Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
30Duck

How Did YOU Become a Ducks Fan?

Originally liked the Beavers because of their all-black uniforms they wore during a Civil War on TV in a barber shop. I was so young, I don't even remember the year . . . I remember my barber, though, Andy Maes.

Duck love started with Joey Harrington and the pounding they gave Colorado.

The infatuation grew with the Dennis Dixon team in 2007 . . . Oh the PAIN of Dixon going down with the knee injury. That, my friends, was THE year!!

The Ducks welded themselves to my heart with an unbreakable bond over the Chip Kelly / LaMichael James years. THERE WAS NOTHING MORE ENTERTAINING IN ALL OF SPORTS (honorable mention '05-'08 Phoenix Suns with Nash/Stoudemire . . . "7 Seconds or Less")

To this day, the Ducks (football only) have an unhealthy ability to bring me pure joy win they win, and turn me into an ornery grouch when they lose.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/23/2022 at 2:37 PM, Annie said:

I didn't know who Y.A. Tittle was.)

Very strange, but in the late 60's I just all of a sudden was full of sports knowledge and knew who Yelverton Abraham Tittle was. Aside from that I look around now and every day I'm more thankful about being a Ducks fan. Pre, Rudy Chapa, watching the Olympic Trials in Hayward Field in '72 and '76. I can't imagine a better situation than being 13 when the Kamikaze Kids started

Of course, it was no surprise that the Portland Trail Blazers, who have made a habit of horrid draft picks, went past Lee, and took Wally Walker from Virginia. Lee ended up going to Phoenix but was stuck behind some guy named Don Buse. There was one game on TV that I'll always remember, the 76ers and Dr. J were playing the Suns, and it was all Ronnie Lee, 28 points, 15 rebounds, 8 assists in a 111-94 win for the Suns.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Saw the Ducks and Bobby Moore play at Civic Stadium and I’ve been hooked on the Ducks ever since. He was a running back at that time.

• Like 1

My wife at the time took me to my first college football game. That was back when you could walk up to the box office and get student tickets - I think they were $8 or $9.

The game was Washington vs. Oregon, 1994. You know the rest.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/23/2022 at 3:28 PM, Just Ducky said:

He was a running back at that time.

As great as he was, he doesn't get enough credit. He's on a short list of both greatest ever RB's and WR's in Ducks history. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Born in Eugene at Sacred Heart Med Center (parents were poor grad students who made the trip to the hospital in a freak snowstorm with an almost broken down car, according to legend, and were convinced the birth was going to happen on the side of the road in a snowdrift.)

I grew up in Portland but they are die hard Duck fans to this day, and the first game I can actually remember as a youngster is sitting and freezing to death during the Toilet Bowl, and I probably only remember it because of how much suffering was involved. How could I be anything less than a life long Duck fan with that background?

Edited by Viking Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mom grew up in Eugene/Springfield area and raised me to love green and yellow.  Loved the title of Tracktown USA and got to see Pre in action.

Was lucky enough to watch some great games in Autzen, starting with the win over BYU when Detmer got sacked by Marcus Woods for a safety right in front of me!

Back in the early 2000’s, I got to drive a quad pulling band equipment onto the field when the GPHS Marching Band played the halftime show, 4 years in a row.

These days I try to bring the Grandkids to at least one game each year.  Enjoy watching the Ducks play football, MBB, WBB, softball, baseball, Tumbling & Acrobatics, Track & Field, etc.

Back in the 60's my family would come out to Oregon from the midwest to see grandparents and cousins for Christmas. Cousins had decorated their room with (what seemed like) lifesize posters of Puddles and Ducks athletes, and all they could talk about was the new Autzen Stadium. It all seemed pretty dazzling to my young, impressionable mind, and I have been a Ducks fan ever since!

• Thumbs Up 1

I played DL/OL in HS football in 70/72 for Estacada which is 20 mi SE of Portland. Recruited by the Ducks but throwing discus was my thing. Wanted to be a Duck after throwing at Hayward during state tournament. Didn't materialize tho.

Then moved to Eugene because of work in 75. Went to numerous games including the "toilet bowl". Lived there till 81. Life long fanatic ever since.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/23/2022 at 6:41 PM, Roguefirm said:

We have relocated from Grants Pass to Surprise AZ and attend Football and basketball games here. 

Lynn M Myrick 

Too funny.  I actually recognize the name Lynn Myrick from my time working in Grants Pass many, many years ago at KAJO.  And I eventually relocated to Arizona before moving overseas.  Small world...

Living in Portland and going to elementary school in the 50s. Had to pick a side in the Civil War. Couldn’t stand the black and red unis, and as a Packer fan, choosing the Ducks was easy. 

Fell in love with the Casanova teams, especially Bob Berry, Mel Renfro and Dave Wilcox. Was honored to wear #15 as a hs quarterback. 

Just a kid born and growing up in the blue collar town across the river. I fished the stretch of river from day island to ferry street. I remember the landfill that was the river bank. My favorite book was Huck Fin.

in 1959 my mother worked at Del Hoffs ice cream Parlor for several years. Del Hoffs was a popular hang out for the basketball team. We went to a basketballs game. I do not remember who the ducks played, it did not matter, I was hooked. If truth were told I waited until half time or snuck into more games in my youth than I have paid for as an adult.

My folks took me to Hayward Field when I was a junior in high school at Medford High.

