Warrenton

Lousy Hire

giphy2.gif.2900f034c401df69f0fcdb925d7a39a1.gifDMVWr2wV4AIuX01.jpg.7cedf77772d4cc4c0f799d7ccd06de76.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:44 PM, Warrenton said:

Good post. I'm sure there will also be some more guys jump into the portal after this like Noah.

Noah already said he was jazzed about Lansing, in fact he almost went to play for him instead of OR.

I get it, you don’t like the pick, but it has been made.  As fans, our job is to support the team.  Yes, the sky could fall and the Ducks never win another game, but I believe we’re gonna do fine.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/11/2021 at 10:39 PM, betme said:

I think the devil is in the coordinators budget and hires.

Not sure. MC couldn't beat Shaw or Whittingham on the field so we bring in a kid in his 30s with no coaching experience and think he'll be able to do it. I like all the optimism around here but I think it's a long shot.

We'll find out soon.

On 12/11/2021 at 8:36 PM, Desert Duck said:

Well... 3 out of our 5 last head coaches have been failures.

Huh? Let’s recap.

5. Bellotti - in college football Hall of Fame. Enough said.

4. Chip -  4 years and 4 BCS bowls including wins in Rose & Fiesta, and close call appearance in Natty

3. Helfrich - Rose Bowl win, a Heisman (yes it was his recruit not Chip’s), an appearance in Natty.  After 33 wins in 1st 3 years,  flamed out in 4th.  Disappointment, yes.  But a Failure, seems too harsh?  Being honest, wouldn’t a big majority of teams sign up for those 4 years of results.

2. Willie - epic failure

1. Mario - Rose Bowl win, 2 Pac12 titles. 35-12 record. The 4-3 in Shortened 2020 was damaged by Pac12 covid approach and opt outs of many defensive studs.

Failure? No. And Miami  gave him $80M due to his successes.  Underachieved? Absolutely.  

Those 5 coaches had 241 wins in 26.5 seasons (counting 2020 as a half) and only  2 of those were losing seasons.

I think you are over-rotating on the word failure.

Edited by AllOregon
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

UGA fan here. you guys got a good one.
1) Excellent recruiter. Very charismatic and prior to this year was a lead on many top kids. Knew he’d be leaving so we took him off our top targets. He also recruited the west coast for UGA. We have a good bit of talent from CA. 

2) Anyone saying it wasn’t his defense doesn’t follow UGA closely. He calls all plays. Kirby is a defensive guy but Lanning ran that unit

3) Coaching Connections. Our staff is currently stacked and there is a good chance he poaches one or two. Look for Nick Marshall a GA from TAMU to follow him. Was our best non staff recruiter until A&M poached him. Could see a bright future there. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 12/11/2021 at 11:49 PM, Warrenton said:

Sorry, just not seeing it. USC hires a coach who took his team to the CFP three times. We hire a rookie with only three years experience as an assistant and never been in charge of anything.

Just call me concerned.

He’s been to more championship games than Lincoln 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/11/2021 at 8:49 PM, Warrenton said:

Sorry, just not seeing it. USC hires a coach who took his team to the CFP three times. We hire a rookie with only three years experience as an assistant and never been in charge of anything.

Just call me concerned.

You're right. I'm so glad we passed on Brandon Staley five years ago . . .

• Haha 2

On 12/11/2021 at 11:36 PM, Desert Duck said:

Well... 3 out of our 5 last head coaches have been failures. So I'm not a believer in your, "Head coaching experience doesn't matter" take. 

It depends on your definition of failure. 4 of the last 5 coaches won the PAC and won NY6 bowl games. Willie won 7 games despit losing Herbert for much of the season. 

If you’re talking about their post-Oregon jobs then all of them are failures as they were all fired. Except Belotti, who only lasted 9 months as AD. We’ll see about Mario, but history doesn’t favor him.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 11:32 PM, Desert Duck said:

And Jim Aiken.

I’m talking about the modern era of football when helmets weren’t made of animal skins.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:57 AM, AllOregon said:

Huh? Let’s recap.

4. Chip -  4 years and 4 BCS bowls including wins in Rose & Fiesta, and close call appearance in Natty

3. Helfrich - Rose Bowl win, a Heisman (yes it was his recruit not Chip’s), an appearance in Natty.  After 33 wins in 1st 3 years,  flamed out in 4th.  Disappointment, yes.  But a Failure, seems too harsh?  Being honest, wouldn’t a big majority of teams sign up for those 4 years of results.

2. Willie - epic failure

1. Mario - Rose Bowl win, 2 Pac12 titles. 35-12 record. The 4-3 in Shortened 2020 was damaged by Pac12 covid approach and opt outs of many defensive studs.

Failure? No. And Miami  gave him $80M due to his successes.  Underachieved? Absolutely.  

Those 5 coaches had 241 wins in 26.5 seasons (counting 2020 as a half) and only  2 of those were losing seasons.

Helfrich won on Chip's coattails and recruits. Having some kid named Mariota didn't hurt him either. After the training wheels were removed, he fell hard and exited with a 4-8 record. And somewhere in there he forgot to recruit a QB as well... and we ended up having to go the "free-agency" route just to find someone. 

Willie... as you said, epic failure. 

MC - definitely better. I'm willing to concede regarding MC. 

So, 2 out of 5 were failures. 

On 12/12/2021 at 1:57 AM, AllOregon said:

Huh? Let’s recap.

2. Willie - epic failure

Good comments. I'll concedd regarding MC.

But, IMHO,, Helfrich won on Chip's coattails and recruits. Having some kid named Mariota didn't hurt him either. After the training wheels were removed, he fell hard and exited with a 4-8 record. And somewhere in there he forgot to recruit a QB as well... and we ended up having to go the "free-agency" route just to find someone. 

Willie... Well, he was just a disaster.

On 12/12/2021 at 8:22 AM, Desert Duck said:

Good comments. I'll concedd regarding MC.

But, IMHO,, Helfrich won on Chip's coattails and recruits. Having some kid named Mariota didn't hurt him either. After the training wheels were removed, he fell hard and exited with a 4-8 record. And somewhere in there he forgot to recruit a QB as well... and we ended up having to go the "free-agency" route just to find someone. 

Willie... Well, he was just a disaster.

Nice halftime adjustments. MC should hire you as a consultant.  Well done

• Thumbs Up 1