FishDuck Article

Mike Bellotti: Why Not a One-Year Interim Coach?

We actually have two discussion points, my FishDuck friends, as I ponder out loud about (1) might it be best to have a one-year interim football coach for the Ducks, and (2) who might that person be? Tons of points to consider in both directions, and of course I have a candidate who would be perfect for the job as ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

When I read the headline, I thought ridiculous. But after reading the article, Its not such a bad idea.At this point it will be really tough to retain the flock of recruits we have. Your point of a bad hire outlasting a bad recruiting year is spot on. Adding to that a bad hire could lead to multiple bad recruiting years.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:38 AM, florida duck said:

Your point of a bad hire outlasting a bad recruiting year is spot on.

Thanks. If we get a splash hire like Dan Lanning--then go with him or another that the fans will rally around and has high probability of doing well.  But if we are left with the "B" list of Oregon Retreads...I believe an Interim Coach would be best for Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

My prediction of Mike Bellotti and then Matt Rhule could come true. I also don't think the idea of having Bellotti onboard for Lanning to get Oregonized is a bad idea either. Alabama waited until after the New Year to hire Saban. They knew he had to stay on to coach Miami. If we truly want Rhule the Bellotti idea is brilliant.

I think you make a great point with any coach really hitting the ground running at this late point. They will trip over the recruiting and then the bowl game. A new coach then will struggle with how things are done at Oregon. 

Most well run companies have a President, CEO and then a Chairman of the board. Phil Knight was chairman of the board until about 5 years ago. Why football programs don't have a chairman of the board position, when you have a Bellotti type figure, is beyond me. 

It might turn off some coaches, but a coach like Lanning may be very grateful for somebody to show him around. Having support staff, facilities is a critical component to a successful, happy coach. If Bellotti, and even Brooks could be on the Board to help, just advisors it might be just what we need or the perfect transitionary coaching situation. 

Is Mullens on this, probably not, that's right, all we know is he is calling people, and the rumor mill. Somebody from FishDuck get Mullens on the phone, or get Canzano on the phone so we can speak to Mullens, or however it works, now!

In this life you don’t stand still.  You’re either going forward or backward.  Right now this program is doing the latter at warp speed.  Bringing in the past is not likely to reverse that direction and probably would accelerate it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Interesting idea, Charles. Definitely thinking outside the box.  I would be concerned about a couple of potential downsides. First, in addition to losing potential new recruits, I would think transfers out could also increase, especially with the younger players. Not so much that they wouldn't like Bellotti, but because they would be uncertain as to their future coaches. Second, and I think this may be a more significant issue, what about assistant coaches?

I think It's a big assumption for Helfrich and Aliotti to give up their current gigs for a one-year stint here. Even if they did, what about the other 7 or so coaches? Would a good coach come here for a one-year contract knowing that a new head-coach would want to bring in his own staff?

Now if Bellotti expressed an interest in coaching for 4-5 years, I'm all in!

• Thumbs Up 2

If the Lanning deal falls through I'd say this is the way to go. What ever damage to one recruiting class and portal exodus happens, it would be worth it to get that top dog hire locked in the next year.

This idea rests on the assumption that Oregon could make a home-run hire after waiting a year. I don't know why that would be true.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally I would love Bellotti to come back for 3 years or so. Develop in house once again.

• Haha 1

Why is that funny? These other coaches will stick for maybe a year or 2, once their offered more they will be out the door.

I think most good recruits are looking for stability.

On 12/11/2021 at 8:19 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Why is that funny? These other coaches will stick for maybe a year or 2, once their offered more they will be out the door.

I think most good recruits are looking for stability.

Most great recruits are looking for exposure and getting into the League. Oregon is in the middle of the Pac-12 over the past 5 years when it comes to players getting drafted. That could rise dramatically with the level of recruiting the last few years. Bellotti doesn't get it done.

Out of the 5 big conference championship games, Pac 12 viewership was 4th and it was the only one played that day. A fraction of other conferences. Bellotti will not bring national interest to the Ducks or the Pac.

The idea of Bellotti as coach for 3 years is a death penalty in recruiting and exposure for Oregon. Just the two facts I pointed out puts Oregon at a disadvantage.  The time is now to hire a magnanimous coach that can attract views and put kids into the league. I prefer Kiffin but there are others that fit also. Bellotti is not one of them. 

