Steven A

Done Deal: Local FAST Player Coming Home!

Just two days after de-committing from the Utah Utes, 247Sports three-star athlete Justius Lowe, a Lake Oswego wide receiver/defensive back, implied he will have breaking news at 7 p.m.

Full article at Oregonlive  Prediction: Oregon Ducks poised for key in-state commitment - oregonlive.com

• Thumbs Up 6

That is a very nice article giving more to the 3-Star story....  Thanks Steven "A"

Mr. FishDuck

Talent meeting development means entertainment. I look forward to this story evolving into part of the legend of the new Oregon offense.

We had talent meet little development and a void on entertainment. It is part of our past, time to move onward!

• Thumbs Up 5

Any relation to Keenan? 

I am excited to SEE kids who may not make the HS Circus Circuit that is the ESPN 24/7 evaluations get some hard working kids who need the MENTORS that develop young kids into Young Men.  Diamonds in the rough.  Yes Please, Coach Lanning!  The student athletes leaving in the portal, reflects a lack of character on the young men bailing on a team that should be working HARD to keep the foundation of T E A M intact.  Not the coaches, your brothers who are in the trenches with you.  Lets build the TEAM, not a bunch of me first guys.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks for posting that deschutesduck, and I just watched some video on him, and wow...has he got the jets or what?  Offers from USC, Notre Dame and Florida along with half the Pac-12.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Let's also get real about recruiting rankingd this year... There are a ton who are underrated this year because many to most are lacking high school junior year tape because of shortened or canceled seasons. 

So Lowe may be a bit raw because he missed out on some junior year development and he may just not have that much tape so he is underrated in terms of his star ranking. 

So many players need to be developed in college anyways so he may need a redshirt year but he could be a real find. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I do not care so much about the rankings as I do the Development and End Results.  What do I want, a 2021 Alamo Bowl loss with 3 top ten class, 2021, 2020, 2019 and the 13th ranked 2018 class of recruits playing.  A win at the 2020 Rose Bowl with the 7th ranked 2019, 13th ranked 2018, 19th ranked 2017 and the 27th ranked 2016 classes.  You either coach up your kids or hope your kids play up to their rankings.

Just so you know.  The Oregon Helfrich lead Team that faced the Ohio State in the 2015 first CFP CG had the following recruiting rankings 2014- #21, 2013- #19,  2012- #14 and 2011- #12.  The Oregon Chip lead Team that faced Auburn in the old BCS CG had the following recruiting rankings 201- #12, 2009- #30, 2008- #34, 2007- #14.

These Teams did more with less.  They Coached up players beyond their stars.  I hope Dan Lanning looks at this and sees, it HAS been done.  High caliber players with the right Coaches and of course the RIGHT Head Coach, can do a lot at Oregon even with lower ranked classes.  Show me any team at the same level as Oregon that has done this well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who is tired tired of the “recruiting rankings don’t matter argument “? image.thumb.png.47f53170ccf50a7a6ff468d50237244c.png

Remember Tony Gwynn said that in baseball the grinders ultimately outperformed the naturals in the long run. However, he also said that if you have a natural that is a grinder you have a superstar. So give me a higher rated player that works hard while being developed by excellent coaching and you have a winning combination as the chart above supports.

On 1/19/2022 at 5:53 AM, LADuck said:

Remember Tony Gwynn said that in baseball the grinders ultimately outperformed the naturals in the long run. However, he also said that if you have a natural that is a grinder you have a superstar. So give me a higher rated player that works hard while being developed by excellent coaching and you have a winning combination as the chart above supports.

Jordan

Gwynn

Sanders

Gretzky

All grinders. All naturals. All world and all timers. I gotta agree with ya!!!

Cheers.

A lazy natural can also kill the culture of a team. Paying players or really anyone who has a passion for what they do can also destroy that drive. A team which just focus's on getting the elite talent also doesn't lead to greatness.

The best example of a lazy natural is Allen Iverson. He seldom wanted to practice and his teams suffered, and he never reached the pinnacle. Every player has an impact on the team and a player who doesn't have to try as hard as the others just demoralizes the rest of the team. This kind of dynamic can drain a team, especially one where the elite isn't the norm, and can't be put in it's place when underperforming.

