Steven A

Per ESPN, Riley Scoop "This will be the Mecca of College Football."

Oregon Ducks winning the NCG would be great for football.

so would

UCLA

Notre Dame 

Penn ST

Tennessee

ASU

Ole Miss

Michigan
Auburn

Oregon St 

Texas

Purdue

VT

Baylor

ETC ETC ETC

well you guys get my point.

I hope USC falls on their @$$

• Thumbs Up 2

"We plan on building the best roster in the country, and inside that locker room, the best culture in the country," Riley said. "[The Coliseum] is gonna be full. This will be the Mecca of college football."

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/29/2021 at 8:17 PM, Charles Fischer said:

"We plan on building the best roster in the country, and inside that locker room, the best culture in the country," Riley said. "[The Coliseum] is gonna be full. This will be the Mecca of college football."

The competition for the entertainment dollar in Los Angeles is fierce. The coliseum was rarely filled back in the Pete Carroll heydays. It will be interesting to see if Riley can achieve his dream of filling the coliseum. The current capacity is 77,500.

It actually would be cool if he manages to do it, but I have my doubts. He's going to need to get it renovated if he wants a place suitable to be called "The Mecca" of college football. Right now it's kind of run down, and it's located in a rather scary neighborhood.

Edited by latracey

On 11/29/2021 at 8:17 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Oh please.  It's still LA.

Show us all those winning playoff rings, Lincoln.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/29/2021 at 8:32 PM, latracey said:

He's going to need to get it renovated if he wants a place suitable to be called "The Mecca" of college football. Right now it's kind of run down, and it's located in a rather scary neighborhood.

They finished a $315 million renovation in 2019.  https://footballstadiumdigest.com/2019/08/los-angeles-memorial-coliseum-renovations-unveiled/  

• Thumbs Up 1

Bring it on. Iron toughens Iron. Relish competition, don't fear it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also until it happens it's still a Dream

On 11/29/2021 at 9:11 PM, McDuck said:

I was there in 2015. I wasn't aware they renovated it. My bad.

Maybe he's brilliant, or brilliant in hiring brilliance, but I'm seeing an immature tone flowing out of his public personality (and his strange relationship with Rattler, btw) . . . if he were coming to Oregon, I would be nervous. Hey, it's just me.

They haven't won with a new stadium, and they are still located in Compton. 

Also Pete Carroll left after the program was out of control and sanctioned. Riley will, as all of the coaches who coach the spoiled enabled student athletes sc draws, have a hard time controlling the culture at sc.

Coaching in Oklahoma isn't the same as coaching in LA. He may thrive, but he may also have a hard time controlling the culture at sc.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 5:39 AM, Haywarduck said:

Coaching in Oklahoma isn't the same as coaching in LA. He may thrive, but he may also have a hard time controlling the culture at sc.

My thoughts exactly.  Roughly 70% of OU's roster is from Texas or Oklahoma where football is a way of life.  Completely different story for kids from the LA area.

Also it is reported that Oklahoma was blindsided by his departure, that they had no idea he was negotiating with USC.  To me that is sinking into Slick Willie territory.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/29/2021 at 9:11 PM, McDuck said:

The renovation in 2019 brought the capacity from 92,000 to 77,000. Expect the next renovation to take seating from 77,000 to 50,000 to meet Riley's stated goal of filling the stadium.

The previous stadium renovation added cupholders, expect tissue dispensers next time. This will help with the emotional rollercoaster ride the sc fans will be experiencing going forward.

• Haha 3

On 11/29/2021 at 10:07 PM, latracey said:

was there in 2015. I wasn't aware they renovated it. My bad.

It seems that rather than your "bad", it must not have been much of a renovation.

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2021 at 6:31 AM, McDuck said:

My thoughts exactly.  Roughly 70% of OU's roster is from Texas or Oklahoma where football is a way of life.  Completely different story for kids from the LA area.

Also it is reported that Oklahoma was blindsided by his departure, that they had no idea he was negotiating with USC.  To me that is sinking into Slick Willie territory.

Great point about football being a way of life. Cristobal has stated he looks for student athletes who can't live without football. The program in Compton is full of players who feel like football can't live without them.

