Charles Fischer

Bad Influences in Oregon High School Recruiting

A pervasive problem in our new sports culture...  (Is "gotten" a real word for a sportswriter?)

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I would put that as the definition of predictable. The next predictable outcome is the extremely poor outcomes of more of these student athletes. The negative impacts won't end there!

The sharks are in the water and the kids are the victims. The exploitation of youth made legal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've seen this myself 13 Years ago.  A high school athlete is told they're NFL talent by private coaches. This over-inflated ego leads to transferring when first college experience is not starting!

These private coaches and 7 on 7 teams tell their clients what they want to hear.  Their income relies upon this.  I've had numerous students sold on this dream.

Whether it was Classic soccer, AAU basketball, or 7-on-7 football, the sad truth is only 2% of high school athletes play college sports.  And only 2% of college athletes have a professional career.

On 1/25/2022 at 3:29 PM, Smith72 said:

the sad truth is only 2% of high school athletes play college sports.  And only 2% of college athletes have a professional career.

The sadder truth is that of the remaining 98% at each level, probably another 20 - 30% are fully convinced they're future stars.

I played HS basketball and soccer but knew well enough that I wasn't making it to the next level.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/25/2022 at 6:43 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Is "gotten" a real word for a sportswriter?

Good for Nemec, a good old past participle

All I know is that if I was a couple inches taller and my coach didn't have an attitude I could have been somebody! This is what we are going to hear even more, and it probably won't include any limitations on ability. Full disclosure, not my quote, but the attitude I see with too many student athletes.

It starts way before high school.

My son was targeted by a classmate’s father for private coaching in the third grade.  I told the guy “no thanks” to his offer to coach my son through high school to get him a college scholarship.

My son enjoyed team sports, but his passion was for snowboarding.  A hard fall resulted in two shoulder reconstruction surgeries and the end of his football play.

The guy’s son went on to be a star for the Ducks and now plays in the NBA.

• Thumbs Up 2

And lurking behind it all is this whisper of untold riches that envelopes these dreams like some sort of white noise elevator music just awaiting them now, even at the college level.

• Thumbs Up 1

With the lure of NIL, I imagine it will only get worse. More parents will get involved too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe it's parents driven. If we want to stop it educate the parents. Oh that's right u can't educate someone who doesn't want to be or see a problem. Also with the net parents influence is waning.

Envelopes..Envelopes... yup. That's the crux of the issue

On 1/25/2022 at 2:54 PM, woundedknees said:

Envelopes..Envelopes... yup. That's the crux of the issue

Or, McDonald's bags like Tennessee. The McDonald's bags have become BRINKS and GARDA trucks backed to the curb with the doors wide open.

But nobody seems to notice or care, The NCAA is taking a Covid break to hide its money and plan for a much reduced role in Act II, or possibly for its demise..

• Thumbs Up 1

This sounds like a modern version of an ageless phenomenon.  But the NIL and transfer stuff makes it worse.  My guess is this is not just limited to Oregon

Edited by idontrollonshobbas