FishDuck Article

With the Ducks Playing a Potato, Check Out These Games

The season is here! Every year I am emotionally torn between the joy of football season starting and the harsh reality that summer is ending and cold weather — which really means something here in frigid Spokane — is on the horizon. It is my own personal “Sunday scaries” for the year. With the Ducks playing a tomato (or is ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com recommends some other games to watch this week as the Ducks play a patsy.
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks for the article!

I will definitely be watching Clemson v. Georgia, and I hope Miami does something embarrassing.

What about DJ at TE since he already knows the offense? Hopefully his hands are better at catching than throwing . . .

Hats off to Coach Key and the Ramblin' Wreck. 

The game in Dublin cemented my belief that opening with an FCS opponent is the way to go. Highly touted transfers are not ipso facto going to meld into their new teams. The 'best D-line in the USA' had zero sacks, 2 TFL, and gave up an average of 5.3 yards per rushing attempt. And with a playoff format that has the playoff champ playing 16 or 17 games, scheduling a 'certain win' makes even more sense. 

In 2025, Michigan opens with a visit to Oklahoma and Ohio State opens with a visit from Texas. I don't get it. Under existing revenue disbursement agreements, you get the same cut playing Tulane and Rice. 

B1G Upset Alert: No. 8 Penn State at No. 33 (others receiving votes) West Virginia. 

Three years running Michigan made the 4-team playoff playing thin-air OOC. FSU opens at home vs. Florida A+M and the Seminoles are 1-0 and have not used up a playoff mulligan. 

Playing in the B1G means there is no reason to play brand-name opponents out-of-conference. For that matter, why schedule H+H series with B12 teams?

Pound the Potato Pickers! Ducks -44.5. 😍

I will give DJ credit.

The odds of receiving a D1 scholarship are slim, and then just over 1% of college players will suit up in the NFL. During the season the NFL may have 100 QB’s on rosters, and most are veteran players. Tough to get an invite to that fraternity. 

I always hope these guys understand the odds of making a living playing football are rather small, and they use their scholarship to help prepare for their future beyond the grid iron. 

On 8/27/2024 at 10:06 AM, Drake said:

I will give DJ credit.

The odds of receiving a D1 scholarship are slim, and then just over 1% of college players will suit up in the NFL. During the season the NFL may have 100 QB’s on rosters, and most are veteran players. Tough to get an invite to that fraternity. 

I always hope these guys understand the odds of making a living playing football are rather small, and they use their scholarship to help prepare for their future beyond the grid iron. 

I am sure DJU also decided to transfer one more time, and this time to FSU, because the NIL payout has to be pretty good. Especially for someone who was probably projected rather low in the draft or not at all. The NIL game is changing everything about when players enter the NFL draft, even star players. 

• Applause 1

On 8/27/2024 at 10:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

In 2025, Michigan opens with a visit to Oklahoma and Ohio State opens with a visit from Texas. I don't get it. Under existing revenue disbursement agreements, you get the same cut playing Tulane and Rice.

I love these matchups, so I will refrain from biting the hand feeding me games I've longed to see for years.

Here are some reasons I think it makes sense:

- Recruiting / Transfer Portal - Playing in MASSIVE games garners huge, prolonged national attention and drives up exposure for the programs (win or loss). Every major network, show, and media personality will be interviewing coaches, players and programs for weeks leading up to the game.

- Recruiting / Transfer Portal 2.0 - Visiting team can make recruiting inroads in an area where they may have a small footprint.

- Recruiting / Transfer Portal 2.0 - Imagine the recruiting content created from these games (e.g., That Team Out West videos by Oregon).

- Iron Sharpens Iron - A true test to see where your program is at by playing and coaching against the best.

- Experience - Valuable experience for players--young an old--to play in big-time game.

- Strength of Schedule - A potential boost to both teams' SOS vying for CFP consideration. 

- Scouting - What better way to get film on a potential CFP opponent.

- Less Risky - Given the 12-team playoff, ALL of the potential benefits above can be enjoyed while taking on less risk. Every goal and aspiration for the losing team is still within reach. Thank goodness 1 loss has less of an impact than it has in the past.

