Haywarduck

You Don't Have To Like The Guy, But This Was A Class Move!

Saban speaking to about the journey rather than just the destination. It isn't just about the outcome of one game which defines an individual.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

It was nice also to see Saban smiling when he was congratulating Kirby Smart after the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a bit of a monumental year for Saban... and not in a good way. 

Entering the season Saban had never lost to one of his previous assistant coaches. 

By year's end he has lost to former assistants of his twice, Jimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart. 

Not a knock on Saban but an interesting shift in power... 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/11/2022 at 10:42 AM, Annie said:

Saban smiling when he was congratulating Kirby Smart after the game.

That was nice. Of course Saban wanted another championship. But I think he was genuinely happy that his friend Kirby got one.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/11/2022 at 10:47 AM, David Marsh said:

What I find really amazing about Saban/Alabama is how they keep going and going. Saban is the Everready Rabbit. I don't think he liked it all when Dabo was being seen as the new King.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:47 PM, David Marsh said:

Entering the season Saban had never lost to one of his previous assistant coaches. 

By year's end he has lost to former assistants of his twice, Jimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart. 

This was a very young Bama team. Without Metchie and then Williams going down early, Bama did not have the fire power to challenge the UGA D backs,  I expect Bama to win the west again next season. Smart won last night but he also lost badly to Saban in the SEC champ game.

Hats off to UGA but I think Bama will be right back in the mix next season. The Heisman winner returns and LB Alexander is back. A+M plays at Bama.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2022 at 10:47 AM, David Marsh said:

Great point, and while the end isn't here, I think we can see it from here.

Saban has had a pretty amazing run, but his tree of coaches is catching up to him, as stated. The next branch is already hard at work, and may be the one to finally see it all come to an end. 

His legacy is good and strong. I think we saw a little window into how he wants to see it end.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, Haywarduck said:

Saban speaking to about the journey rather than just the destination. It isn't just about the outcome of one game which defines an individual.

It’s a major part of what makes the great ones great: they don’t  lose focus on the big picture, and they never sweat the small stuff.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 11:42 AM, Annie said:

It was nice also to see Saban smiling when he was congratulating Kirby Smart after the game.

I think Saban figured that if he didn't win it, at least they kept it in the SEC family, and among Alabama 'relatives.'

• Thumbs Up 1

Alabama will be right back in the mix.

Wonder if Georgia will be a one and done like LSU was, or if they have got something going that will make them a multi championship team?

Saban is no dummy and he knows how important it is for college football to have a new champion every once and a while. Not saying he didnt want to win just that he has respect for competition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Saban had a massive rebuilding year, lost his top two receivers to injury and if you are going to lose a NC....losing to your protégé' is the best.  Nick is happy for Kirby, and happy for the future of his team.  He will get one more and be the all-time greatest...

Mr. FishDuck

Guest DUCKBILL

Saban has had a great run and I expect that run to continue. The idea that Saban is a superior coach is a little tough for me to swallow. When he was in the NFL he was not that successful when he had to compete with other teams that had similar or superior talent. My opinion on what made Saban great is TALENT. His team is a majority of 4 and 5 stars. Georgia has recruited great classes for 4 years. Look out for Texas A&M. Talent plus good coaching gets you the natty. Great coaching alone, no.

Saban understands it takes a lot of showing up every day.  Letting your guard down or not having your head in the game affects the team.  This makes me respect him so much more.

Two star players, taking responsibility for their parts on letting down the team.  Bad timing for a major injury but Bama, has three if not four deep, that would, could start for most FBS schools.  Georgia came with the Heat and kept the pressure on.