future looks damn green in Eugene!

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another thing that I've pointed out to Fuskies that they can't stand is that DeBoer has been coaching for eons and could only muster 3 point wins over DL who was only in his 1st and 2nd years as an HC.  They point out that DeBoer won so it doesn't matter.  I point out (correctly) that the trend for the next 5 years favors DL.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It feels longer because CDL literally takes no time off. It's a full time/year round job just to follow this program now. I'm exhausted!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/1/2024 at 2:18 PM, kirklandduck said:

Another thing that I've pointed out to Fuskies that they can't stand is that DeBoer has been coaching for eons and could only muster 3 point wins over DL who was only in his 1st and 2nd years as an HC.  They point out that DeBoer won so it doesn't matter.  I point out (correctly) that the trend for the next 5 years favors DL.

Plenty of data to show the next dawg coach will either be a complete failure, leave soon or quit the game altogether. None of those outcomes are good. One thing is for sure the dawg delusion will continue.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2024 at 8:34 PM, Haywarduck said:

Plenty of data to show the next dawg coach will either be a complete failure, leave soon or quit the game altogether. None of those outcomes are good. One thing is for sure the dawg delusion will continue.

My money is on leave soon. 

Fisch made a mistake leaving Arizona. He is a Florida alum and by the sound of it I had his eye in that job when it opens up. 

At zona he could have won the big 12 this year, made the playoff, and had his choice of any job. 

Instead he gets a Husky team that is devoid any any talent and due to the timing he took over he didn't have the chance to try and refill that talent competitivly. Instead he took bulk from the portal. 

I'll be all too happy to see the Ducks demolish Washington this year. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

With Saban's retirement only 3 active coaches have won a national championship - Kirby Smart, Dabo Swinney, and Mack Brown. Today, these 3 have to deal only with 8 and not 9 conference games in the regular season.

This is an elite company. Any criticism of a coach entering his third season for not winning a title is way off base. And winning a title is not getting easier. CFB has gone from the media deciding titles, a title could be won even if a team decided not to play in a bowl game, to winning one postseason game, then two games, and today, having to win three or four postseason games.

Further, in the next two seasons, the playoff format and game venues provide advantages for teams located in the south. 

In 2024, Oregon is one of 16 schools with a Blue Chip Roster but the only Power 4 school playing eight weeks straight without a break. 

The Ducks' 2024 SOS is No. 5. Ohio State's SOS is 57. 

Keep up the good fight under Danno and titles will come. Not all schedules are created equally. This season Rutgers misses Iowa, Michigan, Oregon, Ohio State, and Penn State, and plays UCLA and UW in Jersey. In 2025, Oregon will play neither Michigan nor Ohio State. 

Kick the damn ball off! Vandalize the Vandals!

• Thumbs Up 2