30Duck

CFP No.3 Didn't Reveal Much

Oregon is still at No. 3, Ohio State is No. 4. Chairman Barta says that Oregon is staying ahead of Ohio State. "Ohio State is "Playing Terrific offense", but because Oregon beat Ohio State, "In the Shoe, that's where the vote came out".

In other news, Joey Galloway said that should Alabama lose close to Georgia, :"That would prove that Alabama is the second best team in the country if they play Georgia close at the end because nobody has been able to stay close to them."

Galloway said that?  At this point of the season a 2nd loss should bump you out of the top four.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Later in the show an ESPN reporter Heather Dinich told us that after talking to members of the Playoff committee that, "she would not be surprised to see Ohio State jump Oregon later due to strength of schedule and it could happen as soon as this week with a win at Michigan State for the Buckeyes."

It also appeared as a foregone conclusion among the ESPN crew that Oregon will not win all three remaining games, and Herbie "likes" Utah.

CFB Playoff Show Week 2_ESPN Video.jpg

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

It's nice to still be in the top 3, and it's important that the Ducks are rated there because they truly do control their own destiny. Win and you're in.

None of the ESPN "experts" are giving Oregon a chance (sound familiar?). Oregon's chances at making the CFP are now at 5%. I'm a lot more comfortable with our chances when they fly in the face of what Herbie thinks.

That said, this weekend's games will have a huge bearing on the standings, as will every weekend from here through championship weekend. A lot of strange things happen in college football this time of the year. Strap in because this is where the ride gets wild!

Edited by latracey

Don't ya just love CFB.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty easy to make that prediction and not look stupid if it doesn't come true.  Not many teams can beat another team twice in one season

especially when one of the games is away and the other is not a home game. UT is no slouch. It would be a tough wager to bet on the Ducks

winning out. I'm not sure but IMO only super Dye hard Duck fans would feel 100% confident they can run the table. 

I maybe wrong but I feel very confident. I don't believe anyone has stopped our running game even with us losing CJ.

Rooting for Michigan State to beat Ohio State.  I rather the Ducks face Michigan State or Cincy than Georgia or Ohio State in the first round.  Ohio State has since changed its DC.  So don't expect the Ducks to score on them three times, running essentially the same play again. 

I am banking on Bama losing to Georgia or possibly Auburn which should move the Ducks up to 2nd spot, after finishing 12-1.

However, if Michigan State were to pull off the upset, could Michigan State potentially jump Oregon?  They will have a stronger SOS than the Ducks, beating two top 10 teams.

Edited by DuckIt

On 11/16/2021 at 6:28 PM, DuckIt said:

However, if Michigan State were to pull off the upset, could Michigan State potentially jump Oregon?  They will have a stronger SOS than the Ducks, beating two top 10 teams.

Your question points out what is so maddening about the CFP. If conference Champions were automatically part of a "Playoff" all the who beat who wouldn't matter.

It's probably just me but the so called experts (talking heads) always seem to doubt the Ducks ...

Do they really know anything more than the group on this site? Hec no. Is their a scenario where they follow the Ducks as closely as some on this site? Not a chance. They just spout personal opinions like we do.

Fact: Utah will be a great challenge this Saturday and in the P12 Championship. Beat em Saturday and chances are good we play them again. That game will be a greater challenge.

Fact: The Beavers will give us one hec of a game. Most times they do, however they don't travel well. It's a short bus ride but they will be traveling. But they will bring it.

Now can anyone give me the reasons why Utah and Oregon State can handle what the Ducks will bring to each game? Will either team field 16-5 stars like tOSU did in the shoe?

Nope.....

As always only this Duck team can beat this Duck team. Limit the penalties and turnovers and good luck Utes and Beavers. Anything can happen on the field but this Duck team eats chaos like it's a nutritional supplement.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 6:45 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

t's probably just me but the so called experts (talking heads) always seem to doubt the Ducks ...

Do they really know anything more than the group on this site?

It certainly is not just you. The ESPNers have to express their doubts about Oregon to keep the noise moving. If Rece said, "Oregon is probably just going to win their next 3 games and lock up their place in the Playoff" the discussion would be over. With Georgia it's okay to say "They're In."

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/16/2021 at 4:36 PM, 30Duck said:

Your question points out what is so maddening about the CFP. If conference Champions were automatically part of a "Playoff" all the who beat who wouldn't matter.

