Charles Fischer

ESPN: Bo Nix is a Top Instant Impact Newcomer?

I plan to do some study of his prior performances in the off-season, but this did surprise me. (And he has two years of eligibility?)

ESPN tabs Oregon QB Bo Nix as Ducks' Top 'Instant-Impact Newcomer' by Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire

USATSI_13733274.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Mr. FishDuck

Maybe after the Spring Game .... "THAT'S when we'll know the answer to THAT question" As the great Joe Paterno said.  

Bo has always had all the tools to be great. Greatness tends to come out in the right situation. Maybe this is his time and place. If not, there are a few young guys who will be there to prove it is their time and place. Let the competition begin! Right now Oregon potentially has three terrific QB's. That's an elite position to be in. There are a bunch of top programs out there that would love to have Oregon's QB room right now.

• Like 1

WAZZU's new QB from Incarnate Word (IW) Cameron Ward, also made this list. WSU came up with enough NIL $ to not only sign Ward but also to bring along Ward's OC at IC as the new WSU OC.

SEE?

Bo Nix is incredibly talented! And I’ve said that I think bringing him in was savvy roster management. If his performance is the floor — we will be fine with the weapons around him.

I also know that comparisons are imperfect, especially when they’re in different conferences. But I’m just leaving these two things here for folks to chew on. It’s not inconceivable that we see another year of flashes of brilliance sprinkled with moments of head scratching inconsistency.

2E26B2EA-FCC2-408A-9910-CF180D6DC4E0.jpeg

D96754F2-8EE3-4A67-B4EB-8AD5E1202157.jpeg

1 difference is he had 3 coaching changes in his first 3 years. Now back with his 1st coach. Let alone playing with lesser players against a tougher league. Also less of an injury history.

Smells like a rose to me.

Edited by Duck 1972
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't have the same ESPN college stats for Joe Burrow, but he languished at tOSU bthen transferred to LSU and had a ~132 qb rating the year before he led them to a National Championship with a 212 rating. Not yet saying Nix is the next Burrow,  but the kid was a 5☆ and sometimes it's the right system, fit and people that believe in you

On 1/14/2022 at 1:10 PM, WolfDuck said:

Bo Nix is incredibly talented! And I’ve said that I think bringing him in was savvy roster management. If his performance is the floor — we will be fine with the weapons around him.

I also know that comparisons are imperfect, especially when they’re in different conferences. But I’m just leaving these two things here for folks to chew on. It’s not inconceivable that we see another year of flashes of brilliance sprinkled with moments of head scratching inconsistency.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/14/2022 at 10:01 AM, OhioDuck said:

Right now Oregon potentially has three terrific QB's. That's an elite position to be in. There are a bunch of top programs out there that would love to have Oregon's QB room right now.

Remember it was the THIRD string QB at tOSU that won the B1G in his first start, won the national semi-final game in his second start, and beat OREGON in the national title game in his 3rd start.

• Thumbs Up 1

This may sound kind of weird, but when comparing them and having seen both play a good bit, I'll take Nix at his worst over Brown at his worst any time. That is to say, Bo has run into problems when he has tried to do too much, Brown was awful at times because he didn't try to do enough and the entire offense floundered at those times.

We saw that AB could indeed throw the ball down field in the second half against OK, I wondered out loud where that had been all season. Maybe it was lack of confidence or just coaching discouraging it. I don't know, but as a fan it was frustrating. Bo could be the opposite, when he errs it tends to be in being a little reckless.

I'll take a great talent that can be a little reckless any time. I'm looking forward to the competition, I think he'll be pressed by the young guys.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:10 PM, WolfDuck said:

The level of competition in the ACC vs the SEC? Not close. AB never started a game at BC vs a top 25 team that he won. Among other top 25 teams, Nix has a W vs Bama.

• Thumbs Up 2

I apologize to all of you if this pic. has already been posted, particularly since it may rip open a few scabs from from the 2011 BCS game.  

To those that haven't seen this, that youngster at the bottom left of the photo is supposedly Bo Nix.  I just find it interesting that a kid can attend a championship game as a fan of Auburn (vs. Oregon), grow up to QB his first start against Oregon, and then for his closing act, transfer to the University of Oregon in the hopes of playing QB.  Just makes the world seem a little smaller that two universities separated by over two thousand miles will play such a big part of this young man's life.   

1600561002_BoNix.thumb.PNG.d78203e654cd581d8ece2bb4309ab823.PNG

Bo, I hate to say it, but thus far when Oregon, Bo Nix, and Auburn have collided we've been on the short end of the stick.  I think you owe us one...maybe two.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Just happy Nix is already on campus. So many of the variables already mentioned are greatly affected by  the off-screen chemistry developed off season between QBs and receivers. We’ve got a great - if young - stable. If Nix puts in the time with our receiving talent, it should be one heck of a competition come spring for the job.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:47 AM, Washington Waddler said:

chemistry developed off season between QBs and receivers

I will forever be traumatized by memories of Cade McNown throwing to Danny Farmer in the late 1990's for UCLA and Matt Barkley to Marqise Lee and Robert Woods for USC. if the Ducks can replicate those, it will be all good!