Thomallister1291

UCLA's Schedule Cancellations: Will Oregon Do the Same?

If you're an scheduling nerd like me, you'll have noticed recently that fellow Big Ten newcomer UCLA has cancelled home and homes against Auburn and Georgia, replacing them with Utah and Cal, former Pac-12 foes.

Meanwhile for our Ducks, I still think we could schedule more good opponents but it will be trickier in case we want to keep an Oregon State series till the end of times, I'm still hopeful we can schedule a home and home series or a kickoff game against a GOOD team like Alabama (just like Utah and Miami recently did), but I won't be surprised if we keep scheduling a bunch of cupcakes and local opponents.

On 7/14/2024 at 12:34 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

Meanwhile for our Ducks, I still think we could schedule more good opponents but it will be trickier in case we want to keep an Oregon State series till the end of times, I'm still hopeful we can schedule a home and home series or a kickoff game against a GOOD team like Alabama (just like Utah and Miami recently did), but I won't be surprised if we keep scheduling a bunch of cupcakes and local opponents.

The biggest thing about the expanded playoff, and to a bit of a lesser extent conference realignment, is that scheduling those big OOC match ups during the season are less appealing because there is a greater chance than ever the two teams meet in the playoff. 

If Oregon were to schedule a home and home with Bama the earliest we'd probably play them is probably 2035ish... 

We have a good chance of seeing Bama in the playoff before then. 

As @Jon Josephhasn't done so yet... I'll point it out that making our schedule harder doesn't do us any good, especially when the SEC isn't going to nine conference games anytime soon. 

I see Oregon keeping the Civil War game around for a while.

Then we'll have an FCS opponent, like almost everyone else, until a rule change. When it comes to FCS opponents I tend to like to keep those regional because that money keeps those FCS athletics afloat and I rather see that money go to PSU or EWU than a FCS school is Nebraska or somewhere. 

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Oregon schedule games against historical foes. I wouldn't mind an OOC game against Cal or Stanford or Arizona. There's history there and I'd like to see those games again. 

I've said it before but I don't have any emotional investment in Oregon v Maryland this season. But I would be far more emotionally invested if we played Cal. 

As for the civil war game... I think we'll feel a bit differently in a few years about that game. I think it's worth keeping for no other reason than a reduction in travel. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I don’t think the BIG schedules FCS opponents but they have allowed the new comers to keep pre scheduled games in place.

I could see future schedules involving OSU, a G5, and a former PAC foe. That would work for me.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I’d vote nope to scheduling big time OOC games. Keep it regional and dumb it down. Big Sky, MWC and random G6, rinse and repeat until schedules are no longer set by schools.

If our goal is to play 16-17 games, which would include, a B1G schedule, conference title game, and up to 4 additional playoff teams…IMO there is no incentive to willingly make it more challenging.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 12:59 PM, David Marsh said:

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Oregon schedule games against historical foes. I wouldn't mind an OOC game against Cal or Stanford or Arizona.

Agreed. The B1G schedule is going to be tough enough, no need to make it tougher with OOC games with teams we will face in the Playoffs.  And yes, we will certainly play Alabama in the Playoffs in the near future, IMHO.

No FCS teams on OOC, and frankly--the Pig-2 are taking enough from us.  They do not deserve the revenue in playing us again.

Say Bye...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon State will be a mid major soon, if they are not already. Conference re-alignment is going to kill their recruiting and resources.  So thankful that Oregon got off the sinking ship…

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/14/2024 at 3:01 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Agreed. The B1G schedule is going to be tough enough, no need to make it tougher with OOC games with teams we will face in the Playoffs.  And yes, we will certainly play Alabama in the Playoffs in the near future, IMHO.

No FCS teams on OOC, and frankly--the Pig-2 are taking enough from us.  They do not deserve the revenue in playing us again.

Say Bye...

giphy.gif

But what if we keep scheduling OSU and they just never win. 

Think about it.... With the way these programs are diverging this could be a decades long win streak for the Ducks. 

Wouldn't if be fun if the Beavers start to see this game as an automatic L every year. Their fans would go crazy and then disillusioned and then resign themselves that they'll just keep scheduling that butt kicking to keep them out of the Big Sky. 

I think it might be worth the money for that. 

• Haha 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/14/2024 at 8:43 PM, David Marsh said:

But what if we keep scheduling OSU and they just never win. 

Think about it.... With the way these programs are diverging this could be a decades long win streak for the Ducks. 

Wouldn't if be fun if the Beavers start to see this game as an automatic L every year. Their fans would go crazy and then disillusioned and then resign themselves that they'll just keep scheduling that butt kicking to keep them out of the Big Sky. 

I think it might be worth the money for that. 

There are actually many in their camp that think they’re doing OBD a favor by allowing us the privilege of playing them. If we pound them this year I wouldn’t be surprised if they backed out of the return trip.

