cartm25

B1G Media Day: Not a Great Start for UCLA

This was painful to watch.

I'd rather we swap UCLA out for Oregon State and Washington St.

At least there'd be a LOT more excitement, LOL

Edited by cartm25
  • Yikes! 1

giphy.gif

You said it...if I was a Bruin, I'd be pretty embarrassed...

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/24/2024 at 4:28 PM, cartm25 said:

I'd rather we swap UCLA out for Oregon State and Washington St.

No, thank you, but I would take Stanford over UCLA....

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Man O Man ...the ultimate "brain-freeze, at exactly the Wrong Time!

Painful.

Not quite the Mike Leach SEC Media Day opener, but then again what comes close to The Pirate?

• Salute 1

You'd think a little preparation might have been expected.

" our football team, (pause) is in LA, with, um, USC".

Sheer brilliance. Wow.

This is probably his first time as the main focus on a really big stage, I don't blame him for freezing (I hate public speaking as well).  He'll be measured more for his team's performance on the field than a press conference.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/24/2024 at 3:41 PM, OregonDucks said:

No, thank you, but I would take Stanford over UCLA....

Totally forgot Stanford and would prefer them to UCLA, also.

But, I still stand by my Beavers/Cougs comment. Say what you will about OSU and WSU (I know there are strong feelings), but they at least seem to care more about football than UCLA does.

OUCH

On 7/24/2024 at 3:22 PM, cartm25 said:

Say what you will about OSU and WSU (I know there are strong feelings), but they at least seem to care more about football than UCLA does.

With 200 mil of stolen money, they should.

On 7/24/2024 at 4:47 PM, Steven A said:

With 200 mil of stolen money, they should.

I haven't followed closely. Did they really pocket $200M between the two schools!!??

I've found a new "Mari Cristbal" for which I will root for failure.

Listen to this guy . . .

All he was saying is, I haven't quite figured out how to recruit using Nil, but Oregon is trying to help show us how its done.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/24/2024 at 5:04 PM, DanLduck said:

" our football team, (pause) is in LA, with, um, USC".

Well, that was UCLA's entire pitch to the B1G on why they should get in ahead of Oregon and get the full media share...

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Applause 1

On 7/24/2024 at 6:45 PM, TerryM9 said:

All he was saying is, I haven't quite figured out how to recruit using Nil, but Oregon is trying to help show us how its done.

UCLA doesn't have the booster support for athletics (not even for mens basketball).

I just hate when the teacher asks me to summarize chapter 8 and I only read the first 4.

Yikes, this was not a surprise event.  He had some time to prepare a few remarks.

Beyond cringeworthy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed.  I was cocky for years with public speaking, and once had an inexplicable brain freeze and was quite embarrassed.

I learned my lesson, and from that point on, always had a list of bullet points to discuss that I could always turn to. The confidence of just having it there made me confident to where I never had to even look at them. But it’s always smart to have a back up.

if he is not an experienced public speaker, then he absolutely should’ve been prepared, as a performance like that brings real doubt to the boosters, especially considering he was not a top level selection as a head coach.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

An embarrassing press conference.

He will be in front of a microphone every game. He better perform much better on the sidelines, or his coaching career will end quickly. 

Does anyone see him making it more than 2 years there? 

• Haha 1

Yeah, someone should have at least written a boiler plate speech he could read for 2 minutes, would take about 5 minutes to write on a napkin.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like this balanced take from CBS Sports.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

DeShaun Foster was nervous before his first carry in 1998 and he was nervous again Wednesday. But after an uncomfortable press conference, the UCLA head coach showed who he really is

Foster has UCLA's 2025 recruiting inside the top 40. UCLA's recruiting disappeared under Chip. Jim Mora recruited successfully at UCLA and I believe Foster will, with even half-decent booster support, do the same.

It wasn't All Good across town.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

"We're coming quickly," Riley says, but at success-starved USC, it can't come quick enough

Is a Jimbo-like buyout coming? Or, does SC with a new D staff and missing the Ducks and Buckeyes compete for the C1G title? 

