FishDuck Article

Oregon’s Pass Rush Situation in 2022

The offseason is officially in full swing with the NFL culminating in a Rams’ Super Bowl victory yesterday. We now can prepare for spring football, focus on the new faces on Our Beloved Ducks’ roster, and set expectations for the 2022 season. Today, let’s hone in on a big question mark for the defense: what’s going to come of a ...

Read the full article here...

• Thanks 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

It will be definitely all hands on deck. I think our 2 defensive minded coaches will be able to scheme a pass rush that will be more exciting than last years. The opposition won’t know where or who is coming to smash their QB. Should be fun to watch. Can’t wait.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 2

I have to believe, if Flowe is healthy, we will have a very strong pass rush. The D-line is only one part of the pass rush, and stunts and pressure will come from all over.

Against tosu we had 2 sacks without Thibs on the field. We didn't have too much pressure otherwise, but that could change with a different scheme and more blitzes called. I do think there is the talent to bring pressure, it will just take a coach being creative while making that a priority. Hopefully Lanning sees the benefits of a rattled qb!

• Thumbs Up 3

I am much more optimistic about the D-line this year.  Experience is huge for these players...and of the 14 scholarship D-linemen last year, 10 were freshmen, 3 were sophomores and one was a junior.  And I disagree about lack of production from these young dudes.  Dorlus, Swinson, and others held up darn well against tOSU and showed decently late in the season.

Given a refreshing, new, attacking defensive scheme by the new coaching staff, as well as a year of seasoning for the linemen, I believe we have the makings of a quite decent line.  And I highlighted the two players above because I believe they will clock in as All-PAC12 players at the end of the season.

Edited by Mudslide
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great take. Thank you.

You raised a big question: Will Flowe stay healthy? If so, Oregon has perhaps the best 2022 LB corps in the country. 

It will take time for Lanning to bring in a group of DL guys anywhere close to what UGA put on the field last season. We aren't growing many of these guys in the Pac-12 footprint. And we now have a stronger competitor for the services of DL guys in LA. I'm sure Lanning will be keeping an eye on the portal and hopefully he can convince guys from Clemson and SEC territory to come west. 8 playoffs to date with 7 won by teams in the SE.

Liked the take on the DBs but DBs need help from the front 7 getting pressure on the opponent's QB.

3* guys will have to be coached up at Oregon like 3* recruit Aaron Donald was coached up at Pitt. I'm very interested to see how a recruit like Sir Mells progresses in Eugene.

• Thumbs Up 1

The answer is easy .... coaching, coaching and more coaching.

I'm sure DL and Tosh will help make up the Thib loss in the aggregate

Happy Jonah Hill GIF

On 2/14/2022 at 1:10 PM, Steven A said:

The answer is easy .... coaching, coaching and more coaching.

Which was on display yesterday in the Super Bowl.  The Rams schemed to pressure "Mr. Home Alone" very well yesterday in the second half.  

Lanning disrupted Bruce Young's rhythm much the same in the Natty.  Our boys on defense even commented on Twitter.  

We don't have Thibs anymore, so we'll need multiple schemes.  Seal the edge, stop the run.  Spring the edge, pressure up the middle.  I see that coming.  Can't wait until spring. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It's difficult to tell what Coach Lanning needs or if he has what he needs to make his defense work with this group.

In the Natty, not the SEC Championship game,  the defense played with discipline. They played with speed, violence and self discipline.  They handled a team in the Natty that would dominate the PAC.

Team work, self discipline, speed and violence coupled with scheme can make up for alot until Coach Lanning can recruit his players. Go Ducks..

On 2/14/2022 at 5:14 PM, Mike West said:

Which was on display yesterday in the Super Bowl.  The Rams schemed to pressure "Mr. Home Alone" very well yesterday in the second half.  

Lanning disrupted Bruce Young's rhythm much the same in the Natty.  Our boys on defense even commented on Twitter.  

We don't have Thibs anymore, so we'll need multiple schemes.  Seal the edge, stop the run.  Spring the edge, pressure up the middle.  I see that coming.  Can't wait until spring. 

Mr. Home Alone? LOL!

On 2/14/2022 at 6:43 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

It's difficult to tell what Coach Lanning needs or if he has what he needs to make his defense work with this group.

In the Natty, not the SEC Championship game,  the defense played with discipline. They played with speed, violence and self discipline.  They handled a team in the Natty that would dominate the PAC.

Team work, self discipline, speed and violence coupled with scheme can make up for alot until Coach Lanning can recruit his players. Go Ducks..

Great take. They also smothered a very good Michigan team. SEC champ game was the first time UGA was punched in the mouth. Bama had to win this game to make the final 4 and UGA did not. But the Dawgs mad one heck of a 2 game comeback after the loss.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes they did, Jon. That turn around and coaching adjustment by Coach Lanning gives me great hope for our Ducks future.

It was so agonizingly frustrating that anyone and everyone could convert a third and long against the Ducks. All season long.......yet the coaching staff could not figure out how to stop it from happening. Better adjustments ahead will be a delightful surprise.

• Thumbs Up 1

I imagine with Sewell and Flowe both in there we're going to see a lot of them moving in and out disguising who might be coming and expect to see some delayed blitzes, even some corners and safeties coming at times.

Lanning used quite a number of different kinds of blitzes to good effect during the year last year. When there isn't a KT this year, there are still way to pressure the QB. 

My guess is that a lot of QBs facing Oregon are going to see Mr. Sewell and Mr. Flowe in their faces. Then with the threat of those guys it will open things up for DL guys to have opportunities.

Yes it seemed by the end of the season our best hope was a 3rd and 4.  If it was 3rd and 9,10 or more we had no hope of stopping them.   I'm so ready for a Dan Lanning defense!  Go Ducks!!

On 2/14/2022 at 8:49 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. Thank you.

You raised a big question: Will Flowe stay healthy? If so, Oregon has perhaps the best 2022 LB corps in the country. 

It will take time for Lanning to bring in a group of DL guys anywhere close to what UGA put on the field last season. We aren't growing many of these guys in the Pac-12 footprint. And we now have a stronger competitor for the services of DL guys in LA. I'm sure Lanning will be keeping an eye on the portal and hopefully he can convince guys from Clemson and SEC territory to come west. 8 playoffs to date with 7 won by teams in the SE.

Liked the take on the DBs but DBs need help from the front 7 getting pressure on the opponent's QB.

3* guys will have to be coached up at Oregon like 3* recruit Aaron Donald was coached up at Pitt. I'm very interested to see how a recruit like Sir Mells progresses in Eugene.

If DL can bring in anything close to what he had in Georgia then he will be a recruiting or transfer genius. We will be Filled with joy if he does.