FishDuck Article

How Lanning Can Make Oregon “Georgia West”

Fresh off of an incredible showing by his defense in the National Championship Game, Dan Lanning’s newest challenge is building a similarly dominant unit at Oregon. Elite defenses aren’t built overnight, and it will take months — or maybe even years — of expert-level coaching and top-tier recruiting for the Ducks to have a defense of Georgia’s caliber. But now ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great information Joshua for us Oregon fans to be aware of.  Unfortunately, it really calls attention to the importance of elite defensive linemen, the scarcity of them and how difficult it will be to get them to the PNW.

The Washington Transfer was a good start!

Former Washington defensive tackle Sam Taimani transfers to Oregon

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Along with 3 studs up front you also need quality back ups or the starters will get wore down chasing a lot of these mobile QBs around that exist in college football. The more time the big dogs spend on the field the less effective they will probably be. The 2 deep is so important.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another great take Joshua. How long did it take Kirby to win a Natty? Patience will be required.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I love Big Joe as our coach, he didn't put us over the top recruiting elite interior lineman. A student athlete like Siaki Ika, from SLC, was a must get, but we never moved the dial on this guy. He wasn't the only one, but Oregon is now more attractive to those prospects.

Between Tosh and Tuioti Oregon has committed to recruiting and developing interior d-lineman. I completely agree with what Joshua says about the lineman making the whole defense go. Back when we had Ngata and Igor our LB's looked much better than they were. Now that we have elite LB's, all we are waiting for is some beef with speed and power to help out.

As the fans focus on bringing back the Oregon O, the program is focused on building an elite defense. It will be great to see explosive plays again, but the defense will be exploding offensive opportunities if Lanning does what he was hired to do. I look forward to this development, which has already started!

• Thumbs Up 3

I agree that the DL is the heart and soul of the defense.

This year we know that Oregon’s recruiting takes a hit. However, Lanning has an opportunity to take a big step forward with recruiting if he gets this team on track with a stingy defense and a wide open offense. 

Duplicating Georgia’s defensive line anytime soon isn’t very realistic. However, winning games by wide margins gets attention. Boot stomping lesser teams would be a good start. 

Lanning has compiled a solid coaching staff and inherited a solid core of players. Fans at Autzen know a good product when they see one. I hope this staff helps to return Autzen to one of the loudest stadiums in college football. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Miller would be a great start. And Halton who is still committed to us. If he can get both and with who we're bringing back it will change the timeline.

Reading this article and just thinking about a dominating defense is making it wonderfully stressful waiting for the Spring Game and the season. Patience is required, Oregon won't be Georgia Defense in 2022. But I remember how fun Gang Green was back in the 90's!

• Thumbs Up 1

Please don’t make Georgia West make Oregon with a stout defense.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No reason we can't recruit outstanding DLs. We have in the past with Ngata and Olshansky and more recently DeFo B and Arik A (and even Mondeaux, a Portland 3* who is carving himself out a nice spot with the Steelers).

Dorlus and Taimani look to be good start

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/26/2022 at 12:15 PM, Drake said:

This year we know that Oregon’s recruiting takes a hit. However, Lanning has an opportunity to take a big step forward with recruiting if he gets this team on track with a stingy defense and a wide open offense. 

Duplicating Georgia’s defensive line anytime soon isn’t very realistic. However, winning games by wide margins gets attention. Boot stomping lesser teams would be a good start. 

Lanning has compiled a solid coaching staff and inherited a solid core of players. Fans at Autzen know a good product when they see one. I hope this staff helps to return Autzen to one of the loudest stadiums in college football. 

Great take. How would you like the sack the QB 9 times and lose the Game? Ask Coach Vrabel.

I think Dino Philyaws Barbecue needs to get a longterm contract to supply brisket, ribs and everything tasty to the Oregon Football Teams food service. A d-line needs to be fed and fed well. Shakes and salads are all good, but the big boys want some meat on the bone!

o.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/26/2022 at 1:58 PM, Haywarduck said:

Dino Philyaw

Dino scores in The Pick game

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/26/2022 at 10:23 AM, Pocketchange said:

Please don’t make Georgia West make Oregon with a stout defense.

Georgia was No.9 in the country last season in points per game, 38.6. When Saban realized that teams needed an offense to win championships too, Kirby went along. SEC football is not filled with 9-6 games anymore.

I tell ya man, you guys have some talent on that defense.  I do not know your roster well enough to comment on depth and as always DL players that are true "freaks" are hard to come by.  But I recognize a lot of those names on your defense, it was some guys UGA went after pretty hard. 

Manning and Flowe without a doubt and I am still mad about Sewell.  Man we knew it was a tough pull to get him to Athens but we pulled out the stops on his visit when we played Notre Dame.  

Our fans are still coming off the high of the natty but we know we are facing a lot of talent.  

• Thanks 3

On 1/26/2022 at 10:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Great information Joshua for us Oregon fans to be aware of.  Unfortunately, it really calls attention to the importance of elite defensive linemen, the scarcity of them and how difficult it will be to get them to the PNW.

The Washington Transfer was a good start!