Year was 1963 and I watched the Ducks beat OSU on a beautiful day.  Won 31-14 even though Mel Renfro couldn't play.  Dave Wilcox and Co. were terrific.  Hooked me then

Born and raised in Eugene how could you not be a Duck fan? Wife's mother worked at the UO registration office so we used to get her faculty seats at the 1/3 off discount since she didn't care much for football. Started going to Duck games in the late 70's early 80's. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/24/2022 at 7:53 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Del Hoffs ice cream Parlor

Wow, this thread is full of memories, I remember Del Hoffs, great ice cream cones. Anybody remember Hugh Luby's? They sponsored my Little League team in 1969.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:01 AM, Gizmoduck said:

I was born to it. My Grandmother Mattie Reynolds was one of the first black women to work on the U of O campus. She was a cook. She loved the Ducks so much that she made my uncle Sam go there, where he was among the first black graduates from the UO law school.

My mother graduated with a degree in psychology, and worked there as an academic advisor until her retirement in 2012. The Lyllye Reynolds-Parker Black Cultural Center was named in her honor in 2019. My family, like many, many others has a long and proud history of supporting our beloved ducks!

Very cool story, congrats to you and your family.

Grew up in the Coliseum (Dad USC class of 33) watching Trojans steamroll whoever - fun as a kid. Travels somehow brought me to Oregon in early 70’s, working my way as a picker and ranch-hand until I landed a job at SPRR in Eugene.

Father sent me a ticket to 1974 game. Sitting among the Trojan faithful, as I so often had as a kid, it brought back a familiar, blasé feeling — an unconcerned, excessively indulged appetite for winning that was reflected in so many of those complacent, supremely confident faces I was sitting with.

Remember it was a good game - close. Remember the Oregon fans living and dying with every play, the energy and noise ceaseless. Remember the USC fans sitting smugly expectant, erupting on occasion with polite clapping. Looking back and forth between the two, I vaguely remember yelling something like, “what the f**k is wrong with you people?” and moving to Autzen’s rim among the Ducks, and never looked back.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/24/2022 at 10:33 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Grew up in the Coliseum (Dad USC class of 33) watching Trojans steamroll whoever - fun as a kid. Travels somehow brought me to Oregon in early 70’s, working my way as a picker and ranch-hand until I landed a job at SPRR in Eugene.

Father sent me a ticket to 1974 game. Sitting among the Trojan faithful, as I so often had as a kid, it brought back a familiar, blasé feeling — an unconcerned, excessively indulged appetite for winning that was reflected in so many of those complacent, supremely confident faces I was sitting with.

Remember it was a good game - close. Remember the Oregon fans living and dying with every play, the energy and noise ceaseless. Remember the USC fans sitting smugly expectant, erupting on occasion with polite clapping. Looking back and forth between the two, I vaguely remember yelling something like, “what the f**k is wrong with you people?” and moving to Autzen’s rim among the Ducks, and never looked back.

Epic post.

What great writing, and what a great story!  Indeed...you are truly one of us!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

My dad is an alumnus of UO from the early '90s. As a young boy I said, "I'm a Ducks fan because my dad was a Duck." When I was 8
I stayed up late watching the national championship against Auburn, not really knowing anything about the team. The next year (2011) my fandom really took off. Go Ducks forever!!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Playing HS football. I remember how excited the broadcasters would get if we got a first down.   "Jorgy under center"  (OMG PLEASE GOD PLEASE, IT'S ONLY 2 MORE YARDS) !

• Thumbs Up 2

Went to Oregon, met my wife there.

Her dad taught journalism and we have never been anything but solid Duck fans.

Earliest memorable football game was beating Troy Aikman and UCLA.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/24/2022 at 10:33 AM, Washington Waddler said:

AND…….USC would have been nothing without Oregon’s John McKay, and John Robinson!

• Thumbs Up 3

A little different story here maybe. 

I grew up rooting for the University of Virginia. Lean years back then, until George Welch became the coach.

I moved to Portland in '99 and lived there for 2 1/2 years. Some friends there were Beaver fans and I went to several games with them. It was the Erickson years so it was a pretty exciting time for the Beavers. I still think his second year they were the best team in the country.

but while in Portland I also started watching Oregon. I really liked how they played and kept following them even when I moved back to Virginia.

When Kelly took over the offense and then as head coach that pretty much locked me up as an Oregon fan. I loved the spread offense with the read option, lots of play action, speed, speed, speed everywhere and playing the fastest tempo in football at any level.

As I became a fan, I learned more about the program, doing things the right way, being innovative, creative and aggressive in every aspect of how the program is run as well as on the field. And I guess there is just that little bit of being the little guy threatening the big guys that I like too. Look out USC's, Alabama's, Ohio State's of the world, here comes Oregon! 

Now I'm excited about a new coach, maybe not a life long Oregon guy, but neither am I. I think Lanning fits the reasons I became a Duck fan.

Edited by OhioDuck
  • Thumbs Up 2

I started back in High School when I went to school with Fred Quillan, Also Joey Harrington's father was a teacher --pre Joey LOL. My alma matter has put out quite a few Ducks over the years.

Back in mid 80’s my brother was a student.  I would visit him and he would take me to the games and I would sit in the student section when I was an 14 or so.  Also I went to a frat party when I was 17.  How could I not be a duck fan?

• Thumbs Up 1