Charles Fischer

The Gut-Check Time Against Washington State

When Oregon was robbed of the Anthony Brown touchdown and the defense held the Cougars to three points...and then it was 24-17 with 8:23 left. You and I know that it was a-game-to-lose at that point, but the offense ground out another touchdown drive.

Tied up with Fresno State, down 14-0 to UCLA, and down 9-3 in Husky Stadium has made them mentally tougher, and it showed up at that crucial juncture.  Thoughts?

CFB Playoff Show Week 2_ESPN Video.jpg

Sorry, but it has been seven years so I like to stare at it often...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

In the least the Ducks are scrappers, that's for sure.

The iron is getting sharper.

• Thanks 1

Very good win. Got the cover, which is nice. Utah went through the motions but won at AZ. Setting up the big game Saturday in SLC. With 16, 17, + 19 losing Utah should move up a couple of spots.

Up top, just about everyone held serve but for Oklahoma. OK taking an L certainly does not hurt the Ducks. 1L Pac-12 champ Oregon has by far the best OOC win against any 12-1 B12 champ. And Texas is back, wayyyyyyyyyyyy back. Hope OK and UT enjoy that SEC $.

OH ST did not have a gimme vs Purdue but won convincingly. Enough to jump the Ducks? I hope not but last week MI above MI ST showed that head to head will not be the exclusive deciding factor. With MI and MI ST both winning OH ST's remaining SOS is looking mighty strong. In addition to MI + MI ST, Ohio State will face a top 25 Iowa or Wisconsin in the B1G champ game. OH ST beating MI ST, MI and winning the B1G champ game will help Oregon's SOS but OH ST, if it wins its next 3 will have a better SOS and 'body of work' that will the Ducks.

The ACC is out of the PO race with the B12 and the Pac on thin ice. Cincy and Notre Dame could sneak into the top 4? But I think Week 3 rankings look the same as 2 at the top: UGA, Bama, OR, Ohio State.

Nice win by OR ST but Stanford does truly stink. Terrible L for Oregon. UW lost; is all lost for Jimmy Lake?

On 11/14/2021 at 7:13 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Enough to jump the Ducks? I hope not but last week

I can see them jumping Oh. St. to No.3 and sliding Oregon to No. 4.

I believe Cristobal teams have that in their DNA. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Good win.  They handled their business.

This game was over in the first quarter though.  They let another team off the mat this year.  

So far,

Ohio State

Cal

Stanford

UCLA

UW

WSU

It's a bad habit.  It's not a fluke.  It is a pattern that must be corrected. 

In all the games above, the team had drives in which the offense was in position to seal the deal by putting points on the board.

They've found creative ways in falling short.

The one area of improvement Cristobal teams must focus on is this flawed habit.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2021 at 10:19 AM, 30Duck said:

I can see them jumping Oh. St. to No.3 and sliding Oregon to No. 4.

Assuming OR beats Utah and OH ST beats MI ST next Saturday I think OR stays at 3 this week but probably drops to 4 the following week?

Root hard for SMU to beat Cincy this week. It would also be nice to see SMU and Houston out of this week's top 25 but with Ls at the bottom of the rankings this week I think 1 or both will be ranked. Utah should move up a spot or 2. I will not be surprised if the Ducks are the underdog in SLC? FPI gives OR a 37.7% chance to win in SLC.

On 11/14/2021 at 7:13 AM, Jon Joseph said:

And Texas is back, wayyyyyyyyyyyy back. Hope OK and UT enjoy that SEC $.

5u58bw.jpg

• Haha 3

On 11/14/2021 at 9:01 AM, Mike West said:

In all the games above, the team had drives in which the offense was in position to seal the deal by putting points on the board.

They've found creative ways in falling short.

One of the most creative ways the Ducks found to fall short last night was to have the officiating crew literally rob them of a touchdown, and the Pac 12 has proven time and time again that bad officiating can even stand in a review. I am weary of game changing bad call after game changing bad call.

I'm with Charles on this one. Oregon went into halftime facing a major gut check moment. WSU had serious momentum, and  their offense was carving up Oregon's defense. Instead of panicking, adjustments were made and Oregon secured the win.

The games played in November are always the hardest games to win. Attrition has taken many of the best players off of the table, and teams that seemed mediocre earlier in the season have discovered who they are and how to win. Slowly but surely, through the mistakes and successes in each one of their games, Oregon is discovering who they are and I like what I see when I look at their trajectory.