It would be more ideal if Ohio State loses to Michigan than Michigan State.  Although, I feel like Michigan State has the better chance of defeating Ohio State, with Walker.

Edited by DuckIt

30Duck solid point and observation.

ESPN is probably butt sore that they didn't have the Oregon -OSU telecast. It was a ratings bonanza.

Positive thoughts that this crazy, wild Duck team can prove them wrong. Get in this year, with the 2 deep roster packed with freshman,  covid freshmen and redshirt freshmen, and we could become a invitational main stay.

On 11/16/2021 at 9:28 PM, DuckIt said:

Rooting for Michigan State to beat Ohio State.  I rather the Ducks face Michigan State or Cincy than Georgia or Ohio State in the first round.  Ohio State has since changed its DC.  So don't expect the Ducks to score on them three times, running essentially the same play again. 

I am banking on Bama losing to Georgia or possibly Auburn which should move the Ducks up to 2nd spot, after finishing 12-1.

Sorry, but the Ducks REALLY NEED OH ST to win out and win the B!G. I do not see Bama losing vs ARK or at Auburn. A 12-1 Oregon needs the win over 12-1 Ohio State to trump a 2 L Bama and a 13-0 Cincy,. OH ST has 7 MI ST, at 6 MI and likely 15 Wisconsin on the schedule. If the Bucks win these 3 then Oregon's W in Columbus will be the final 4 golden ticket.

The CT just gave Bama a lift having MS at 12 and MS ST at 24. Plus only dropping A+M to 15. And the upcoming game vs 7-3, # 21 Arkansas, also helps the Bana cause, 

Big boost for Cincy with the CT ranking Houston at 24.  Cincy will play a top 25 team in the AAC champ game.

Ducks have at #23 Utah. The Ducks win and the Ducks will win in SLC, means 2 games left vs NR OR ST and a NR Utah in the champ game. Oregon really needs OR ST to defeat ASU and hopefully move up into the Week 4 top 25 CT rankings.

Cincy's current SOS, 101. But ESPN REALLY WANTS Cincy and not Oregon in the PO.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2021 at 6:04 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Sorry, but the Ducks REALLY NEED OH ST to win out and win the B!G. I do not see Bama losing vs ARK or at Auburn. A 12-1 Oregon needs the win over 12-1 Ohio State to trump a 2 L Bama and a 13-0 Cincy,. OH ST has 7 MI ST, at 6 MI and likely 15 Wisconsin on the schedule. If the Bucks win these 3 then Oregon's W in Columbus will be the final 4 golden ticket.

Jon, I appreciate your insight, but what happened to the Ducks are in, if they win out?  Are you saying that Oregon's ticket being punched to the playoffs, hinges on Ohio State winning out as well?

Edited by DuckIt

On 11/16/2021 at 8:04 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Oregon really needs OR ST to defeat ASU and hopefully move up into the Week 4 top 25 CT rankings.

Cincy's current SOS, 101. But ESPN REALLY WANTS Cincy and not Oregon in the PO.

And, the CT knows what ESPN wants.

On 11/16/2021 at 11:13 PM, DuckIt said:

Jon, I appreciate your insight, but what happened to the Ducks are in, if they win out?  Are you saying that our ticket being punched to the playoffs, hinges on Ohio State winning out as well?

What I am saying my friend is that with the lose at Stanford the Oregon golden ticket is a 12-1 Ohio State. THIS is the only W Oregon has to hang its PO hat on. Oregon will win Saturday in SLC and that drops Utah from the top 25. The Ducks really need OR ST to truck ASU on Saturday and move into the top 25.

Without OH ST going 12-1, Oregon is looking at a Baylor/TCU 2014 Committee face plant,

Oregon has 2 CT members going for it. The CU AD and a female professor from ASU. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 11/16/2021 at 11:16 PM, 30Duck said:

And, the CT knows what ESPN wants.

30, the Invitational is owned and operated by Disney/ESPN. What Mickey wants Mickey gets?

I fear the long term effect of the L on The Farm. I do think the Ducks go 3-0 to conclude the season. But we best hope for a 12-1 OH ST B1G champ to lift the listing Pac-12 boat?  A 12-1 Ohio State gives the bona fides that the Ducks need.

I expected Oregon to stay above OH ST this week. But next week? OH ST could have a W over #7 with OR having a win over #23? And then tOSU plays at 6 Michigan and a champ game vs ##15 Wisconsin. Ducks play OR ST and win Saturday, vs a NR Utah in the champ game.