Be careful what you wish for or overlook. The Civil War has been one of the great rivalries in college football. I think it should continue.

I don't care that they got all that money. What are the going to do with it, build dams?

Let us not overlook Boise State. They are much like the Beavers. They beat us the last 3 times we played. Alas, I repeat myself.

The B1G allows its teams to schedule FCS opponents. 

WWW.SI.COM

We could see a big change to the Big Ten football schedule in time for when USC and UCLA join the conference in time for the 2024 college football season as the

On 7/15/2024 at 11:20 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The B1G allows its teams to schedule FCS opponents. 

WWW.SI.COM

We could see a big change to the Big Ten football schedule in time for when USC and UCLA join the conference in time for the 2024 college football season as the

These games are a critical part of the larger college football financial eco system. 

They just shouldn't count towards bowl eligiblity. The SEC would look significantly less impressive if you remove the at times two freebe wins against FCS opponents every year. With that said... Most barely bowl eligible teams looks less impressive record wise when you remove the FCS wins. 

Personally.... I think these games should be played, FCS athletics need them, but they should be played as Spring Games. 

FISHDUCK.COM

The Spring Game is just a glorified scrimmage. It’s something all fans know, but we still get excited about...

• Thumbs Up 1

Enjoyed all of the comments.

What does playing OK State and Baylor get you? Michigan played 3 cupcakes OOC last season and other than Penn State on the road and Ohio State at home the Wolverines played a soft conference schedule. The week schedule did not prevent Michigan from being the No. 1 PO seed. 

With nine B1G games, there is no reason to tax yourself OOC. Any game against the B12 means a fired-up opponent trying to knock off a Power 2 team. Schedule 1 FCS and 2 G5 teams and make certain to play all three games in Autzen. Every other year Oregon will have 5 B1G road games and should aim to play at least seven home games every year.

This year Ohio State is going the way of 2023 Michigan. 3 home cupcakes, all G5, to start the season and eight home games. tOSU has the easiest schedule among the B1G champ contenders. Next season and in 2026, the Buckeyes play Texas OOC. In 2027 and 2028, tOSU plays Bama. IMO, save this kind of game for the PO.

Playing a soft OOC schedule may affect PO seeding but I don't see Michigan losing to Texas this season or at Oklahoma in 2025 making up for an extra W in December. And win or lose a B1G OOC game, you will not get a B1Gger piece of the media pie. Michigan sells out against Eastern Michigan and Ohio State sells out for Kent State. To reiterate, I say save the heavy lifting for the postseason.

And Rob, cancel the game scheduled to be played in Logan, Utah, please. 

On 7/15/2024 at 2:35 PM, David Marsh said:

These games are a critical part of the larger college football financial eco system. 

They just shouldn't count towards bowl eligiblity. The SEC would look significantly less impressive if you remove the at times two freebe wins against FCS opponents every year. With that said... Most barely bowl eligible teams looks less impressive record wise when you remove the FCS wins. 

Personally.... I think these games should be played, FCS athletics need them, but they should be played as Spring Games. 

FISHDUCK.COM

The Spring Game is just a glorified scrimmage. It’s something all fans know, but we still get excited about...

Spot On, DM. Counting the Spring Game as the first game of the regular season and all teams playing in Week 0 would go a long way toward having CFB PO games conflicting with NFL games. Do this and have half of the G5 and P4 off in Week 6 and the other half in Week 7 and you could move the 1st-round of the PO up to the first weekend in December. 

It's built into the media agreements but come the new B1G agreement in 2030, it probably would make sense to drop the conference champ game. Why tag an additional loss on a conference member whose regular season record has it in contention for the PO? Another loss would likely lead to a lower seeding.

It's a different scheduling world with a 12-team PO and I expect we will see a 14 or 16-team PO come 2026,

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2024 at 5:27 AM, Chuc007 said:

Be careful what you wish for or overlook. The Civil War has been one of the great rivalries in college 

Traditional rivalries went out the window with conference realignments. Oregon has one of the top teams in the nation, with the ability to continue to recruit at a very high level into the future.

Take a look at the rodents recruiting. SDSU, WSU, BSU, and Idaho will be a more competitive rivalry for them. 

I think many Duck fans oppose playing them simply because of the financial windfall they would receive from us. They will not be a threat to the Ducks for the foreseeable future. 

Naw.. if we were still in the Pac, I would be on board

Its more than enough schedule toughnes just from the Big 10

• Thumbs Up 1

There are very few annual rivalry games played which are not in the same conference. 

Georgia vs Ga Tech, S. Carolina vs Clemson has two SEC teams playing 8 conference games so those non-con opponents are 1 of 4 non-conference.   Will Oklahoma play Okie State as one of four non-conference?

