The Kamikaze Kid

UO vs BSU: Three Sips From the Half Full Glass

After ranting like most other post game Duck fans, I have decided to take a few sips from the half full glass. Here we go.

Sip #1: Best win of the year in the country so far? Looking at BSU's schedule, I don't see another loss. Going 11-1 then 12-1 with their only loss to potential playoff bound Ducks should get them the G5 playoff spot. If that's the case, the Ducks may have quietly won the most impressive game this season being the first team to beat a playoff bound team, (while dropping in the polls in the process!). This win may age very well.

Sip #2: Ducks get it done in crunch time. With the game tied, BSU got the ball back and promptly went three and out and gave the ball back a minute later giving OBD plenty of time for a game winning drive. That drive was so efficient, they needed to stall out the final minute of the game to kick the 0:00 game winner. When it mattered most both the D and O absolutely dominated and got it done. (and as stated in Sip#1, against a playoff caliber team.). Actually quite impressive. 

Sip #3: Ducks can make special plays when they needed to. It was actually quite scary how close they were to losing this game. After the fumble spree momentum was clearly with BSU and honestly they looked like the better team. One epic kick off TD later (thank you Limar!), UO had stolen back the Mo and kept control until the end (see Sip #2). That was the first time the Ducks had both a kick off and punt return TD in the same game since 2001. Nice timing.

The only teams ahead of BSU in the rankings the Ducks face are #3 tOSU and #24 Illinois. Did we just see a great game between two great teams and just not know it? Only time will tell.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 2

On 9/8/2024 at 11:06 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Did we just see a great game between two great teams and just not know it? Only time will tell.

I believe this may be Right On! 

As much as I tend to discount preeseason pollings and prognostications it should be noted that Boise State was the preseason Favorite to be the G5 representative (and rightly so with that "Heisman caliper bowling ball" of a running back), with their ONLY regular season loss being to Oregon.  Then having the first round playoff Boise St. visiting Autzen against a "#5 seed", Oregon.  Might, could, still happen and won't that be a fun buildup after what we just saw on Saturday.

Boise State, not having Ever lost to an Oregon football team, came into Autzen looking to make a statement and were Not intimidated at all.  They gave us a Game!  But...we gave one right back to a Very good football team.  This WAS NOT Idaho.

Obviously this football team still has a long way to go until they can be, correctly, viewed as a Playoff team.  But, resilient games such as was just played, getting scoring from unexpected sources (TWO, kick returns for TD's.....Ok maybe One and a half!), and an obvious improvement in several areas from week one;  I can only hope this does become a Positive over the course of the season.

Anyway.  The next two games, Oregon State and UCLA will go a long way in determining the direction and potential of this team.  After that there will be no "wiggle room" in playing expectedly as a cohesive and dangerous team.

Yes.  Only time, and games played, will tell.

GO DUCKS FOOTBALL!!!!   🦆

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for the post.

I'm not counting my Ducks eggs. Michigan State defeated Maryland on the road. Maryland has an off week before visiting Autzen. 

At 17 Michigan and 36 Wisconsin in November will not be easy; games 6 and 8 in the 8-game gauntlet. Purdue is 1-0 and had this week off to prepare for a Notre Dame team that lost to a G5 opponent. And UWho is ranked 31st this week, is 2-0, and will be fired up when they come to Autzen. Illinois was the one B1G team that defeated a ranked P4 opponent on Saturday.

With the way this team has underperformed to date, I'm taking nothing for granted. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I desperately want to stay positive after this shaky 2-0 start to the season. Thus, I'll stick with, "Hope you're right, my friend." 😉

I forgot to add Michigan on the better teams they face list but I think it will still only be two because BSU will most likely pass up Illinois at some point.

On 9/8/2024 at 11:06 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Did we just see a great game between two great teams and just not know it? Only time will tell.

I like your optimism and your excellent points.

For me, though, this was far from a great game. It was a mess in many ways, intertwined with several moments of greatness.

But, as you rightfully point out, this could very possibly turn into being a great win for OBD this season. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Great post my friend, and Sip No. 2 is one I overlooked, and it is massive.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

It was only a close game because the Ducks muffed too many opportunities. Watching it caused nervous excitement vs fun excitement. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2024 at 9:49 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

It was only a close game because the Ducks muffed too many opportunities. Watching it caused nervous excitement vs fun excitement. 

Take away half the penalties on the offensive line and take away one of the fumbles... and the Ducks win by 14 at least. 

Take away both fumbles and the Ducks win by 21. 

That second fumble was just too close to the goal line for the defense to really keep Boise out of the end zone. 

First fumble... the defense messed up big with that long touchdown run. 

But at the end of the day a big piece of how this team is supposed to function is with an offense that can take medium to long drives and punch it in for touchdowns. Then put the defense on the field and have them force a three and out and have the offense repeat. Desperation sets in for the opposing offense and the defense capitalizes on it. 

But with the offense riding the bench for so long it is asking the defense to make stop after stop ... and eventually they'll mess up and that's what happened. Could the defense have played better? Yes... but they were also not given any help from the offense for a second week in a row. 

The biggest thing that showed up at the end of the day is that the Ducks bled 6 minutes off the clock in that final drive to cap it off with a walk-off field goal to win the game. They bled the clock and put up points like they're supposed to. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Again K, thanks for the post.

Some Ducks played well, others not so much. Perhaps the third time will be The Charm for this team.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks saw a lot of good, but still some bad in the Week 2 win over the Boise State Broncos.

I only hope the cup will runneth over soon, and the sips become sweet gulps!

Those were wonderful sips, but it is hard to tell if the cup is half full or half empty at this point.

This team has the potential for kegs full of Charles's favorite IPA, let's getter done!

Unknown-1.jpeg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

For me, as far as excitement goes, it was definitely a great game! So fun to watch, to cheer, and to celebrate the win!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

For the record Boise St has beaten 6 top 10 teams in their history. Pretty good for a lil Mtn West team. Oregon could have been #7. All time record against top 10 teams is 6-3.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

winning close games early in the season is better than whupping up on patsies.  

so yeah Sip 2!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait…if you’ve taken 3 sips from the half full glass is it now 1/4 full?!!

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1