NO Ducks fan should want OH ST to do anything but run the table. The W over the Buckeyes is the only meaningful W that OR has and likely will have.

On 11/16/2021 at 8:34 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But next week? OH ST could have a W over #7 with OR having a win over #23? And then tOSU plays at 6 Michigan and a champ game vs ##15 Wisconsin. Ducks play OR ST and win Saturday, vs a NR Utah in the champ game.

No doubt on any of that.

Without the win at Ohio State the Ducks would not even be in the playoff discussion. The loss to Stanford was a terrible setback. Stanford is flat out bad this year and losing that game — a game the Ducks should have dominated — was a head scratcher. 

Jon is right. I think the ONLY hope for Oregon to make the playoff hinges on Ohio State winning out. If they lose, both the Buckeyes and the Ducks can kiss the playoff goodbye. Even if the Ducks win out, they’ll drop out of the top 4.

On 11/16/2021 at 8:24 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Later in the show an ESPN reporter Heather Dinich told us that after talking to members of the Playoff committee that, "she would not be surprised to see Ohio State jump Oregon later due to strength of schedule and it could happen as soon as this week with a win at Michigan State for the Buckeyes."

It also appeared as a foregone conclusion among the ESPN crew that Oregon will not win all three remaining games, and Herbie "likes" Utah.

CFB Playoff Show Week 2_ESPN Video.jpg

Great thoughts. Michigan State plays at Ohio State Saturday with OH ST playing at Michigan the following Saturday. Michigan is at Maryland this week.

ESPN wants a PO of Bama, UGA, OH ST and 'little guy' Cincy. ESPN broadcasts of Bearcats games are a 4 hour promotional video.

Joey Galloway? Have seen this 'expert's' record on his Virtual Lock picks? It's joke. Herbie is all show and no go. Badly prepared for the telecasts with Fowler.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:15 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Joey Galloway? Have seen this 'expert's' record on his Virtual Lock picks? It's joke. Herbie is all show and no go. Badly prepared for the telecasts with Fowler.

Can't forget Desmond. David Pollack actually seems to know what's going on, of course he isn't on as much as are the others.

Call me a Homer but I cannot compare Cincinnati's  AAC schedule to any P12 or Big 12 teams schedule.

Arizona, Stanford and the BIG 12 bottom feeders would WIN many of the games on the bearcats schedule.

I will give them the ND victory. Do you feel that Cincinnati could win out if they closed with Oklahoma, Iowa State and Oklahoma State. Or Utah, Oregon, ASU. Not a chance.

This weak butt invitational puppet committee is cheapening the week in week out conference schedules. Not to mention the rivalries and bad blood games.

Colin is right 23rd for Cincinnati....

On 11/17/2021 at 9:08 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Colin is right 23rd for Cincinnati....

Let's also note that Boise State, during its run of really good years Never got any love from ESPN, Of course lil old Boise State played in Idaho, on blue turf. Cincy plays in Ohio.  

On 11/16/2021 at 6:45 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

As always only this Duck team can beat this Duck team. 

This.   Only AB can beat AB.   And only Mario can beat Mario...  Fingers crossed and focus on one game at a time!

• Thumbs Up 1

My guess, for what little it is worth: 

1. Georgia  - 13-0

2. Ohio State - 12-1

3. Cincinnati - 13-0

4, Oregon 12-1. Best win among the competitors and also the worst loss. OH ST's ending SOS will be far better than Oregon's. IMO in the final rankings 13-0 Cincy also jumps the Ducks.

It works politically for the CT and ESPN to keep the Ducks in but show respect for the G5. It also sets up a Cotton Bowl money-ball, civil war matchup between little guy Cincy and big, bad Ohio State. A big game on New Year's Eve to keep folks home and watching CFB. Can David beat Goliath? Oregon vs Georgia in the Orange Bowl will bring in many the viewer from coast to coast.

CINCY will have 2 top 25 wins including the season's 2nd best win over a ND team ranked as high as 5 or 6? The Stanford loss, especially after ND demolishes Stanford, will look worse and worse. Oregon will have one top 25 win, the best win in the country. But in the final rankings, Oregon will be the only Pac-12 team, with the possible exception of an ASU team that could finish 9-3,  that will be ranked ranked in the top 25. And if ASU is ranked, Oregon will still be 0-0 versus ASU.

I would be very happy if my guess happens.