Another phenomenum is the fact monetizing a passion can kill the passion. When a child or really anyone does something out of passion, is intrinsically motivated, and you overload external motivators you often kill the harmony that drove that spirit. This is where a focus on merely competing at the NIL game will ultimately destroy a program. The intrinsic motivation is the one you want to cultivate, not infect with an overwhelming external force.

Lastly Oregon's recent focus on winning the recruiting battle as an end all was also a dead end. Recruiting is one part of an equation, a qualitative equation, but it is only a part. It is easy to quantify so it is easy to get excited about it. Too much emphasis and you become Texas, or SC. The culture of the team is critical and having players come to a team which highlights their recruiting chops just leads to underperformance once they hit the field. 

We need a renewed emphasis on creating talent, and teamwork, really a synergy of effort from a group of players. The emphasis should be on building towards greatness, not being great or getting great individually. Everyone is important and everything is significant. I love the idea we can recruit at the elite level, but the elite level is so much more than just signing the recruit. Becoming exceptional as a team involves everyone building each other, and the team coming first. I actually think this is why the ex-players recently spoke out, that is the Oregon way, and it was lost under Mario.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/19/2022 at 8:24 AM, Haywarduck said:

A lazy natural can also kill the culture of a team. Paying players or really anyone who has a passion for what they do can also destroy that drive. A team which just focus's on getting the elite talent also doesn't lead to greatness.

The best example of a lazy natural is Allen Iverson. He seldom wanted to practice and his teams suffered, and he never reached the pinnacle. Every player has an impact on the team and a player who doesn't have to try as hard as the others just demoralizes the rest of the team. This kind of dynamic can drain a team, especially one where the elite isn't the norm, and can't be put in it's place when underperforming.

Another phenomenum is the fact monetizing a passion can kill the passion. When a child or really anyone does something out of passion, is intrinsically motivated, and you overload external motivators you often kill the harmony that drove that spirit. This is where a focus on merely competing at the NIL game will ultimately destroy a program. The intrinsic motivation is the one you want to cultivate, not infect with an overwhelming external force.

Lastly Oregon's recent focus on winning the recruiting battle as an end all was also a dead end. Recruiting is one part of an equation, a qualitative equation, but it is only a part. It is easy to quantify so it is easy to get excited about it. Too much emphasis and you become Texas, or SC. The culture of the team is critical and having players come to a team which highlights their recruiting chops just leads to underperformance once they hit the field. 

We need a renewed emphasis on creating talent, and teamwork, really a synergy of effort from a group of players. The emphasis should be on building towards greatness, not being great or getting great individually. Everyone is important and everything is significant. I love the idea we can recruit at the elite level, but the elite level is so much more than just signing the recruit. Becoming exceptional as a team involves everyone building each other, and the team coming first. I actually think this is why the ex-players recently spoke out, that is the Oregon way, and it was lost under Mario.

The sum of the parts is greater than the whole!  TEAM

That's why Helton at USC was never a complete team.

Excellent points Haywarduck!  I always appreciate your contributions to the Forum With Decorum.

What do we think is going to happen to superstar teenagers that have been coddled their whole lives. Then throw a bunch of nil money at them.

Does anyone think that they all will make wise decisions or try harder. Probably not.

Money is the root of all evil. Don’t remember who came up with that but it is so true.

The examples of 3 stars playing above their ranking is a rather large number just ask Utah’s head coach KW or MM.

We should all welcome 3 stars and coach them up and most will produce. 

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

On 1/19/2022 at 8:56 AM, Just Ducky said:

What do we think is going to happen to superstar teenagers that have been coddled their whole lives. Then throw a bunch of nil money at them.

Does anyone think that they all will make wise decisions or try harder. Probably not.

Money is the root of all evil. Don’t remember who came up with that but it is so true.

The examples of 3 stars playing above their ranking is a rather large number just ask Utah’s head coach KW or MM.

We should all welcome 3 stars and coach them up and most will produce. 

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

Money making money is a beautiful thing. People obsessing over making money is an ugly thing. If a young person can understand the importance of the first and the problems of the second they will be way ahead of the game. The game of money is just that, you have to learn to play it too.

The goal of everyone should be to have money making money, and be able to step away from focusing on individually making money. I am not talking about getting to the point where SS just gives you a check. I find it amazing this lesson isn't taught more explicitly. It is an absolute, you will work for money until money starts working for you, pretty simple.

• Thumbs Up 2