The culture change will be massive to create what he wants. He is used to having kids who come ready made for his type of football. There will be lots of head winds the decision he made in what sounds like a short time, haven't accounted for. 

I mean the guy has played twice at the Rose Bowl, he is 1-1 on the west coast. The weather must have been pretty good, and he fell into the LA spell when he went there. Comparing Oklahoma and California is an easy choice on the surface.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Riley wants USC and the Coliseum to be" The Mecca" of college football, then great. Madison Square Garden and the Knicks have long been called "The Mecca" of basketball. The Knicks haven't won a championship since Walt Frazier and Willis Reed were playing in 1973, Or how about "America's Team" the Dallas Cowboys, no Super Bowl win for them since 1995.

Coaches all talk optimistically about how things are going to be great. USC, LA, the hype is in overdrive. and as Haywarduck has observed, expect the Trojans to lead the Pre-season Parade.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will be afraid when I see sc players never on the ground without somebody helping them up. The amazing thing I continually see with this program is players jumping up and down promoting themselves as players are left struggling to get up.

The culture of LA is look at me. This is a major reason players and coaches are drawn to the program. I tend to think Riley may just be another person drawn to the program for the publicity without knowing the cost it will come with.

I do think the publicity, like we see, will come, the success, not too sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the meantime he's raking in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$. He won't be hurting for money and if he fails he can always get another HC job

somewhere less glamorous. Everyone knows USC is where coaches go to die so the expectations are lower and it's not like he's taking over

for Saban. Looks like a win win to me. 

Everybody from Riley to ESPN is having an embarrassing sugar high over this move. Let's see where things stand after all the talk has been exhausted and real life sets in. He could do very well, or not, but "Mecca?" Give me a break, say a whole lot of other schools.

The thing that gets me about all of these new hires is the incredible amount of money being thrown at college coaches. Tucker at MSU gets a 95 million 10 year deal, which has become the new ball park figure. Kelly is reported to be getting a 100 million 10 year deal at LSU on top of the cost of buying out his ND contract.

Riley is getting a 110 million 10 year deal from USC on top of buying out his Oklahoma contract, buying his two homes in Norman, Oklahoma, buying him a new 6 million dollar home in Los Angeles, and 24/7 personal use of a private jet. And that's only what is known of his deal. It had to be a sweet deal as Oklahoma was in the process of sweeting Riley's deal to something on the order of Tucker's deal at MSU.

Anyone who thinks money is a barrier is not paying attention. If Miami really and truly wants Cristobal as their next head coach, I'm sure they will be prepared to pay something in the ball park of the new "standard" described above. If Oregon really wants to keep Cristobal, they should be thinking of renumeration along the same lines. The crazy part is, given who some of Oregon's donors are, don't think for a second that they couldn't do it.

Edited by latracey

On 11/30/2021 at 8:39 AM, latracey said:

buying his two homes in Norman, Oklahoma

How much do double-wides go for?

• Haha 5

On 11/29/2021 at 11:03 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Oregon Ducks winning the NCG would be great for football.

so would

UCLA

Notre Dame 

Penn ST

Tennessee

ASU

Ole Miss

Michigan
Auburn

Oregon St 

Texas

Purdue

VT

Baylor

ETC ETC ETC

well you guys get my point.

I hope USC falls on their @$$

4 of the above drop sugar on the Pac-12; the others don't. A Natty and final 4 appearances gives Commish GK a lot more to bargain with. GK had to be jumping for joy with the Riley hire news. A national contender in LA helps close the financial gap between the Pac-12 and the B1G/SEC.

On 11/30/2021 at 7:58 AM, Haywarduck said:

The culture of LA is look at me. This is a major reason players and coaches are drawn to the program. I tend to think Riley may just be another person drawn to the program for the publicity without knowing the cost it will come with.

Be wary of the word you choose to define what you want to be.  Mecca is the one place all Muslims attempt to see once in their lives, but it is also only Muslims who are allowed to go there.  Not sure Riley understands the nature of the ‘true believers’ attracted by his invitation.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:49 AM, jrw said:

How much do double-wides go for?

The word on the street is that USC paid 500,000 dollars over market value for each of Lincoln Riley's Norman, Oklahoma homes. That's one way to sweeten a deal. 

Forget what your thoughts are about money. It is no barrier to the people that happen to have most of it.