On 12/11/2021 at 8:39 AM, Log Haulin said:

Most good recruits are looking for exposure and getting into the League. Oregon is in the middle of the Pac-12 over the past 5 years when it comes to players getting drafted. That could rise dramatically with the level of recruiting the last few years. Bellotti doesn't get it done.

Out of the 5 big conference championship games, Pac 12 viewership was 4th and it was the only one played that day. A fraction of other conferences. Bellotti will not bring national interest to the Ducks or the Pac.

The idea of Bellotti as coach for 3 years is a death penalty in recruiting and exposure for Oregon. Just the two facts I pointed out puts Oregon at a disadvantage.  The time is now to hire a magnanimous coach that can attract views and put kids into the league. I prefer Kiffin but there are others that fit also. Bellotti is not one of them. 

You are probably right But I dont think Lanning is our man any more than Bellotti. He has NO experience as a HEAD coach. Thats just not good enough IMO.

Bellotti would make a great consultant to a new head coach.  

As the only Oregon HC that retired to become AD, then retired from college football, he is the ultimate Duck football ambassador.

Unless Uncle Phil gives up his dream of a championship, the next Duck coaching staff will be a home run swing.  Bellotti as a head coach again would only be a bunt.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 9:09 AM, Duck1984 said:

Bellotti would make a great consultant to a new head coach.  

As the only Oregon HC that retired to become AD, then retired from college football, he is the ultimate Duck football ambassador.

Unless Uncle Phil gives up his dream of a championship, the next Duck coaching staff will be a home run swing.  Bellotti as a head coach again would only be a bunt.

If he hires someone in the less than 4 mill range I think hes decided that hes tired of throwing $$ at the program. Maybe thats why Mullens has included other boosters into the decision?

Nah I'd rather have Chip or Wilcox than Bellotti. However, I'm really hoping Oregon is a good enough program to hire someone decent. At some point you have to blame Mullens if no coach wants to go to Oregon. I don't think stalling another year will help. It's an interesting idea though. My problem is I think Mullens needs to be more aggressive and this will allow him to procrastinate.

Edited by duck023

Bellottii as AD was perfect.

He maintained continuity in the program, and let Chip do the x’s and o’s while he took on the PR role of a head coach.  Maybe there is something to that.

there is something to the corporate structure where the board sets the strategic vision/governing philosophy (ideally) and handles the political relations...while the CEO executes the vision.  Maybe more like Church Elders-head pastor, they set doctrine...the pastor makes it happen.  

A Patriarch .. don’t call it that.  

Ironically, this is where Cristobal was best suited.   Hands off the play calling, but a life coach, mentor and Brand setter.  5 Star mom’s wanted him to adopt their babies.  The Anti-Neuwiesel.

Bellottii would be exceptional football elder..

Edited by Marshall Lucky
  • Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone know where MB resides today and what he is doing other than playing golf?

On 12/11/2021 at 11:51 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Does anyone know where MB resides today and what he is doing other than playing golf?

He lives in Bend

Hadn't thought about a one year interim coach/coaching staff until your article.   And I think it actually has some credence.   It might allow for time to find that jewel in the rough.

Trying to find somebody this quickly (a couple of weeks?) just to try and get aligned for signing day, does seem like a rush job.   And given the pool of supposed candidates, limits a thorough indepth background search.  

IMHO:  Regardless of whom gets hired, it will/should be somebody new and probably not without a lot of head coaching experience (if any).   You have to start somewhere and take a chance.   Okay this is just IMHO... someone newer, fresher, with some juice.

We took a chance on a guy named Chip Kelly once (I don't want him back) and he blew everyone's minds away when he was here.    I'm not interested in any old retreads looking for a paycheck... I'd be looking for somebody with the will to win, a will to establish a long term program, willing to recruit (it's been proven you can recruit to Oregon) and actually be tough enough to do it (and not just pay it lip service).

Great article Charles, really one to ponder.

Thanks, and it looks like we will not need an interim coach after all!

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/11/2021 at 11:57 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

He lives in Bend

As once, did I. I'm guessing he resides in the golf mecca Pronghorn?

Edited by Steven A
typo