- Overall - These matchups are a win for fans and the game of college football.

• Whew! 1

On 8/27/2024 at 8:17 AM, cartm25 said:

Thanks for the article!

I will definitely be watching Clemson v. Georgia, and I hope Miami does something embarrassing.

What about DJ at TE since he already knows the offense? Hopefully his hands are better at catching than throwing . . .

That's an idea, you never know, but not qb.

cartm25, great take.

Let iron sharpen iron in the playoff. Lose one of the Brand Name Games in season and you have used up a PO mulligan. I want Duck fans salivating over playing brand-name opponents outside of the B1G in December and January.  Play in the champ game and it's a 16 or 17-game season.

Why add a game beyond the B1G conference that is taxing physically and mentally? The season going from 8/24/24 to 1/20/25 means you have to be scheduling savvy like never before. You need games where the score allows backup players to get experience while the starters rest.

As of now, no one knows how the PO Committee will value Strength-of-Schedule if it is valued at all. No one knows if these big-time OOC games are worth the candle. I need to see it to believe an additional loss OOC to a top-drawer opponent will not at the very least affect a team's PO seeding. 

The most important factors regarding recruiting HS and the portal are - 1. Did you make the PO field? 2, Did you make it to the semi-finals or better? 3. Do you send players on to The League?  4. Are you competitive in the world on NIL?

Make no mistake, I want OBD to play brand names but I want these games played in the postseason. Playing Michigan and Ohio State in 2024 already puts a lot of meat on the bone and should be sufficient to entice any recruit from HS and the portal. 

Many heroes are awarded their medals posthumously. I care about the Ducks more than the game of college football itself. Puddles playoff flight path in 2024 is tough enough as is, including being handed eight conference games without a break. I see no need to add a game vs. an SEC opponent, OK State, or Baylor to the gauntlet OBD will face in the B1G. 

This gauntlet could well include another trip into the Eastern time zone to play a 13th game in Indianapolis on December 7th. The B1G champ game would be Oregon's second trip in its last five games to the Eastern time zone, including a game at Michigan, plus a trip to Wisconsin in November. 

Again I respect your opinion that is shared by others no doubt.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/27/2024 at 9:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Hats off to Coach Key and the Ramblin' Wreck. 

The game in Dublin cemented my belief that opening with an FCS opponent is the way to go. Highly touted transfers are not ipso facto going to meld into their new teams. The 'best D-line in the USA' had zero sacks, 2 TFL, and gave up an average of 5.3 yards per rushing attempt. And with a playoff format that has the playoff champ playing 16 or 17 games, scheduling a 'certain win' makes even more sense. 

B1G Upset Alert: No. 8 Penn State at No. 33 (others receiving votes) West Virginia. 

Three years running Michigan made the 4-team playoff playing thin-air OOC. FSU opens at home vs. Florida A+M and the Seminoles are 1-0 and have not used up a playoff mulligan. 

Playing in the B1G means there is no reason to play brand-name opponents out-of-conference. For that matter, why schedule H+H series with B12 teams?

Pound the Potato Pickers! Ducks -44.5. 😍

I see your point. Of course, most of these big games were most likely scheduled years ago. And, with the expanded playoff you have more room for error, a "good loss" on the road against a top-tier team is almost the same as a W. But, yeah, schedule an at-home, money-making, sure-fire win. 

On 8/27/2024 at 10:06 AM, Drake said:

I will give DJ credit.

For sure, and we wish him the best of luck. 

On 8/27/2024 at 10:21 AM, David Marsh said:

I am sure DJU also decided to transfer one more time, and this time to FSU, because the NIL payout has to be pretty good. Especially for someone who was probably projected rather low in the draft or not at all. The NIL game is changing everything about when players enter the NFL draft, even star players. 

Thanks. No doubt he got a handsome payout at the top ranked qb transfer. 

On 8/27/2024 at 10:29 AM, cartm25 said:

I love these matchups, so I will refrain from biting the hand feeding me games I've longed to see for years.

