30Duck

Chip Signs Extension at UCLA

He did as he was told and got rid of Azz. UCLA is $40M in the red. What coach could they go after that was half decent and pay the guy's buyout plus salary?

UCLA is a lost cause. The OL coach at UCLA who is good is off to Ohio State. What kind of money does Chip have to pay a new DC and a new OC; especially, considering the COL in LA.

DTR is back? Big whoop.

The COL and the QOL don't add up, in my opinion.

Good for Chip, be a pain to sc for us!

And as of the first game next year, Kelly will have been the head coach at UCLA longer than he was the head coach at Oregon. 

Kinda crazy to think about really. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I wish him the BEST of Luck where ever he hangs his shingle.  He brought Oregon, excitement at a point a minute.  He made most schools, get glasses and a respirator.  He made colleges play like world soccer teams, faking injuries to get a breather.  He made coaches get glasses caused by the BLUR.  But most of all, he had a ton of teachers who developed talent to take Oregon to the National Title game twice in less than 10 years through a great foundation.  I believe it proves Oregon has a solid foundation with the Right Coach to play some Championship Level Football and win some titles.

• Thumbs Up 3

Taking a pay cut, this year he got $5.6 million, new contract will average $4.7 per ESPN.

Another tidbit from the worldwide leader in sports

"Kelly confirmed last month that he was in touch with his former employer, Oregon, about its head-coaching vacancy after Mario Cristobal left Eugene for Miami."

• Haha 1

Neither party has much in the way of options, so they're probably a good fit.

Edited by noDucknewby

On 1/14/2022 at 8:38 PM, David Marsh said:

And as of the first game next year, Kelly will have been the head coach at UCLA longer than he was the head coach at Oregon. 

Kinda crazy to think about really. 

I think Chip has the easiest P5 OOC schedule in 2022. 3 home cupcakes. He'll start 3-0 but will anyone show up to watch the games? 

On 1/15/2022 at 1:45 AM, Jon Joseph said:

will anyone show up to watch the games?

UCLA is one of those schools who need a new stadium badly. The rose bowl is a wonderful venue for a bowl game but UCLA can't fill it with fans every week and it makes them look even worse. 

Also... The Rose Bowl is just lacking those modern touches that most stadiums have which probably hurts the fan experience. 

I mean Oregon State is giving Riser a facelift and trying to up their stadium game.

UCLA needs a new stadium... And probably a smaller one too. But that all will cost loads of money which they don't have and so the cycle continues where they don't have enough money for new facilities while the old ones are hurting fan turn out ... Along with the on field product. 

Most of that could be solved if they just were better. I'm sure they are filling seats in their basketball arena right now. 

On 1/15/2022 at 1:32 PM, David Marsh said:

UCLA is one of those schools who need a new stadium badly. The rose bowl is a wonderful venue for a bowl game but UCLA can't fill it with fans every week and it makes them look even worse. 

Also... The Rose Bowl is just lacking those modern touches that most stadiums have which probably hurts the fan experience. 

I mean Oregon State is giving Riser a facelift and trying to up their stadium game.

UCLA needs a new stadium... And probably a smaller one too. But that all will cost loads of money which they don't have and so the cycle continues where they don't have enough money for new facilities while the old ones are hurting fan turn out ... Along with the on field product. 

Most of that could be solved if they just were better. I'm sure they are filling seats in their basketball arena right now. 

But where could it be built? Westwood, Bel Air? Is Westwood closer to the new Rams/Chargers stadium?

On 1/15/2022 at 3:54 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But where could it be built? Westwood, Bel Air? Is Westwood closer to the new Rams/Chargers stadium?

Not on the UCLA budget... if there was a real strong desire to build they could make it happen.

Universities also own a TON of land that isn't even being used but they are projecting out 50-100 years when they might need it. I am sure UCLA probably has the land available but I am sure it is slated for other projects in the distant future.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:54 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Yes, it's closer, a 13 mile straight shot down the 405, much easier access for Bruin students an fans. The rose bowl is twice as far away. 

I hate to say it, because I love the rose bowl, but I think it would be better for them to move to SoFi. Which, would basically be the end of the rose bowl stadium and the game would simply move to sofi. I think it's inevitable that this will happen at some point.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope Chip has a great run a UCLA. Big fan of his ... rather have a coach like Chip being himself than coaches acting phony spouting off coach speak.

UCLA a great university and to be honest their fans seem to have other interests. Most the alum like their team but are not living and dying with how they do...it is just entertainment to them. Of course they like winning more than losing but it sure isn't game day in Alabama.

The weather is perfect too!

UCLA has always been the BB school. USC is the football team in LA. Tough to change that narrative.