Riley blames literally EVERYONE but himself. 

The dude is consistent.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/27/2024 at 5:45 PM, Jon Joseph said:

It wasn't All Good across town.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

"We're coming quickly," Riley says, but at success-starved USC, it can't come quick enough

Is a Jimbo-like buyout coming? Or, does SC with a new D staff and missing the Ducks and Buckeyes compete for the C1G title? 

I think that USC will do a little better than expected. Riley is a really good offensive coach and their DC should be able to improve the defense.

The issue is recruiting and Riley’s ability to meet USC football expectations.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Talking about LA is a pretty sad way to start the week so I’ll leave it at that.

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/28/2024 at 8:20 AM, Just Ducky said:

Talking about LA is a pretty sad way to start the week so I’ll leave it at that.

Talking “poorly” about LA is a great way to start the week :)

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2024 at 10:10 AM, OregonDucks said:

I think that USC will do a little better than expected. Riley is a really good offensive coach and their DC should be able to improve the defense.

The issue is recruiting and Riley’s ability to meet USC football expectations.  

Oregon Ducks, SC's 2024 schedule gives SC a chance, even if in the minds of the media it's not a B1G chance. SC does not play Ohio State or Oregon in 2024.

SC's schedule strength is goosed by playing LSU and Notre Dame out of conference. A loss or even two losses OOC will not impact the conference race. Notre Dame visits LA for the last regular season game. There is a lot of football to be played before the Domers come to Tinsel Town.

In even years the Ducks have 5 conference home games. SC is on the road for 5 games in even years but on the whole, the road games are not that difficult. Troy makes a 3M road game circuit: Michigan, Minnesota, and Maryland. SC also plays UW in Seattle and the Rose Bowl vs. UCLA. Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Rutgers, all visit LA. 

With The Grinch Who Stole Defense gone, SC made tackles in space vs Louisville. And SC's speed advantage in the Holiday Bowl was obvious. SC has a Blue Chip Roster and few 'traditional teams' in the B1G can match SC's speed. Will a total coaching change on the D side of the ball make a difference on both lines of scrimmage? We'll get an early look in 2024 when SC opens against LSU, a team that also had a suspect D in 2023 and like SC has made significant coaching changes on defense. 

If QB Miller Moss can come close to his Holiday performance, SC has the chance to go 10-2. 

On 7/28/2024 at 8:40 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Oregon Ducks, SC's 2024 schedule gives SC a chance, even if in the minds of the media it's not a B1G chance. SC does not play Ohio State or Oregon in 2024.

SC's schedule strength is goosed by playing LSU and Notre Dame out of conference. A loss or even two losses OOC will not impact the conference race. Notre Dame visits LA for the last regular season game. There is a lot of football to be played before the Domers come to Tinsel Town.

In even years the Ducks have 5 conference home games. SC is on the road for 5 games in even years but on the whole, the road games are not that difficult. Troy makes a 3M road game circuit: Michigan, Minnesota, and Maryland. SC also plays UW in Seattle and the Rose Bowl vs. UCLA. Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Rutgers, all visit LA. 

With The Grinch Who Stole Defense gone, SC made tackles in space vs Louisville. And SC's speed advantage in the Holiday Bowl was obvious. SC has a Blue Chip Roster and few 'traditional teams' in the B1G can match SC's speed. Will a total coaching change on the D side of the ball make a difference on both lines of scrimmage? We'll get an early look in 2024 when SC opens against LSU, a team that also had a suspect D in 2023 and like SC has made significant coaching changes on defense. 

If QB Miller Moss can come close to his Holiday performance, SC has the chance to go 10-2. 

They definitely have a shot at 10-2, but I think they need that opener to do so. I’d call 8-4 if they lose to LSU. Hopefully be a fun one

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2024 at 10:40 AM, Jon Joseph said:

USC’s over/under is 7.5. If I were a betting man, I’d go with the over. I think 10 wins is a stretch but believe 8 or 9 wins is possible, if the defense improves even slightly. 

• Thumbs Up 1