81DuckAlum

"Saturday night's alright for....."

Washington State at No. 3 Oregon 

"While Washington State's season was overshadowed nationally by the off-field saga involving former head coach Nick Rolovich, the Cougars did something few outside their fan base probably noticed: They started to win.

Wazzu has won four straight Pac-12 games, which is tied for the longest streak in the conference with ... Oregon.

The game at Autzen Stadium is a must-win for the Ducks' College Football Playoff hopes, but it also represents a massive opportunity for the Cougars, who would take over first place in the North with a win.

With Arizona on deck and reeling Washington in the Apple Cup to close out the season, the Cougars would be in a strong position to play for the Pac-12 title.

"Really impressive, especially against the teams they have played against and the way in which they have won," Ducks coach Mario Cristobal said.

"The way they force turnovers ... playing with a lot of passion, executing at a high level because at the end of the day playing hard is great but executing and playing hard, that's what separates the really good teams from the rest of the pack. That's what they're doing."

The Cougars have forced 16 turnovers in conference play, which is four more than anyone else in the league, and seven more than Oregon.

When WSU is unranked, the Cougars are just 3-14 against a ranked Oregon team all time, but most of the players on the WSU roster have experienced success against the Ducks.

Prior to Oregon wins in 2019 and 2020, WSU ran off four straight victories against the Ducks, including when both teams were ranked in 2018.

In quarterback Jayden de Laura and running back Max Borghi, the Cougars have two of the most impactful offensive players in the conference, but understand playing at Oregon provides the biggest challenge they'll have seen all year.

"The biggest thing and why I have such high regard and respect for their program is it's not just good players," WSU acting coach Jake Dickert said.

"They're coached well, their schemes are very detailed and attack people week to week. They win the game of the line of scrimmage, their details, their discipline, they don't beat themselves, they don't just turn it over.

"You don't do what they've done and turn into the No. 3 team in the country without doing those things."

While Oregon's 31-24 overtime loss at Stanford has looked progressively worse since Oct. 2, the Ducks have improved.

After getting off to a slow start due to injury, Kayvon Thibodeux has showcased the talent over the past month that is sure to make him one of the earliest players off the board in the 2022 NFL draft. His five quarterback hurries over the past four games are nearly as many as he had over his first 24 games in a Ducks uniform (6).

The magnitude of the game can't be understated and that will continue to be the case the rest of the season for Oregon as long as it keeps winning.

It's hard to come up with a realistic scenario where it could lose again and still reach the playoff.

A loss to WSU is a worst-case scenario because, as mentioned earlier, it opens the door for the Cougars to reach the Pac-12 title game, which would take appearances in both that game in Las Vegas and the Rose Bowl off the table."

-- Kyle Bonagura

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedaykickoff111421/college-football-week-11-baylor-oklahoma-test-purdue-next-upset-bid-more

Screen Shot 11-11-21 at 09.35 AM.PNG

Edited by 81DuckAlum

'Goodbye Washington St though I never needed u at all'

Hasn't the last month done wonders for Nick Rolovich's chances for another Head Coach gig?

On 11/11/2021 at 1:18 PM, Duck 1972 said:

'Goodbye Washington St though I never needed u at all'

Yep.  My hatred for the Wash St. abominations might be even greater than my loathing for the  Dawgs.blood discussion GIF

On 11/11/2021 at 12:43 PM, Duckpop22 said:

Hasn't the last month done wonders for Nick Rolovich's chances for another Head Coach gig?

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!  You know...some things just don't work out as planned....

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Trap game of all trap games this Saturday night.

The entire season is on the line. If we lose the repercussions are huge. As was stated in the article we lose the playoff chance, we likely lose the Pac 12 north, we lose the Pac 12 Championship game and we lose the opportunity to play in a meaningful bowl game.

What a crazy game is college football where one loss can completely change your entire season. We are pretty high on the hill right now, but come Saturday evening at 11PM or so our entire outlook could be entirely different. We could go from what we have now at #3 in the playoff picture to being lucky for an invite to the Alamo Bowl, but likely it would be more like the Holiday Bowl or Las Vegas Bowl or something like that.

The point of this rant is I sure hope Cristobal gets these guys fired up in a big way. This is quite simply the biggest game of the season. They need to come out and stomp the Cougs early and often. They have been to the well too many times, if they get into a close battle this weekend I really don't like our chances.

Edited by C J

On 11/11/2021 at 2:05 PM, C J said:

The entire season is on the line

You tell it like it is, CJ. If Oregon wants to become a team that has seasons and games like this on a regular basis they have to win this one, and win it decisively.

I really doubt it a trap game. Every kid on the team knows they're ranked #3 and that if they win out will see their goal of making the CFP

come true. I could see a let down if the Ducks were 5-4 or 7-2 and weren't in the running for the CFP. This would just be another game.

Nice enough weather, back in Autzen, CFP on the line will be too much for the Cougs.

It is very simple.  Coaches and recruits came to Oregon, for just this chance.  To win a National Championship.  Now, it is the coaching and execution of plans by the players to see to that end.  You wanted it, now go earn it

We all know WSU will coug it before they ever reach the Rose Bowl or even the Pac-12 championship game. Lets take care of them Saturday night so they don't have to coug it later, come of guys!

They also need to beat the dawgs. The dawgs and cougs season is made or lost on that game. Focus on the big game cougs, you deserve to win at Mountlake this year! We all know how the cougs roll, a few upsets, save it cougs, and take care of it Ducks!

The scary thing about the cougs is they are so unpredictable. Lose their coach they win, play at home they lose, play a tough team they win, play away and they win, there is no real rhyme or reason for how they play when you try and analyze it. Maybe John can break down the coug tendencies, but they do scare me a bit. Seen it too many times.

On 11/11/2021 at 2:05 PM, C J said:

This is quite simply the biggest game of the season (so far...). 

There, fixed it for you!! LOL!!  I hope our guys are focused on the Holy Grail, and that they will put the cougs away in short order!  We have more big games to come!!

Go Ducks!!

Edited by olcodgerduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

A reminder of who WSU has played.

USC - L

Utah - L

Cal - W

OSU - W

Stanford - W

ASU - W

Oregon State has been good at home but dubious when away this season. ASU can be good but hasn't looked that good this year on the whole. They have beaten up a few decent teams but are far from being a good team.

I'm not saying I am sleeping on WSU... but there is a lot of hype for this WSU team when they have really drawn one of the easier Pac-12 schedules in the conference. And... WSU still has Arizona on the schedule.

No doubt the Cougs won’t Rolo over, but they’ll get KT and NS shots Saturday night.