Logger29

The Type of Player OBD Miss

Ages ago I read a quote by I believe Frank Broyles at Arkansas. It went something like:

“Every team needs a couple of players willing to try to screw their bellybutton into the turf to win.”

For the last couple of seasons I’ve been looking at all the 4s and 5s Mario and staff recruited and hoping for the emergence of a Brady Breeze, Jon Boyett or any member of the”Gang Green.”

With the exception of Noah Sewell, none have stepped up. 

Maybe I’m just too “Old School.” Maybe it’s asking too much of today’s players to risk injury and a pro career to give that old 110%.

The current NCAA ad proclaims “only 2% of college athletes go on to play professional sports” this suggests maybe it’s not just about recruiting and coaching up talent. Maybe recruiting and coaching heart is part of the winning equation?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

I'd say Travis Dye makes the list for this season. 

In 2019 I'd say it was Herbert and Troy Dye. 

Those Dye brothers are just brutal competitors... They also like winning in Seattle. Troy played with a broken thumb and Travis had potentially his best game in an Oregon uniform. 

• Thumbs Up 7

On 12/20/2021 at 12:40 PM, Logger29 said:

Ages ago I read a quote by I believe Frank Broyles at Arkansas. It went something like:

“Every team needs a couple of players willing to try to screw their bellybutton into the turf to win.”

For the last couple of seasons I’ve been looking at all the 4s and 5s Mario and staff recruited and hoping for the emergence of a Brady Breeze, Jon Boyett or any member of the”Gang Green.”

With the exception of Noah Sewell, none have stepped up. 

Maybe I’m just too “Old School.” Maybe it’s asking too much of today’s players to risk injury and a pro career to give that old 110%.

The current NCAA ad proclaims “only 2% of college athletes go on to play professional sports” this suggests maybe it’s not just about recruiting and coaching up talent. Maybe recruiting and coaching heart is part of the winning equation?

I think this is not just a big problem at Oregon but for the rest of the PAC as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting take, and I agree teams need the walk-ons, and grinders to make it all work. Too many kids who have been told they are the best their whole lives which leads to not so great results. 

I would put Bassa in this classification, but he is out of position. Maybe we should look at whom K. Whittingham is recruiting more often?

He almost had the whole Sewell family, if he had just recruited Gabriel he might have taken them all.

I hope, as a grinder, Lanning can better see this type of attribute, and make sure it flourishes within the program.

The Dye's should have the grinder trophy named after them!

• Thumbs Up 1

Your point is well taken. Sewell played like a wrecking ball with passion. Flowe gave us a short glimpse before his injury. Bassa was a beast .....

The defense had so many players injured that continuity and trust was not established. Many played above their pay grade so I don't want it to appear that  I am criticizing the young rookies. 

But the passion, the hair on fire after the game in the shoe was not present.

Many players played their hearts out, all season on both sides of the ball....

But the schemes were just plain vanilla. How excited can you get as a receiver blocking on 50-60 plays and rarely touching the ball.

How excited can you get on defense when we gave away the middle of the field. 3rd down conversions we are the DC, not the players.

I hope next year these fine young men have coaches that they will run thru a wall for.

It didn't seem like they wanted to after the shoe.

Maybe recruiting and coaching heart is part of the winning equation?

Boy....for someone returning to the forum...you sure know how to throw a touchdown to my heart in your first post in for so long.  Such a great post, and makes me long for the over-achievers that made Oregon special.

A voice like yours is good for this community, so WELCOME!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

or any member of the”Gang Green.”

Jeremy Asher, Rich Ruhl, and on the offensive side, Cristin McLemore, and a Ducks QB who definitely doesn't get enough credit, Danny O'Neil. The Pick is rightly about Kenny Wheaton. But the 98 yard drive, orchestrated by O'Neil is one of the most important in Oregon football.

• Thumbs Up 2

Recruiting sites are over rated. 😀.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/20/2021 at 1:36 PM, Flyin Vee said:

Recruiting sites are over rated

They certainly are, the ***** are for the fans, as useless as McSham's player evals are for the NFL Draft. Jeff Maehl wasn't a 5* but he certainly played like one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As I remember, Jed Weaver and Wesley Mallard were both walk-ons. They both had a lot of heart, were great players for the Ducks, and then went on and played in the pros.

Ryan Walk and Nate H were both walk ons who grinded this year.

In fact I believe without the injury to Walk who was dominating the center position and the line was working like a well oiled machine (250 + yards rushing 3 straight games) the outcome of the season may have been different.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, 30Duck said:

They certainly are, the ***** are for the fans, as useless as McSham's player evals are for the NFL Draft. Jeff Maehl wasn't a 5* but he certainly played like one. 

But, again, I remind everyone of the Blue Chip ratio. No team without a majority of 4 + 5* on its roster won the BCS or won a Playoff title.

Miss on some ? Of course. But for the most part recruiting rankings get it right. The quibble I have today is that 4 and 5* guys coming out of the portal are not included in recruiting calculations. Bama's top tackler and top receiver this season came from the portal. Came from Tennessee and Ohio State.

Oregon with Nix, just signed a 5* recruit and will get no recruiting bump for Nix and his rating.

You are not going to recruit a bunch of 3 star guys and coach them up to be champions.

I know WR Metchie is missing from the roster and 2 Cincy guys are All American. Anyone think that Saban will take an L vs Cincy?

On 12/20/2021 at 4:14 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But, again, I remind everyone of the Blue Chip ratio. No team without a majority of 4 + 5* on its roster won the BCS or won a Playoff title.

Right. I can't think of the guy's name, but the host of the radio show I was listening to a couple of years ago was touting this guy as a genius. He came on and through the interview let us in on his secret: "The Teams with the most talent and the best coaching will win the most games" Brilliant!

The talent that Alabama assembles on a regular basis, to go with Saban's coaching is why they are a dynasty. But all 5*'s aren't even the same. I don't have a clear example in football right now, but the 5* star Big on Gonzaga, Chet Holmgren is a 10* compared to Oregon's 5*, Nathan Bittle. Bittle has talent and could develop into a fantastic player, but Holmgren is an NBA Lottery pick today. 

Injury played a big part in Oregon's season. They still won 10 games but it very easily could have been 5. MC dodged a bullet and cashed out with Miami. He knows it and every fan that watched knows it. The offense was one dimensional and the Defense was out of position all year. I think a lot of these kids played their hearts out. If you are playing behind the play all game it has to take it's toll. Miami is about to find out.

On 12/20/2021 at 3:24 PM, 30Duck said:

The MAIL MAN- always delivered!