30Duck

is this Ridiculous or is Football Really, Really Bad in the West?

On 11/18/2021 at 1:39 PM, Haywarduck said:

LOL, but seriously, most of these will probably do better than their last guy.   They will all look legit with a 9.5M/Yr salary, that's for sure.

On 11/18/2021 at 1:39 PM, Haywarduck said:

Maybe Gerry Faust is still available, although his post high school job might rule him too qualified to lead the huskies.

• Haha 2

The REALLY smart ones want no part of this...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

To the question of is the west really that bad? Yes and No... we have great high school talent it just isn't staying out west these days. Getting more of that talent to stay home is vital. Winning more non-conference games is really important to increase the Pac-12's look. 

Last year in 2020 the Pac-12 played by far the fewest games. We really didn't have a season last year and that has REALLY hurt the Pac-12 in the opening games this season. Some more than others. I think we will get a better idea as to how bad the conference is in bowl season. I am not terribly hopeful that we make a major improvement but I am hoping the Pac-12 wins half their bowl games... 

This year I say no question. I've watched enough games of teams across the country and I cannot believe how bad the Pac12 teams look. Very dissappointed. 

Yes, it is ridiculous. Especially the Kellen Moore prediction. He’s ripe for a HC job in the NFL. There’s no way he’s going to uw. Personally, I think the Cowboys should fire McCarthy after the season and hire Kellen, but Jerry doesn’t listen to me. He never has.

Furthermore, I think football is a dying game on the West Coast as a whole. I think you’re going to see it removed from a lot of school districts and become more of a club sport. Fewer and fewer kids out West are playing the game due to the stigma of injuries. West Coast parents have always been more progressive while folks from the Midwest and the South still have an old school, blue collar mindset. Football is a huge part of their culture and some communities live and die with their HS football teams. In fact, I’ve met quite a few kids from the South who played HS football strictly because their parents made them. It was done more to teach them discipline and hard work.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2021 at 6:55 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

It was done more to teach them discipline and hard work.

And that’s not a bad thing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2021 at 4:34 PM, Confused said:

It’s really bad.  We lose to mountain west teams, we lost to Montana, BYU beat half our conference.   It’s really the PAC 1  and a half.  

Love it. But more like Oregon plus none. Until SC comes back to life?

I think the last of the conference realignment dominoes have yet to fall?  This has been a chaotic season, I don't see the chaos stopping?

On 11/18/2021 at 5:44 PM, Steven A said:

Maybe Gerry Faust is still available, although his post high school job might rule him too qualified to lead the huskies.

I believe Gerry has moved on to coaching in That Big House In The Sky? That place where student-athletes get free tuition, room and board but no, at least over the table, more. And they are thankful for simply 'this.'  Hard to believe?

Where the players are teammates who put team above self. Portal?

"If I can't beat 'you' out why should I start? No one forced me to come here and compete against you. I chose to come and compete against the best, including you. Why shouldn't I stay, support my team and teammates and keep on competing?" 

A place where you can still grab a player by the face mask. But no cuss words. Please remember where you are now coaching?

'What's that Coach? You want inside info on the point spread?

Get over here Peter! "

I'm sorry,  but your soft spot for former football coaches is trying my patience!' 

"Sorry myself, Boss. Now, why don't you drop and give me 20!'

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2021 at 5:55 PM, David Marsh said:

To the question of is the west really that bad? Yes and No... we have great high school talent it just isn't staying out west these days. Getting more of that talent to stay home is vital. Winning more non-conference games is really important to increase the Pac-12's look. 

Last year in 2020 the Pac-12 played by far the fewest games. We really didn't have a season last year and that has REALLY hurt the Pac-12 in the opening games this season. Some more than others. I think we will get a better idea as to how bad the conference is in bowl season. I am not terribly hopeful that we make a major improvement but I am hoping the Pac-12 wins half their bowl games... 

A great take!  The Pac-12 across the board in 2021, had the most returning players on its respective rosters.

NAILED IT! The BCS and the BCS x 2 took the game from regional to national and further monetized CFB. Before the BCS the SEC was not 'all that.' HS studs stayed and played n the west. Routinely the Pac8/10/12 and the Big 10 put the most guys into the pros. Heisman Trophies awarded to Pac guys was the norm and not the exception.

But who wouldn't swap the Rose Bowl for the Peach Bowl even-steven? Right?

Jimmies and Joes. The recruiting rankings tell a sad story. Guys to the pros? Compared to the SEC? Trips to the PO? Compared to the SEC?

Coaching? 3 coaches fired in-season. The AZ and CU HC hires? Look back a decade, to a decade and a half ago, and compare the coaches then with what the conference has now? Leach: #25 at Mississippi State. Tucker: #7 at Michigan State.

You cannot have Mountain West budgets for football and compete in the big time. You cannot have administrators and fans who do not care about CFB and compete in the big time. You cannot play after dark on a pretend network and compete in the big time. Recruits know that they will be seem on ACC, B1G and SEC networks. The Pac-12 Network?

I am BULLISH on Oregon and BEARISH on the Pac-12 conference.