30Duck

It's Gabriel or Jeanty for the Heisman

We saw Jeanty earlier in the season and I'm fine if we don't see him again. Gabriel has led the Ducks to No.2, with a win over Ohio State. Jeanty is on pace for a record breaking season, and when the regular is done, Boise State's only L will probably be to the Ducks.

That's important. If the Ducks want to get to the Playoffs and win the Natty. Gabriel's game against Ohio State will have to be the norm. No slip ups the rest of the way. It's going to take Heisman level play from Gabriel.

CLUTCHPOINTS.COM

Where do favorites Travis Hunter, Dillon Gabriel, Cam Ward and Ashton Jeanty rank in our Heisman Trophy power rankings after...

• Thumbs Up 2

Every year there is talk about a Heisman candidate needing a Heisman moment. A moment where they lift their team over their opponent and lead their team to victory. 

Gabriel had one of those games and moments... I think Gabriel's Heisman moment was pulling the ball and running for a 20-something yard touchdown against Ohio State and giving Oregon the lead back. 

Ashton Jeanty and Boise State are playing in a league that doesn't have any real competition for them. He's putting up incredible stats but in the one game against what is considered to be a good team, Oregon, Jeanty was bottled up for long portions of the game and they came up short. I guess his Heisman moment came with his long touchdown run against Oregon... but Boise didn't close that game out. 

And if Oregon and Boise State were to meet again today... I think the game gets lopsided real fast. This Oregon team is just growing at an exponential rate right now. 

The Heisman has been dominated by SEC athletes lately as well. That southern voting block for Heisman voters want to protect the SEC Heisman candidates and they vote very well together. They aren't giving it to a Mountain West kid. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I have to admit, I'm actually rooting for Jeanty.  That guy is so frickin' good, he deserves it if he approaches the single season rushing record, and it would be good for the sport if a running back from a group of 5 team won it.   

If Hunter had stayed healthy I could see him as worthy as well.  I do not see anyone other than those two as the best player in college football.

• Applause 1

At this point in the season, my vote goes to Jeanty.

He just pops, and if you watch him, he has elite breakaway speed and a Jonathan Stewart-like ability to stay on his feet no matter what hits him.

I understand the argument that he plays in a "lesser" league against "lesser" talent, but the other side of that coin is he is on one of those "lesser" teams, playing along side "lesser" talent, especially on the OL.

Imagine Jeanty behind the Ducks' OL. No offense to Jordan James, but lightening doesn't strike quicker than I would switch out James for Jeanty.

On 10/15/2024 at 11:27 AM, cartm25 said:

I understand the argument that he plays in a "lesser" league against "lesser" talent, but the other side of that coin is he is on one of those "lesser" teams, playing along side "lesser" talent, especially on the OL.

That is the argument used in basketball circles to keep Wilt Chamberlain out of te GOAT discussion. Jeanty is on pace to shatter Barry Sander's season rushing record, a magnificent achievement. But I think there is a reason quarterbacks have dominated the Heisman.

A quarterback has to do more than a running back does in a game. Gabriel's game against Ohio State called on him to produce everything, at the highest level, and he will need to match that every game for the rest of the season, and if he does, he'll deserve the Heisman. 

Cam Ward is carrying Mario on his back.  That's worth votes.

• Haha 2