Charles Fischer

Would B1G Fans Handle Getting "Ducked-Up" at Their Home Games?

I am writing this tongue-in-cheek of course, because it looks like the Oregon Brand is working to establish "The Duck" quickly among our new B1G brothers.  First we saw the huge inflatable Duck at the B1G Media Meetings, and then we read how Dan Lanning stated,...

"I'm hoping we get to travel that Duck to all of our away games this year." Lanning said.

So Michigan fans could see it in the Huron River, but how would the Beavers handle it in the Willamette River?  Or in Mary's River below the bridge that so many fans walk over going to games? Could there be more than one inflatable Duck?

What do YOU think the reaction would be from the B1G fans?  From Beavis fans?  (Yes, they are not B1G, but it would be fun to irritate them!)

WWW.SI.COM

The Oregon Duck Mascot surprises the Big Ten Conference again! This time, the Duck decided to fly across the country to attend Nebraska Cornhuskers Media Day. L

Above was in another thread...but it blew me away.  This has never happened as "The Duck" showed up at the opening media day for Nebraska?  It was stunning, but the media in Lincoln played along and had fun with it.

This is over-the-top thinking that I just love, and what a great way to get opposing fans excited about coming to Autzen and filling our stadium! As was in the article that I agree with and love...

"The Ducks have undoubtedly one of the most recognizable brands in college football and this move will definitely bring even more eyeballs to Oregon as it joins the Big Ten conference."

I am just a fan who SO APPRECIATES the innovative minds at Oregon, and let's face it--it adds to the entertainment and interest!  What did we all discuss about how Oregon is going to have MILLIONS more eyeballs watching them this fall?

It is going to happen.

This new B1G thing is so much fun already!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

A Lincoln TV station wrote about the unusual visit too...

WWW.KETV.COM

Yes, the Oregon Duck mascot was in Lincoln on Tuesday.

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

So cool!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/30/2024 at 9:58 AM, Charles Fischer said:

So cool!

Why are human mascots so creepy and off putting. 

Glad we have the Duck! 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Duck is a fun mascot, so I think with the possible exception of the beavs, other fans would see the fun in a giant duck on a river near them. 🙂

After all, it's not like letting a Texas longhorn or a Colorado buffalo run loose in the streets of the home of another team. 😉

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Puddles for P . . . . ! (oops, my bad! No political references allowed)

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let the ankle biting (copy catting) commence! Any bets on which school will be the first to have a large inflatable at their games or their mascot show up to another school's presser?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/30/2024 at 10:06 AM, David Marsh said:

Why are human mascots so creepy and off putting. 

Glad we have the Duck! 

Because they’re huge 😂 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 7/30/2024 at 12:12 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Because they’re huge 😂 

I think it has something to do with the faces as well. 

They're cartoony but like the type of cartoon face that if you take you eye off then they'll murder you in your sleep. 

• Haha 2

In the catalog of ‘unfair’ Oregon advantages other programs like to pout over (Phil Knight, etc), one that they probably don’t see is Puddles.

As we know, the vast majority of mascots were chosen because they’re felt to have power-enhancing, high-on-the-food-chain, predatory images. Some have local origins (who else would want to be a buckeye?). Others were chosen just to avoid predatory associations; ie, non-threatening or humorous symbols.

But, none of these mascots can be claimed by any as out rightly their own. They are universally held images anyone has the right to employee. Except for Puddles.

Yes, Puddles is a duck which other schools claim as a mascot. But, what these other ducks (and all other mascots) don’t have is their origin in a contractual agreement that gave them what amounts to trademark rights on a universally accepted image of warm and fuzzy happiness: a Disney cartoon character.

When seeing Puddles, people may only think ‘Oregon’, but just below the surface that inner child is feeling something entirely different. 

That’s why Puddles is such a national, ‘unfair’ advantage. You may dislike, even hate Oregon. But you’re not going to spit on apple pie and mom.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

It turns out it was Puddles that offered Dan Lanning the unlimited NIL resources, and NOT Phil Knight.

Swimming In Money GIF - Swim Swimming Dough - Discover & Share GIFs

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 5
  • Mic drop 1

On 7/30/2024 at 10:07 AM, Annie said:

After all, it's not like letting a Texas longhorn or a Colorado buffalo run loose in the streets of the home of another team. 😉

Sshhhhh....Don't give those marketing teams any ideas.  Going to have to top our "top duck", and that might be the only way to do it!  😮

...and just HOURS away from first day of training camp.  For me, the season starts tomorrow.

GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm thinking that  Kevlar feathers/coating will be necessary at some of the stops.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The road trip.  Rumored next stop is Minneapolis.   With a little cooperation, the various B1G outposts could have some fun with this with some prior planning.  Vignette locking The Duck out of a stadium, The Duck eating spray cheese in Wisconsin, walking thru the corn at The Field of Dreams in Iowa with the Hawkeye's mascot, ...

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/30/2024 at 3:12 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Because they’re huge 😂 

See the photo making the rounds of Simone Biles standing next to Shaq!

That video in the X post of the Duck traveling is so much fun!

This whole beginning of the season feels like...

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/31/2024 at 1:44 PM, Charles Fischer said:

That video in the X post of the Duck traveling is so much fun!

This whole beginning of the season feels like...

Mrs. Lanning You've got a Lovely Team. 😍

So Puddles Cross the Mersey, There's a Title Waiting There. 😁

A loss to the Buckeyes Is A Must to Avoid. 😵

Listen People, Get Out of OBD's Way. 😂

@ Midnight, January 21, 2024 - Atlanta, Georgia - There's A Kind Of Hush All Over Dixie Tonight.

And Can't You Hear the Hearts Beat in Eugene! 👍👍👍

• Haha 1

Hermits! Get your Synch together!

Totally hilarious! 

I laughed out loud when he put an X in Seattle and then ripped it off the map!

• Thumbs Up 2

I remember the home and home with Nebraska was fantastic for both fan bases, with them appreciating each other and wishing they could do it again.

Now they get their wish.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello Minneapolis.

• Applause 1