Edited by latracey
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of the ROTTEN officiating, I vaguely remember (maybe someone can help me out), I think,  one of our receivers catching a pass, making some good initial yardage, then getting roll-tackled where the Duck ROLLED OVER the tackler's body, and then spinning onto his feet and CONTINUED TO RUN because he knew he had NEVER TOUCHED THE GROUND! (And the replay verified it.) But the ref - only  a few yards away - BLEW HIS DAMN WHISTLE - as the receiver spun out of the tackle! 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

MC likes to sharpen iron, but I - and probably the CPO committee - prefer stainless steel.

• Haha 1

It was JJ. That call and an unbelievable no holding calls on the Cougs plus the Brown TD. It happens every game. What can be done??? It's so embarrassing and pissing me off to the max.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Think KT put it best with his comments regarding the D’s show of resilience, and how they train for sudden change — it’s all about the next play. 1-0 Baby!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2021 at 9:53 AM, latracey said:

One of the most creative ways the Ducks found to fall short last night was to have the officiating crew literally rob them of a touchdown, and the Pac 12 has proven time and time again that bad officiating can even stand in a review. I am weary of game changing bad call after game changing bad call.

I'm with Charles on this one. Oregon went into halftime facing a major gut check moment. WSU had serious momentum, and  their offense was carving up Oregon's defense. Instead of panicking, adjustments were made and Oregon secured the win.

The games played in November are always the hardest games to win. Attrition has taken many of the best players off of the table, and teams that seemed mediocre earlier in the season have discovered who they are and how to win. Slowly but surely, through the mistakes and successes in each one of their games, Oregon is discovering who they are and I like what I see when I look at their trajectory.

While I agree the adjustments and execution of those adjustments were very good, this game was OVER if the Ducks execute in the second quarter.  

Travis Dye, of all players fumbled.  On the drive to ice the game for all intense purposes.  It is absolutely essential this team learns to extend 14 point leads when they are in position to do so.

Every game I mentioned earlier were similar situations.  Almost all of them resulted in turnovers- which are momentum changes. 

Your job Mr. Phelps is to ice the game early.  

This comment will self destruct in fifteen seconds.  

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2021 at 10:12 AM, Duck 1972 said:

It was JJ. That call and an unbelievable no holding calls on the Cougs plus the Brown TD. It happens every game. What can be done??? It's so embarrassing and pissing me off to the max.

THAT is an excellent point Duck 1972! On almost every single play where they showed KT#5 doing his thing, he is obviously being held by whomever is trying to block him. It was CRAZY and should have resulted in at least one holding call.

If I were MC, I would be submitting massive film to whomever is in charge of officiating. I would also be in the ear of the officials before the Utah game to make sure they are aware of it.

Edited by latracey

On 11/14/2021 at 9:53 AM, latracey said:

One of the most creative ways the Ducks found to fall short last night was to have the officiating crew literally rob them of a touchdown, and the Pac 12 has proven time and time again that bad officiating can even stand in a review.

one has to wonder if officiating comes up in the cfp committee discussions around oregon. i mean, how could it not re: the stanford loss?

• Thumbs Up 1

Re: my posting on JJ's spin out of a tackle that a ref ruined - I also recall the commentators did NOT said a word about it, even with the replay, even with my screaming at the TV. They are often as irritating as the refs.

Edited by toketeeman
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 11/14/2021 at 10:30 AM, latracey said:

On almost every single play where they showed KT#5 doing his thing, he is obviously being held by whomever is trying to block him

Anyone else notice how many times he was also dealing with hands to the face?

• Thumbs Up 4

On 11/14/2021 at 1:28 PM, Mike West said:

While I agree the adjustments and execution of those adjustments were very good, this game was OVER if the Ducks execute in the second quarter.  

Travis Dye, of all players fumbled.  On the drive to ice the game for all intense purposes.  It is absolutely essential this team learns to extend 14 point leads when they are in position to do so.

Every game I mentioned earlier were similar situations.  Almost all of them resulted in turnovers- which are momentum changes. 

Your job Mr. Phelps is to ice the game early.  

This comment will self destruct in fifteen seconds.  

The MI team like Mario usually didn't seal the deal until very late in the game? But Oregon did cover the 13.5.

Or pushed at 14 (depending on when you put the money down).

lol