FishDuck Article

Travis Dye OUT: Who Earns the Job?

This transfer surprised me more than former head coach Mario Cristobal abandoning his post and shipping out to Miami. Lincoln Riley is as good of a college coach as a running back could ask for, but it seemed probable that Travis Dye would take his talents to the NFL next season. Sure, he may not have been a top pick in the ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Whoever does will be a lucky man. This goes for the qb job and the receiver jobs too. The new offense is going to be exciting to watch and be part of, Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 4

Losing Travis Dye was a shock and I know that I will miss him. His most productive year may still be ahead of him as he was ever more productive. I really appreciate all that Troy and Travis did for Oregon Football, and hope they will be alumni boosters in the future. They both "left it all on the field".

I like our RB's though the ranks have become thin with the departures of Travis and Trey Benson. I'm somewhat confident that we will see one or more new RB's before the recruiting cycle ends for 2022, and the coaches will need to find top RB commits for 2023. The RB position is not a huge worry for me in 2022. 

Edited by Notalot
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

It seems like Dollars has been around a long time. It would be great to actually see him play a complete season, Cardwell looked impressive last season, and I wouldn't mind if Broussard decided to be a Duck. I agree with Haywarduck, the RB's will be a part of an exciting offense next season, whoever they are. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I think we have plenty of talent left at running back, though more depth will be good. Yeah, Cardwell seems obvious, but let's see what Spring brings, and who might be coming through the transfer portal.

As to Dye going to USC rather than the NFL, maybe USC is paying better. Just kidding.

I'm a little puzzled with this. I think riley will have a lot of success at USC, but next years they are not loaded on the offensive line and Riley has earned a reputation for flinging the ball around and not so much grinding it out. I love Dye and don't begrudge him doing what he feels is best for him, but he just might have transferred himself into several less carries per game than he would be looking at for Oregon and maybe a few less holes to run through. 

My best to him though. He gave his heart and soul to Oregon and no one runs with more heart than Travis Dye.

• Like 1

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

This transfer surprised me more than former head coach Mario Cristobal abandoning his post and shipping out to Miami. Lincoln Riley is as good of a college coach as a running back could ask for, but it seemed probable that Travis Dye would take his talents to the NFL next season. Sure, he may not have been a top pick in the ...

Read the full article here...

Thank you and I believe the RB room just got better. You know maybe Dan told Dye that they wanted to go in a different direction. I mean I wanted a RB that can at least hit the hole and be gone for 6 points again. I miss all the talented RBs Oregon used to have. Man it used to be littered with 5 star RBs. James and Barner obviously not 5 star RBs but they should have been because they were underrated to say the least. Burners is what they were and speed kills. Please I need some speed!

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 9:08 AM, OhioDuck said:

I think we have plenty of talent left at running back, though more depth will be good. Yeah, Cardwell seems obvious, but let's see what Spring brings, and who might be coming through the transfer portal.

As to Dye going to USC rather than the NFL, maybe USC is paying better. Just kidding.

I'm a little puzzled with this. I think riley will have a lot of success at USC, but next years they are not loaded on the offensive line and Riley has earned a reputation for flinging the ball around and not so much grinding it out. I love Dye and don't begrudge him doing what he feels is best for him, but he just might have transferred himself into several less carries per game than he would be looking at for Oregon and maybe a few less holes to run through. 

My best to him though. He gave his heart and soul to Oregon and no one runs with more heart than Travis Dye.

Thanks Ohio for the post. I believe it's more on the lines he went home to his and his new wife, to be around their families. Maybe NIL is playing a part.

Who among us wouldn't take that option if given. That's my speculation. The Dye brothers are in the Ducks HOF.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not a lot of depth, though!

As someone stated above, I bet we add on more RB thru the portal.  If we don't smash it up the middle every time (new OC I suspect will be way more creative than Cristobol) then Seven McGee...using the speed to find the holes on the edges would be a great compliment to Cardwell, who will probably thrive in a new system as well.

• Like 1

I remember Dye saying that Cardwell was going to be a great Duck.  As Duck1972 said, “I believe it's more on the lines he went home to his and his new wife, to be around their families.”

I think that, and the fact that TD has proven all he needs to prove as a Duck, maybe he saw this as a new challenge close to home with his new bride, while ensuring some of the young Duck RBs get lots of reps next year.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 11:11 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

You know maybe Dan told Dye that they wanted to go in a different direction.

And Dillingham that there would be a shift to more of a passing attack.  That would be sweet.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:25 AM, Haywarduck said:

Thanks for that clip. Fun to see the running, but also the blocks that helped clear the way.

Whoever the starting RB may be, I believe patience will have be practiced by us fans in 2022. We have a HC with a huge upside but he has never been an HC. He has collective new staff, which looks great, but they have never all worked together. A new system is being introduced on both sides of the ball. The Oregon QB will never have started a game for Oregon. The Ducks have an OOC baptism by fire. Opening against the defending national champ, with its champ winning QB back and also playing a top 25 and experienced BYU team. Then 5 conference road games in a Pac-12 conference where no team since expansion has gone undefeated.

Other big questions. Is Flowe cursed with the injury bug; can he hold up for an entire season? Are the guys Mario recruited equal to their recruiting ranking? Will a game-breaking WR show up?  Can Dillingham get the O back to scoring 40+ points a game? Are the OL guys Mario recruited built to play in the style of O Dillingham will run? Will any impact recruits or transfers, including Nix, be coming on board? Will the D be improved from what we saw from DeRuyter? 

Also, the QB play in the conference next season at least on paper, should materially improve. UCLA and ASU return their starting QBs. Plummer at CAL (and CAL lost a number of 1 score games in 2021) and Penix at UW could be big upgrades. Ward is coming into WSU. Ward threw for over 4000 yards in 2021 and his HC at Immaculate Word is now the Cougars OC. The very good WSU QB transferred to Arizona. Cam Rising is the undisputed starting QB at Utah. The returning QB at Stanford is very good. The Beavers have an experienced QB returning. Not on the schedule in the regular season but watch out if Caleb Williams signs with SC.

Of course, I am hoping for the best but Lanning has to be given some time to get his pieces in place. One thing I do expect to see under Lanning, the team playing to its talent level, ready to play hard for 60 minutes against every opponent and not playing down to the level of poorer competition.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Like 1

BYU. I don't mean to overrate BYU. The Cougars got a lot of help from the Pac-12 teams it defeated in 2021. Utah had not figured out that Rising was the starter at QB. ASU 'penalized' its way out of a game it easily could have won. USC the last game of the season was in 'let's get this over with' mode. The Cougars finished ranked 47 in the SP+ and lost its bowl game to UAB.

A solid OOC opponent but nowhere near UGA in Talent and the game is in Autzen.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:19 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Whoever the starting RB may be, I believe patience will have be practiced by us fans in 2022. We have a HC with a huge upside but he has never been an HC. He has collective new staff, which looks great, but they have never all worked together. A new system is being introduced on both sides of the ball. The Oregon QB will never have started a game for Oregon. The Ducks have an OOC baptism by fire. Opening against the defending national champ, with its champ winning QB back and also playing a top 25 and experienced BYU team. Then 5 conference road games in a Pac-12 conference where no team since expansion has gone undefeated.

Sage advice for the season. I too look for mistakes, poor execution, and players looking lost at times. What I also look for is effort and improvement.  If the 2022 Ducks don't have those bad attributes then Lanning is going to get an early rewrite of his contract, and rightly so. Those good attributes have been sorely lacking.

• Thumbs Up 2