FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: 2024 Identity Found?

Every season, our Oregon Ducks football program has an identity. Whether it’s on the ground, through the air, or on defense, every team has one aspect of its game that goes above & beyond to really solidify them as a program, and not finding what that identity is virtually ends your season. In week three, Oregon found its identity—not a what, but ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Every season, our Oregon Ducks football program has an identity. Whether it’s on the ground, through the air, or on defense, every team has...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Alex, I think your suggestion of what Oregon's identity should be is right-on. Already known nationally!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

GD is treasure for sure but I believe that BIG Boy football is still won in the trenches. Imagine Oregon being known nationally for having the Top O line and D line. That would send a message to the SEC.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 9/16/2024 at 7:49 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I believe that BIG Boy football is still won in the trenches. Imagine Oregon being known nationally for having the Top O line and D line. That would send a message to the SEC.

OK, I have to admit that your selection would send a massive message.  However, it is going to take ton more games proving ourselves in that area to get that rep.  The defensive line still has more games, more to prove and they can.  DG does fit within our known profile....

Derrick Harmon Blocks a pass_Forum Only.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/16/2024 at 7:55 AM, Charles Fischer said:

OK, I have to admit that your selection would send a massive message.  However, it is going to take ton more games proving ourselves in that area to get that rep.  The defensive line still has more games, more to prove and they can.  DG does fit within our known profile....

Derrick Harmon Blocks a pass_Forum Only.jpg

We can Dream though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jordan James is a beast, love him carrying the rock.  Was pleased to see Noah show burst in Beav game, seemed lacking the first 2. Lamar also flashed well.   Question: what is the scoop with Dickey? Heard he was tearing up camp, but several others getting late game reps before him.  Slower recovery from the leg injury?

On 9/16/2024 at 8:54 AM, AllOregon said:

Question: what is the scoop with Dickey?

Good question: Dicky has been "showing potential" for a long time now, without ever actually achieving that potential. Don't know if it's an injury, or what. Also, some of the highly touted freshman, such as Elijah Rushing and Jericho Johnson, have not seen the field to my knowledge. And, what's up with Matthew Bedford? Is he game fit and in the rotation?

Maybe except for the '85 Bears of the NFL, a team's identity is the quarterback. There were a lot of great players on their teams. but, Marcus, Justin, Bo, were the identities. So was Anthony Brown. He gets more credit, and the best ones take more blame.

No doubt the other players have to play great for the team to win, big plays have to come from every player on the field and the coaches on the sideline. a good QB appreciates all the effort his teammates show game after game, but he has to command the huddle, or what passes for one now

On 9/16/2024 at 8:32 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Joel Klatt has lost any credibility he had ranking MIAmi the 3rd best team in CFB. I guess it's because the Used to be U defeated Florida. Bucks with a win over No. 27 ranked Boise has a better win than MIAmi and are ranked 10th by Klatt. 

Beating the Beavs is more impressive than U's wins over Florida, the Florida A & M Rattlers and David Letterman's alma mater. Ball State, and MIA's schedule doesn't get much tougher.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2024 at 9:04 AM, jrw said:

And, what's up with Matthew Bedford? Is he game fit and in the rotation?

Pretty sure I saw him playing.

On 9/16/2024 at 9:44 AM, AllOregon said:

Pretty sure I saw him playing.

Perhaps they slipped him in, and I did not notice, but I did not see Bedford play.

Mr. FishDuck

DG is a baller, and showed teams in front of us that he is certainly a duel threat. Always a thorn to opposing defenses. However, not sure you get DG as the answer from players as to the identity of the team. 

Identity to me is the collective perception of how a team goes about winning a game. How do the players perceive their roles, and the focus they have carrying out those roles. Trusting its leadership is certainly key, but they also must trust each other. 

DG is a large part of winning, but every QB takes on that role. Identity happens when key players stumble, and others are needed to pick them up. 

On 9/16/2024 at 10:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Perhaps they slipped him in, and I did not notice, but I did not see Bedford play.

4th quarter, after Moore’s drive for a field goal. 

On 9/16/2024 at 10:35 AM, Drake said:

DG is a baller, and showed teams in front of us that he is certainly a duel threat. Always a thorn to opposing defenses. However, not sure you get DG as the answer from players as to the identity of the team. 

Identity to me is the collective perception of how a team goes about winning a game. How do the players perceive their roles, and the focus they have carrying out those roles. Trusting its leadership is certainly key, but they also must trust each other. 

DG is a large part of winning, but every QB takes on that role. Identity happens when key players stumble, and others are needed to pick them up. 

Gabriel is a ridiculously accurate passer. He's been off target maybe a couple of times in 3 games. And a couple of his incomplete passes should have been caught. So, the key to the Ducks' success going forward hinges on the play of the offensive line...... protect Gabriel and the Ducks will be playoff bound.

As awesome as it is to beat the Beavs, they really aren't that good this year.

That said, the Ducks played their game, to the Oregon standard, and looked impressive. 

While I like DG, I think the Duck's identity is better reflected in Bryce Boetcher.

Toughness.

We made too many mistakes against a solid BSU team, but when it counted most, the 4th qtr, our guys gritted out a tough win.

They carried that over against OSU and it looked awesome. Even our O-line looked tough against what many thought was a pretty good D after they shutout SDS.

Yes, our front 4 on D can (and will) improve, but the LB's and DB's played outstanding. 

This was the first game DG looked equal to his press clippings. I hope that continues. He actually played with toughness.

We have a bye and 2 very winnable games ahead of that date with tOSU. 

(BTW, doesn't UCLA look as pathetic as their coach looked at media days?!)

We need to continue the upward trend of improvement.

It was so nice seeing DG have all day to throw...

• Thumbs Up 2

It was also nice to see Dante Moore play and not just hand off.  Thanks DL and WS for allowing him to throw the ball.

• Thumbs Up 4

I tend to agree the qb pretty much always defines a team. One thing I believe we are seeing is DG is a better long ball thrower than Nix was. 

We already see DB can play like Nix, in the first game, extremely accurate, short passes. The last two games he is starting to air it out and his yds per catch are going up, above where Nix was.

While I agree DG defines this team, I think what will define DG is his long ball threat.

Going forward, if needed, I envision the long ball breaking the backs of teams and really spreading out the field like we haven't seen since Justin was slinging it.

When a defense has defend, and be careful about the deep threat, it changes the game in ways we are just beginning to see. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2024 at 10:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I was pretty sure I saw 77 (Bedford) in game during second half. 
Participation stats link shows he has now played in one game:

GODUCKS.COM

The official 2024 Football cumulative statistics for the University of Oregon Ducks

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bedford was in at the very end of the game for kneel downs by Moore.  

• Like 1

Thanks, Alex.

And Gabe, keep on blowing that horn!

• Applause 1

On 9/16/2024 at 11:54 AM, AllOregon said:

Jordan James is a beast, love him carrying the rock.  Was pleased to see Noah show burst in Beav game, seemed lacking the first 2. Lamar also flashed well.   Question: what is the scoop with Dickey? Heard he was tearing up camp, but several others getting late game reps before him.  Slower recovery from the leg injury?

I am also very very curious about Jurrion....