Charles Fischer

This Coaching Search Might Go Until Sunday....

There appear to be rumors of a couple of names for Head Coach that nobody knows about, (not a surprise to me and good!) and it might not be until Sunday before any announcement is made.

I pass this along simply to relieve tension, and let you know this is going to go on longer.  Thus we might as well take a breath and get on with life because I would be stunned if there was an announcement today, and a little surprised if one was made tomorrow.  And THANKS to the good people who are posting articles, and even rumors in good faith.

We are all in this together my FishDuck Friends...

giphy.gif

We gotta have a little fun as we go....

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

I'm not surprised, Oregon is in an incredibly difficult position timing-wise.  It's hard enough to land the "right" candidate for a HC but trying to do it within a week is really tough, especially given the caliber coach that most people expect Oregon should be able to pull in...I would think most candidates wouldn't be able to change their professional and private lives on a dime like that very easily.

Look I've seen in a number of places that mullens needs to make the announcement today to salvage the recruiting class. 1. I honestly think the safe hire will happen quicker than a hire than a good hire. the longer this rolls on the more i think it isn't one of the hires i perceive as safe and 2. This class wasn't going to be salvaged no matter what. Their were and always will be recruits that are tied to the coach and not the institution.(people think of this as bad and it does have its downsides but frankly i think of this as a normal nature, I have followed bosses who have left for different companies in the past because i enjoy working for them and that is worth it's weight.)

As a final note, no matter what happened, even if cristobal stayed oregon was guaranteed to have a number of transfers. currently speaking has 86 scholarshipped players(the limit is 85 but partially extended due to covid). when you calculate seniors, current transfers, and nfl draftee's. Oregon maybe has 10-12 scholarships open... we currently have 12 players commited. 

The order of importance moving forward should be 1. get the right hire. 2. assemble the best staff, staff needs to balance recruiting, coaching and scheme. 3. establish a quality relationship with the current team. 4. recruiting 

Expect a drop in our recruiting this year and that's okay, we will staff have the best roster in the pac next year and hopefully a coach that either 1. doesn't interfere with the offense or 2. is actually good with offensive play design/calling.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/10/2021 at 12:24 PM, UtahDuck said:

The order of importance moving forward should be 1. get the right hire...

I love how you think, and tomorrow morning yours-truly will have an article right up that alley...

Mr. FishDuck

Get the RIGHT hire . . . and the de-committed will then come flocking back to Oregon! Mullens, YOU GOT THIS.

Edited by toketeeman
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 12:49 PM, toketeeman said:

Get the RIGHT hire . . . and the de-committed will then come flocking back to Oregon!

And the right hire will bring his own recruits too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 1:49 PM, toketeeman said:

Get the RIGHT hire . . . and the de-committed will then come flocking back to Oregon! Mullens, YOU GOT THIS.

Not necessarily true, Kelvin Banks just won't come to oregon, He was sold on cristobal. That's okay. We have the two commits from Bama, they would likely need a coach who has been recruiting them this entire time to consider coming to oregon.(probably won't happen. 

your best bets on a good hire pulling in a return is Winston from oregon and Jahlil florence from san diego. So even if it is kiffin who most fans consider the splash you probably wont get all of them back. That's okay the importance is the right hire.

On 12/10/2021 at 12:55 PM, UtahDuck said:

That's okay the importance is the right hire.

100% correct (of course, not sure how you can be less than 100% when you are correct)

One of my co-workers is an Oregon alum.  We work together pretty often and have beome pretty friendly in a short amount of time.

Anyhow, apprpos the initial post, the last thing he said to me before he took off for a 3-day weekend was somewhat in jest and somewhat forlorn: hopefully Oregon lands a coach by the end of this weekend.  So, on his behalf, I thank you for the update and will be sure to pass along lest he carry any anxiety into what is a celebratory 3-day period (he was promoted yesterday 🙂 )

Everyone agrees that "the right hire" is the most important thing.

The problem is that we all seem to disagree on who the right hire is.

Edited by jrw
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2021 at 1:22 PM, jrw said:

And we'll ALL agree he was the right choice after Oregon wins the Natty 😀

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 1:22 PM, jrw said:

Everyone agrees that "the right hire" is the most important thing.

Thats ok since we have NO say in the matter. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I understand the angst as the recruiting class seems to be quickly disappearing. I do feel bad for the team. One month ago they had a chance for an appearance in the playoff. Today, the HC, OC, DC, and key support is heading out the door. Totally dead in the water at the moment.

Since the hiring process didn’t include a phone call to me for my opinion, I will support whomever is hired. 

Be glad when we have a captain to get this ship back on course.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/10/2021 at 12:24 PM, UtahDuck said:

As a final note, no matter what happened, even if cristobal stayed oregon was guaranteed to have a number of transfers. currently speaking has 86 scholarshipped players(the limit is 85 but partially extended due to covid). when you calculate seniors, current transfers, and nfl draftee's. Oregon maybe has 10-12 scholarships open... we currently have 12 players commited.

I guess what was alarming is seeing some using the transfer portal and seeing the recruits pulling away.  Such bad timing MC leaving having no time to hold on to the recruits before signing day.  Plus we are losing so many of the coaches that could have helped kept this recruiting class together.  Frustrating.

Will need one heck of a coaching staff that can recruit like MC did, but better Xs and Os with good game management.  According to what Canzano it seems Rob has a wider group of donors involved in the next hiring. Here is the article:

Conferences to talk about the early signing period.  I guess it really wasn't a good idea to change from February to December.

On 12/10/2021 at 2:31 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Thats ok since we have NO say in the matter. 

I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure Mullens checks out my comments before making any moves or decisions.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

If it is the Chipper, best wait until mid-January when his buy out goes to $0.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/10/2021 at 3:48 PM, Desert Duck said:

I'm pretty sure Mullens checks out my comments before making any moves or decisions.

I'm not so sure Mullens has a whole lot of say in this decision.

Now if you had written Penny & Phil...........................

• Haha 1