30Duck

Jahlil Florence Commits to Oregon

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

Nice!

image.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok 1 down 4 to go James, Broadingham, Iluli and Miller. 

Whew!  A BIG-BIG recruiting piece for this year.

That's right...COME to Oregon!

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

My gut says Iluli is probably going to follow Cristobal, unless maybe the latest coaching news out of Miami starts to give him 2nd thoughts.  James will probably flip to Oregon where he is sorely needed.  Would love it if the Ducks reeled in a top 25 recruiting class, that provides some more momentum for 2023 recruiting hype.

On 1/31/2022 at 2:33 PM, kirklandduck said:

Would love it if the Ducks reeled in a top 25 recruiting class, that provides some more momentum for 2023 recruiting hype.

I cannot imagine making the top 25 simply because of a much smaller class taken due to fewer scholarships available.  The transfers from the portal takes away scholarships too, and while this will be a smaller year--we'll be OK, IMHO.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/31/2022 at 2:36 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I cannot imagine making the top 25 simply because of a much smaller class taken due to fewer scholarships available.  The transfers from the portal takes away scholarships too, and while this will be a smaller year--we'll be OK, IMHO.

True but one can dream 😄 I like the inroads DL and staff are making with 2023, 2024, and even 2025 potential recruits.  They're certainly not wasting any time!

Been thinking about the decommit concept Charles brought up. I think it is a deself process. A coach has to get the student athletes to begin to see the team as bigger than themselves. That isn't an easy process with these kids who have been told it is all about them for many years.

Welcome Mr. Florence, enjoy the process you will be going through under Coach Lanning. You will learn to love the hate, and hate what you loved while questioning everything that brought you to this point, enjoy it! It is all part of growing up and becoming what is deep inside you!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 2:25 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Miller has eliminated the Ducks. 

Ok that makes sense of the pu of DL Riley.

Completely forgot to list T Williams, legacy DE Whinston and keep 1 scholarship open for OL Connelly just in case.

Also we need some experience at WR with 1 or 2 spots. Then on to 23/24 and beyond!

My guess says James to Oregon, Broadingham to FLA, Iuli to Miami, Miller to GA.

So glad to get Jahlil! He is a baller.

Edited by AllOregon
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 5:25 PM, Duck 1972 said:

YES!!, agree!

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 6:20 PM, AllOregon said:

Agree, so glad we got Jahill.  Hoping coach L can pull off more surprises with the other 4.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 3:18 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Completely forgot to list T Williams, legacy DE Whinston

Also gonna guess both these guys pick Oregon

• Thanks 1

• Thumbs Up 2

It's possible we hit top 25, but that stuff isn't as important as developing all the stars we have, who chose to stay, and the '22s coming in. Some decent transfers bring in good, experienced D1 players, adds depth.  They don't count in the rankings,  but I see now someone is ranking the portal, no surprise.  Somebody will take the 247 Composite and merge it with the Portal rankings, and you get some dumb number...that doesn't really matter.  Next years class could be top 5 with this staff!  Still...it's all about coaching them up, MC and company proved that, huh?

• Like 1

You could analyze this to no end. Friend of mine bragging about SC having the number one ranked transfer portal in the country. Spun some numbers back at him saying you have to analyze who left SC thru the portal and develop a net transfer portal metric. Also pointed out that many of the top teams only have a few if any transfers because they don't need them.

Of course a 4 - 8 team is going to need more help than others do so don't get too excited about transfer rankings. Would Georgia be happy if 12 players left with an overall average rating of 4.25 and they picked up the same number with an average rating of 3.5? Of course they wouldn't be but they would have a high transfer ranking using the current system. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/31/2022 at 4:09 PM, LADuck said:

Spun some numbers back at him saying you have to analyze who left SC thru the portal and develop a net transfer portal metric

This sort of analysis isn't part of the rhetoric from USC and Washington. Fight On, Bear Down.

On 1/31/2022 at 3:20 PM, AllOregon said:

I don't see luli going to Miami. He is from Puyallup  and has stated that he wants family close. My guess is $C with Oregon a close second. Besides, MC is a train wreck. 

We did have Iluli for the last visit of the year, last weekend. Great sign for us if he wants to stay on WC. Just like Florence. Beat SC.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2022 at 3:20 PM, AllOregon said:

Changing my opinion.  Iuli comes to Oregon!

On 1/31/2022 at 7:09 PM, LADuck said:

You could analyze this to no end. Friend of mine bragging about SC having the number one ranked transfer portal in the country. Spun some numbers back at him saying you have to analyze who left SC thru the portal and develop a net transfer portal metric. Also pointed out that many of the top teams only have a few if any transfers because they don't need them.

Of course a 4 - 8 team is going to need more help than others do so don't get too excited about transfer rankings. Would Georgia be happy if 12 players left with an overall average rating of 4.25 and they picked up the same number with an average rating of 3.5? Of course they wouldn't be but they would have a high transfer ranking using the current system. 

Adding the recruits signed by SC to the guys SC has taken from the portal, including Caleb Williams, SC would have the top ranked class in the Pac-12 and the No. 9 class in the nation. Riley has to recruit beef and not just great skill players, but with the guys he signed, including Dye, and a decent group returning on the OL, it likely will take a lot of points on the board to beat SC in 2022. Williams at QB is far more athletic than Dart and has more playing experience than Dart including (sorry) a win over a top 25 team in his team's bowl game.