Charles Fischer

Tell-Me, Tell-Me....Your BEST Husky Story!

I'll start.  A fellow in my business circles used to give me horrible grief in the 80s and the early 90s about how great Washington was, and how pathetic Oregon was.  Most years we would get crunched by the Huskies, so what could I say?

One year he even asked me, "why don't you just combine Oregon and Oregon State together and then maybe you'll have a respectable number of wins?"  Good gosh what an arrogant jerk...but I had to take it.

Then when Oregon began their run--it was great fun for me as I really rubbed salt to where it damaged our business relationship. I was the epitome of the Oregon fan they refer to--of how terrible I was due to all the years of verbal derisiveness by the Huskies and now could even the score.

In 2015....he says to be at the end of the regular season..."Charles, too bad the Ducks have dropped off.  Not in the Playoff?  Oh too bad.  No Natty Game for you...."  I responded with, "Gary, in all our years of trash-talking....if the worst you can say that is that the Ducks are not in the National Championship Game?  The fortunes of the two teams have really changed over years, haven't they?"

He had nothing to say.

Give me your best story about going to Husky Stadium, the fans, a game...anything!

giphy.gif

Ignore those Ducks!  Look at me!  I AM Relevant! Really! Look at Me!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I have cousins who are Husky fans, since the 70's. They were with me and my family in Autzen for the Mark Lee punt return,  Pretty much all I had over them was relative NFL careers of Sonny Sixkiller and Dan Fouts. We haven't been to any games together for a while, neither were there for. "The Pick" but it made for a fun phone call.

Of course there was the "12" not to be confused with the Seahawks, this was all about Ducks dominance! You'd have thought the Huskies had won a Championship after 70-21, and then the next year too.  But, its back to the way it should be now. 

At uw, 1968 game when Coach Woody kicked the game winning FG in the pouring rain.  He missed the first attempt, but uw offsides and he hit the mulligan for a 3 - 0 win.

The U of O section was in high school type bleachers behind the endzone.  Horrible seats right up until Ken nailed his kick at us!

BTW, after graduating in '72, my next game at Autzen was 10/22/1994, bleacher seats again.  This time Kenny Wheaton ran right to us.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

My only story happens just about every day. It use to be when you saw a dawg fan they acted like they owned the sidewalk, the street and half the city they were in. Now you see a dawg fan, and you may not even know they are a dawg fan, just the way I like it.

I have a pup co-worker in my office who totally believes that Washington will win. He also believes that the "dawgs" recruit better quality players on both sides of the ball. When asked why he believes this, despite the obvious signs, he brings up the Stanford game from last weekend. When asked what made him believe that prior to last week's game; he states that it is just obvious.

Fusky fans seriously have nothing of substance to brag about this season yet will look you dead in the face and tell you their team in better. This is supposed to be the school that is better academically? Clearly the fanbase is unaware of this. 

*Side Note* He also refuses to place a small wager on this weekend's game, yet wants the entire office to bet money against him and his Arizona Cardinals every Sunday.

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 12:54 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

When asked what made him believe that prior to last week's game; he states that it is just obvious.

This proves he's a Husky fan.

I was able to get a pic of my cousins prepping for the game tomorrow.

image.png.d0504644b85a4364a2a87b09a19bd7d3.png

• Haha 2

In the early 60s I was in Husky Stadium when Dave Grayson thought Don McKeta was going to step out of bounds after a catch, and instead he ran down the sideline and scored with 2 minutes left and Hussies win 7-6.  I was also there when Bob Berry was trying to throw to Larry Hill in the end zone, who was unfortunately being tackled by fans who rushed the field.  The refs declared the game over, a 21-21 tie.  

I watched on closed circuit at the old Paramount Theater as Mel Renfro got knocked out of the  game on the opening kickoff, a close Duck loss.  Like Steven A, I was in those soggy bleachers in 1968 when Woody kicked that field goal.  Joey’s dad, John Harrington, was the QB and though I was soaked to the skin and freezing cold, it was one of the greatest days of my life!

• Thumbs Up 4

I was at a friends house in NC. This was in 2018. He’s a Heels fan so we were going to watch Oregon/uw at his place and UNC/VT afterward. I told him what a big rivalry it was but he obviously didn’t really understand. That is, until CJ ran into the end zone for the game winner and I jumped off the couch and started going crazy.

The icing on the cake was when they showed Jake Browning in his “surrender cobra” pose on the bench and I threw double birds at the TV and yelled “F.U. Browning…F.U.!!!” among other bits of colorful language which described his cockiness and penchant for pointing his finger. Anyway, my buddy looks at me and says “You sound like me when we beat Duke in basketball”. It was then that he realized the seriousness of the rivalry. 

On a side note. We both share a dislike for the Beavs. Him for baseball CWS reasons and me for obvious reasons.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah, I remember it like it was yesterday. Actually better, because I don't remember yesterday all that well. In 1989 I was a rising young professional five years out of college and with a thriving career selling property/casualty insurance. Buttoned-down with a short haircut and all that. I went to the Duck/Husky game with five friends, and we all believed that the Ducks had a real shot at upsetting the homestanding Huskies this year. After all, the Ducks were on a two-game winning streak in the series, partly because of a schedule anomaly that caused us to host the game in '87, and '88.

