Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FishDuck Article

10 Takes on “The Assault in Salt Lake”

My takeaway from the mistake by the great salt lake was it was more shooting ourselves in the foot than it was Utah being such a better team.

How many drives did we kill because of dumb false start penalties, or the QB rolling and tripping over his own feet. How many points, and more important how much momentum, did we squander with all these errors. Dropped passes, bad throws, penalties, pocket collapsing sacks....the list could go on.

Then you add in the poor coaching decisions with managing the clock.

I think we have the team to beat them in a rematch, but I just don't see us improving on the fundamentals of the game. We have continually made these bonehead mistakes all season long. I hope that is just a sign of a young team.

Edited by C J

On 11/24/2021 at 5:07 PM, C J said:

My takeaway from the mistake by the great salt lake was it was more shooting ourselves in the foot than it was Utah being such a better team.

How many drives did we kill because of dumb false start penalties, or the QB rolling and tripping over his own feet. How many points, and more important how much momentum, did we squander with all these errors. Dropped passes, bad throws, penalties, pocket collapsing sacks....the list could go on.

Then you add in the poor coaching decisions with managing the clock.

I think we have the team to beat them in a rematch, but I just don't see us improving on the fundamentals of the game. We have continually made these bonehead mistakes all season long. I hope that is just a sign of a young team.

Thats a sign of poor discipline AND the lack of reps, one might even say the lack of mental AND physical training. In the Utah game I think we looked worn out.

On 11/24/2021 at 5:15 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Thats a sign of poor discipline AND the lack of reps, one might even say the lack of mental AND physical training. In the Utah game I think we looked worn out.

Check, check, check and check. I agree with all those statements. 

The worn out look led many to wonder about elevation. Elevation changes as drastic as those between Eugene and Salt Lake City are an issue, but it was more than just that.

On 11/24/2021 at 5:29 PM, C J said:

Check, check, check and check. I agree with all those statements. 

The worn out look led many to wonder about elevation. Elevation changes as drastic as those between Eugene and Salt Lake City are an issue, but it was more than just that.

That def could have been a big part. Bellotti would go to those places 1 to 2 days early to acclimate. Im thinking at this time of the season too hard at practices too???

The injuries worrisome too.

Edited by 1Ducker1