Here are some reasons I think it makes sense:

- Recruiting / Transfer Portal - Playing in MASSIVE games garners huge, prolonged national attention and drives up exposure for the programs (win or loss). Every major network, show, and media personality will be interviewing coaches, players and programs for weeks leading up to the game.

- Recruiting / Transfer Portal 2.0 - Visiting team can make recruiting inroads in an area where they may have a small footprint.

- Recruiting / Transfer Portal 2.0 - Imagine the recruiting content created from these games (e.g., That Team Out West videos by Oregon).

- Iron Sharpens Iron - A true test to see where your program is at by playing and coaching against the best.

- Experience - Valuable experience for players--young an old--to play in big-time game.

- Strength of Schedule - A potential boost to both teams' SOS vying for CFP consideration. 

- Scouting - What better way to get film on a potential CFP opponent.

- Less Risky - Given the 12-team playoff, ALL of the potential benefits above can be enjoyed while taking on less risk. Every goal and aspiration for the losing team is still within reach. Thank goodness 1 loss has less of an impact than it has in the past.

- Overall - These matchups are a win for fans and the game of college football.

Stop making so much sense! Great take. 

On 8/27/2024 at 2:03 PM, Darren Perkins said:

I see your point. Of course, most of these big games were most likely scheduled years ago. And, with the expanded playoff you have more room for error, a "good loss" on the road against a top-tier team is almost the same as a W. But, yeah, schedule an at-home, money-making, sure-fire win. 

Great point about games already scheduled. Among other scheduled big brand games, SC and Ole Miss canceled their H+H series scheduled to begin next season. Bama has an impressive group of teams scheduled OOC in the future. Let's see how Greg Byrne reacts if Bama plays 16, 17, or even 15 games this season and after the SEC, if it ever happens, goes to 9 conference games. 

If Rob could cancel the games scheduled with OK State and Baylor in favor of Tulsa and Rice it would be fine with me. In 2025 OBD plays Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State, Rutgers, and UW on the road and plays USC and Wisconsin at home. IMO, 'this' is enough.

On 8/27/2024 at 12:21 PM, David Marsh said:

And he didn’t want to play for a Mountain West team…

• Haha 1

At this point, just having football on TV is enough, but, you're right, there are some great games on this weekend. Welcome back real football!

USATSI_16831014.jpg.webp

I know you should never, but maybe OBD could look to the potatoes of next week - BSU is definitely a bigger threat!

We will be watching ND-aTm primarily at the 4:30PM slot.   My daughter graduated a Domer, so we no longer hate them, LOL.    This game will determine the future of both teams this year.

Edited by DuckFan93

Good food for thought.

I'm solidly with JJ here. League play and the playoff itself are challenging enough, choose the path of least resistance with what you can control. This is compounded to an even greater degree with the SEC only playing 8 conference games while the B1G plays 9.

Success in the playoff provides more benefit than any random big-time OOC matchup. In the end, no one will be impressed if Michigan misses the playoff because of a regular season loss to Texas...they'll just remember they went 9-3 and played in the Cheez-It Bowl.

• Applause 1

FYI, if you want to watch N. Dakota State  / Colorado game, tune in Thursday night.

We got Jordan, Alex, Darren, David and yours-truly writing during the season...all is right again!

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/27/2024 at 11:58 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Good food for thought.

I'm solidly with JJ here. League play and the playoff itself are challenging enough, choose the path of least resistance with what you can control. This is compounded to an even greater degree with the SEC only playing 8 conference games while the B1G plays 9.

Success in the playoff provides more benefit than any random big-time OOC matchup. In the end, no one will be impressed if Michigan misses the playoff because of a regular season loss to Texas...they'll just remember they went 9-3 and played in the Cheez-It Bowl.

College football has tremendous turnover and no preseason. Risking the situation of being a portal heavy team playing a top 30 team in week 1 is just stupid.

Great observations and article Darren. Was bummed when DJ committed to Clemson over OBD. There ain’t nothing wrong with the way he moves but DJ has a touch of the blues. The kid rock reference made me laugh, I see what you did there.