We had Bill Musgrave under center, and he was a coach on the field, always making the best decisions. Derek Loville and Latin Berry shared the rushing load. Loville was lightning and Berry was thunder, but Berry averaged a yard more per carry than did Derek Loville. Terry Obee and Tony Hargain led a receiving corps that also included sure-handed Joe Reitzug. We called Reitzug "Human Stickum." This was a solid team, and my carload was very confident.

It was a crisp October day in Seattle and over 70,000 fans filled The Stadium My Wife Won't Look At To This Day As We Drive Through Seattle. Heeerrreee we go.

Did I mention that Bill Musgrave made wise decisions. Apparently his big brain stayed home as he was intercepted four times. On top of that, the Ducks lost three fumbles for a total of seven turnovers on the afternoon. It was so agonizingly close to a win, if we hadn't stepped on our Duck feet so many times. But, down we went 20-14. But what makes this a Husky memory isn't for the game.

On the way out of the stadium we were greeted by some Washington frat boys who wanted to heckle people in Duck attire. They stepped one way to block my party's path. Then another way to slow us down again. Finally, one of them shouted at me, "Long drive back to Eugene, you f'n loser!"

I snapped.

I don't know why. I had heard that, and worse, from other frats in other years. But something about his stupid face, and the stupid faces of his frat boys behind him popped something in me.  *At this point you need to know that I'm about 5'8" and had the physique of someone who sells insurance in an office all day. Not fat enough for "doughy", but too many maple bars for "in shape."

I went after them. All of them. All of my pent-up frustration about the game and what I thought it meant for our season went into my rush toward them. My built-up frustration from Husky fans of that era half-filling Autzen. All of it. I waded into four or five large fraternity brothers, looking to settle a score that was mostly in my own mind. But, suddenly ten hands grabbed me all at once. It was my friends not wanting the loss to culminate in my getting killed. Killed may be an over.... no, it isn't. Killed. They half-dragged and half-carried me to the car, while I shouted for them to put me down!

I remember one thing more about my rush into mortal danger. For just a moment, there was a flash of something in the eyes of the main antagonist. The one with the mouth. For just a moment he wasn't prepared for a vicious Duck fan with a fist cocked, and the look on his face was fear. Somewhere, I'll bet he remembers it too. Oh, he won't admit it. But, it was there.

Go Ducks! Or, my outer facade of normalcy might crack until the rage inside is on display for all to see. Go Ducks! Or else...

Edited by Duckpop22
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 3

When we had trouble filling Autzen during the 70s and 80s the game would have a high percentage of Husky fans. One year a Husky fan brought his yacht on a trailer and tailgated in our lots. Clever but very annoying.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:49 AM, Duckpop22 said:

For just a moment, there was a flash of something in the eyes of the main antagonist. The one with the mouth. For just a moment he wasn't prepared for a vicious Duck fan with a fist cocked, and the look on his face was fear.

I want our players to see that in the eyes of the Huskies in the beginning of the third quarter!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I've told this before, but during construction on Hwy 217 in Beaverton, someone had climbed to the top of road equipment left elevated and hung an Husky flag. It really annoyed me having to drive past it daily.

Well, someone else climbed up and spray painted on the flag, "0-12", which had been their record the previous year.

After that I couldn't wait to drive by it!

I still laugh to this day thinking about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved that my MIL was a passionate supporter of her teams.

She introduced herself to me at a party at her home in Kirkland WA by letting me know that she met her husband while they were attending UW, and that her Seahawks, Sonics, Mariners, and Huskies were superior to all other teams, especially those from my home state of Oregon. Oh, and that I wasn’t good enough for her daughter.

Fast forward to a Fall afternoon watching football at my home in Oregon City when the 9th ranked Huskies were preparing to score to beat the Ducks.  Her matter of fact statement that it was all over for the Ducks left me resigned to another evening of smug statements of how her WA teams always dominated my OR teams.  And that I still wasn’t good enough for her daughter.

Then Kenny Wheaton.  

In-laws soon moved to a retirement community in Las Vegas and lost interest in sports.  And after 32 years of marriage, I might be okay for her daughter.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2021 at 12:15 PM, Duck1984 said:

In-laws soon moved to a retirement community in Las Vegas and lost interest in sports.  And after 32 years of marriage, I might be okay for her daughter.

I will remember this and laugh forever!

Back in the late 90's a friend, his 50+ yr old dad and I we watching a gm against the uskies. His dad was a uskie fan. We were behind and then I think Pat Johnson caught the game winning TD and his dad had a real heart attack. Now that's a real fan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also was in the stadium when the "pick" happened. The roar from the crowd was the loudest I can remember ever happening.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

My memory was also from 1994 and "The Pick".  It really was "the most improbable ending to a football game" as reported by Jerry Allen whose call of the play has been immortalized. It was THE BEST on too many levels to put into words, and it truly was the vanguard moment in University of Oregon football.

• Like 1

Yep I agree.