Pitt vs W. Virginia, Colorado vs Colorado St, Iowa vs Iowa State are 3 more.   When the "rival" becomes one of 3 non-conference games it becomes a schedule downside for fans.  Iowa fans talk about wanting to see "more variety."

If the Ducks and UW are going to play an FCS and a Group of 5 every year, do their fans want to be locked into OSU and WSU as the non-B1G "major opponent?"    Personally, I would rather see more schedule variation....especially because Beavers would expect home-and-home.

Think back through some very attractive visiting opponents over the last 20 seasons.  Do we really want to give that up to see Beavers every year?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/15/2024 at 1:27 PM, HDuck said:

If the Ducks and UW are going to play an FCS and a Group of 5 every year, do their fans want to be locked into OSU and WSU as the non-B1G "major opponent?"    Personally, I would rather see more schedule variation....especially because Beavers would expect home-and-home.

Think back through some very attractive visiting opponents over the last 20 seasons.  Do we really want to give that up to see Beavers every year?

But our current schedule design is to play 1 FCS, 1 G5 and 1 P4. 

Scheduling is getting a reshuffling for lots of reasons and I see the Beavers slotting into that G5 slot in the long run. 

We're going to have better andote frequent marquis matchups due to the playoff and B1G by default. 

Thinking of those big OOC games over the past years. 

Michigan State, Ohio State, Auburn are the big ones that come to mind. Two are conference opponents now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like Oregon to move to a 2 FCS + 1 G5 or 1 FCS + 2 G5 format for out of conference scheduling.  Given the competitiveness of the B10 and the expanded CFP, we should treat the out of conference schedule as on field practice for the team before the regular season starts.  This is much more important nowadays given the increased flux of players transferring in and out during the off-season.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Thieve Beavs?

I don't think they want to mess with us...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

OSU shuffling into the G5 slot?    Well, then that would mean no games in Corvallis and I doubt Beavis fans and the state's sportswriters would be happy with that.

So, if OSU remains in the P4 slot, I just hope it is not on a regular basis.

If was ok when the game was part of the Pac10/12 schedule, but not as a replacement for a new P4 opportunity on the schedule.

Since 2000, Autzen has hosted Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan St, Nebraska which will soon be B1G opponents, but I would rather have a Big12, ACC, or SEC opponent replace them as the 10th Power 4 game than OSU.  Other programs that have visited:  Mississippi St, Oklahoma, Houston, Tennessee, Virginia, BYU. 

To me, seeing that variety of visitors is much better than hosting OSU every year or every-other-year.  Utah, UA, ASU, Cal, Stanford would be better options than an annual with OSU as a non-conference opponent.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/15/2024 at 2:46 PM, HDuck said:

To me, seeing that variety of visitors is much better than hosting OSU every year or every-other-year.  Utah, UA, ASU, Cal, Stanford would be better options than an annual with OSU as a non-conference opponent.

Amen Duck-Brother.

Mr. FishDuck

I don't care about the Bruins. I say we kick Beavis to the curb, let them come groveling back if they want the game as their other opponents don't fill their cracker Jack box.

A 2 or 3 for one sounds about right.

We traded up from OSU to TOSU. We don't need them, many of us don't want them.

• Applause 1

I still have a little bit of hope we schedule a P4 opponent that isn't one of our former Pac foes, as much as I understand why y'all only want them

Memo to Rob Mullens:

Call Southern Oregon University and schedule them in Week 10 every year.  

Also known as the Crimson Tide's Directional State University late season "bye" week to heal up for the stretch run strategy.

"...former Pac12 foes, as much as I understand y'all want them."

I don't want them so much as rather I don't want OSU every season.  So, in the world of alternatives outside of OSU, there is Cal, Stanford fairly close for a home-and-home, and UA/ASU/Utah potentially for recruiting access.  Obviously, other opponents from the Big12, ACC, SEC too.   Perhaps even WSU.

But, locking in a non-conference annual slot with OSU (like Iowa vs Iowa State) limits options for varying opponents at Autzen, and varying opponents for road trips.   An FCS, a Group of 5, and a Power4 seem like the best non-conference approach.   Any "annual opponent" out of conference seems a waste of opportunities whether it is a Group of 5 or Power4.

UO vs OSU is not annual USC vs Notre Dame, nor could it ever be.   Likewise, OSU should use scheduling of multiple opponents to rebuild their resume - anybody, anytime, anywhere.

LSU, Notre Dame, and a good G5 team in Utah State. Gulp. Many the hero is awarded medals posthumously. 

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

USC-LSU is coming closer, and we’ll have a lot more to say about it now that the season is approaching.

2 mirror image teams. Both replacing a Heisman-winning QB and both with new coaching hires on the D side trying to plug the holes in Swiss cheese Ds. 

I trust that Tony Petitti will be watching and will advocate LV as a playoff site. Fortunately, the game will be played indoors although it has cooled off in Vegas, 115 to 108.