Former Washington defensive tackle Sam Taimani transfers to Oregon

I'm VERY excited about the transfer from Washington. He was a much-needed addition to our relatively thin D-Line.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/26/2022 at 11:23 AM, Just Ducky said:

Along with 3 studs up front you also need quality back ups or the starters will get wore down chasing a lot of these mobile QBs around that exist in college football. The more time the big dogs spend on the field the less effective they will probably be. The 2 deep is so important.

This is a fantastic point and one that should not be overlooked. Depth is HUGE. You hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 11:25 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Another great take Joshua. How long did it take Kirby to win a Natty? Patience will be required.

Absolutely. This is going to be a process, especially with all of the roster turnover.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:30 AM, Haywarduck said:

As much as I love Big Joe as our coach, he didn't put us over the top recruiting elite interior lineman. A student athlete like Siaki Ika, from SLC, was a must get, but we never moved the dial on this guy. He wasn't the only one, but Oregon is now more attractive to those prospects.

Between Tosh and Tuioti Oregon has committed to recruiting and developing interior d-lineman. I completely agree with what Joshua says about the lineman making the whole defense go. Back when we had Ngata and Igor our LB's looked much better than they were. Now that we have elite LB's, all we are waiting for is some beef with speed and power to help out.

As the fans focus on bringing back the Oregon O, the program is focused on building an elite defense. It will be great to see explosive plays again, but the defense will be exploding offensive opportunities if Lanning does what he was hired to do. I look forward to this development, which has already started!

Adding Tosh is such a massive addition, and he should be a big help in recruiting the Southeast. Of course LBs are important too, but they're really able to shine when teamed with an elite D-Line. I am confident Lanning will get the D-Line in championship-level shape before long, so long as he gets some recruiting wins at that position.

On 1/26/2022 at 12:15 PM, Drake said:

I do hope Lanning gets the Ducks to play up to their potential more often than Cristobal did. I feel like Oregon only brought its A-game like once or twice a year under him.

On 1/26/2022 at 1:56 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

No reason we can't recruit outstanding DLs. We have in the past with Ngata and Olshansky and more recently DeFo B and Arik A (and even Mondeaux, a Portland 3* who is carving himself out a nice spot with the Steelers).

Dorlus and Taimani look to be good start

Yeah, Dorlus is really, really good. With this staff, he might be a game-wrecker.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:02 PM, amcdawg said:

I tell ya man, you guys have some talent on that defense.  I do not know your roster well enough to comment on depth and as always DL players that are true "freaks" are hard to come by.  But I recognize a lot of those names on your defense, it was some guys UGA went after pretty hard. 

Manning and Flowe without a doubt and I am still mad about Sewell.  Man we knew it was a tough pull to get him to Athens but we pulled out the stops on his visit when we played Notre Dame.  

Our fans are still coming off the high of the natty but we know we are facing a lot of talent.  

Thanks friend. Kirby followed Nick in getting smart regarding today's O. Monken was a great hire. I think Bennett is way underrated. Or, was so? UGA is still a play awesome D run hard O, use the passing game when needed team. And how about Bowers from Pac-12 country?

What do you think about your stud receiver, Burton's transfer. Is he going to Bama to get a bigger NFL upside with Saban still more passing oriented than Kirby? Bennett is the real deal but I think the young man would rather max out his skills being in the Bama O and playing with the Heisman trophy winning QB? I'll be in the ATL 9/3 hoping we can hang with you Dawgs. Nix? 0-3 vs UGA but he isn't a bad QB and has experience playing in front of crowds the Ducks will see on 9/3. Not that it matters for the next game but UGA is 1-4 in the last 5 games played in MB stadium. But the L's? 3 to Bama. 1 to Joe Burrow's LSU team and a good win against Cincinnati.

I was so happy to see UGA break through this season. And Athens? What a fantastic college town. I wish we were playing UGA in Athens with a return game but it is what it is. Except for 9/3/22 GO DAWGS!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, Burton left for the opportunity to get stats for the NFL.  He was a key cog in our championship and by all accounts a great teammate so I certainly wish him well.

I still think Kirby wants the offense to evolve but I think he didn't trust Daniels to stay healthy and he knew he could win just about any game with defense, the kicking game, and being smart on offense, if not explosive.  This year he was right but it took an all-time defense.

However, I think you guys will definitely see Bennett as the starter.  If he is replaced it will not be game one and certainly not against not only a team as talented as Oregon but against a coach that knows us as well as Dan does.  Bennett is solid, and while most people will talk about how UGA will need to be more explosive (and I and most UGA fans agree), I would not be the least surprised to see even more of a running game and slowing the game down. 

First, that is Kirby's modus operandi but second, Kirby is a defensive coach who knows he needs to "protect" his defense, at least early on. I think he is going to want to limit possessions and try to make you guys go the length of the field.  In 2021 the defense gave UGA's offense short fields, I think in 2022 he will want the offense to give the defense long fields.  At least until the defense grows up some.

Of course, now that I said this they will probably go five wide the whole game, lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just want m Duckies to kick @$$. And hopefully before I die.