Haywarduck

Reaching Potential?

As I work on my chosen sport for the day I pondered what does it take to develop talent. I am not an elite athlete, but I think it is a universal set of components needed to develop one to their potential. I also ponder this as I have invested a bit of money on my latest sport and will have to learn how to become decent at it before I can enjoy all that money I spent.

I think the number one component it takes to develop talent is curiosity. If you aren't curious you will just languish with your god given talent and never dream of what you can become nor work toward unrealistic goals. This comes mainly from the athlete, does the athlete wonder just how good they can become or are they reveling in just how good everyone thinks they are already.

The coach has to tap into that curiosity too. Whether it is asking the athlete if they want to work hard enough to make money or spark that latent desire to buy mom a new house. A coach also needs to see where the potential is, maybe a DB has RB potential or WR potential. Both of these have come about because of coaching suggestions at Oregon. They also have to ask the subtle and not so subtle questions of players at opportune times.

I also think facilities are important, but Herschel Walker developed himself with hill repeats, pushups and pull-ups. You have to have god given talents and then put it to work and never let up. This is where the summer workouts are interesting to see the outcomes. Sometimes we see great gains in athletes, other times it seems players have slacked off.

This is where a great weight room staff and food regimen is critical. Athletes need to be inspired, held accountable and fed well. With the NIL money will be interesting to see if athletes have too much money to spend of beer and pizza and not enough of the set diet for what they need.

I suppose there are many more things involved in the development of potential. Curiosity is the key ingredient in most things in my opinion. Without you are just a pinball falling wherever you may. With curiosity you can keep driving and keep finding new ways to get better.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks Hayward Duck!  You hit the nail on the head concerning talent.  God given talent isn't enough.  You're correct in noting "curiosity" as very important to develop that natural talent.

May I add to your excellent discourse by suggesting "competitiveness".  It also is within an athlete. The desire to never quit until you have prevailed.

I believe it can be helped by the right coach, teacher, or mentor.  In high school and college I didn't have it - good but not great.  For me it was a good friend who helped me to develop that competitive spirit.

Nothing like an early morning handball court fighting for every point to turn up my " fire".  An hour twice a week for months did it for me.

I saw "it" watching my granddaughter during a gymnastics practice.  The end of a 2 hour class culminated with a competition - who would be the last one hanging on the uneven parallel bars?

I could see it on her face - no one was going to beat her!

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't thought of identifying curiosity in development, you make a great case and I believe you're right in its importance. Thanks for this thoughtful comment.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 4:13 PM, Haywarduck said:

A coach also needs to see where the potential is, maybe a DB has RB potential or WR potential.

Or a WR has RB potential.

Exhibit A: Bobby Moore, aka Ahmad Rashad, all conference WR, all American RB, to Pro Bowl WR.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/27/2022 at 6:41 PM, Smith72 said:

Thanks Hayward Duck!  You hit the nail on the head concerning talent.  God given talent isn't enough.  You're correct in noting "curiosity" as very important to develop that natural talent.

May I add to your excellent discourse by suggesting "competitiveness".  It also is within an athlete. The desire to never quit until you have prevailed.

I believe it can be helped by the right coach, teacher, or mentor.  In high school and college I didn't have it - good but not great.  For me it was a good friend who helped me to develop that competitive spirit.

Nothing like an early morning handball court fighting for every point to turn up my " fire".  An hour twice a week for months did it for me.

I saw "it" watching my granddaughter during a gymnastics practice.  The end of a 2 hour class culminated with a competition - who would be the last one hanging on the uneven parallel bars?

I could see it on her face - no one was going to beat her!

Great point and there is competitiveness and then there is being cutthroat. You definitely need competitiveness and I think it complements curiosity very well. There is a hunger and a fire in a Noah Sewell you want. I am sure he is curious as to his potential, but he has an ambition that is almost palpable. That type of competitiveness is what makes a great team into an elite team.

I also agree the competitiveness is something a team needs throughout. It is that last ounce of effort, both mentally and physically which will enable a team to beat everyone, and not let the bounce of that oblong ball affect the outcome of the game. As we have seen it also takes that mindset to make sure the zebra's don't impact the game too.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/28/2022 at 6:14 AM, Haywarduck said:

I also agree the competitiveness is something a team needs throughout.

Nothing shows this better than in the NBA Finals when Michael Jordan led the Bulls over the Portland Trail Blazers. Jordan is a rare mix of competitive fire, Jordan definitely believed that no team was going to beat the Bulls, and 2 three year championship runs, never playing a Game 7, backed that up. Jordan, along with talent was also a text book on fundamentals. "Clyde the Glyde was exciting, a hall of fame player for sure, but fundamentals were not his thing. However the exquisitely disciplined Trail Blazers of 1977 beat the talent laden 76ers for the championship in 1977. 

Every "Great" in every profession has a couple things in common. One of course is competitiveness.  When I was young and playing football, I absolutely refused to be beat. I wasn't the biggest, fastest, strongest or most athletic. But man, nobody was going to beat me. 

That competitiveness had College coaches paying attention to me as a sophomore in HS. Unfortunately I was troubled youth and went down the wrong road. That same competitiveness brought me back later in life and today I am what others would call successful. 

The other commonality is obsession in craft. Whether it is MJ, Tiger, Steve Jobs, or Stevie Ray Vaughan/Bonamassa. They were all obsessed. Nothing less than perfection is acceptable.  And it's all the thought about.

God given talent can take someone far. But competitiveness and obsession can take you to the top of the mountain. Tom Brady is the Goat not because of God given talent but because he is absolutely obsessed with what he does.

• Thumbs Up 2

Isn't discipline a part of competitiveness, play smart while giving 100% every play?

I would say the same of obsession although it's not enough the higher the competition.

You add talent and I believe you have the triad of competitiveness.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/28/2022 at 2:31 PM, Log Haulin said:

Tom Brady is the Goat not because of God given talent but because he is absolutely obsessed with what he does.

And Avocado Ice Cream. 

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2022 at 4:44 PM, 30Duck said:

Nothing shows this better than in the NBA Finals when Michael Jordan led the Bulls over the Portland Trail Blazers. Jordan is a rare mix of competitive fire, Jordan definitely believed that no team was going to beat the Bulls, and 2 three year championship runs, never playing a Game 7, backed that up. Jordan, along with talent was also a text book on fundamentals. "Clyde the Glyde was exciting, a hall of fame player for sure, but fundamentals were not his thing. However the exquisitely disciplined Trail Blazers of 1977 beat the talent laden 76ers for the championship in 1977. 

Great take. In CFB, Georgia with a 3* recruit winning a title being an outlier, you best have a QB with NFL potential.

Brady? It took forever for Tom to start at Michigan and win his final game versus Bama. Today? Would Tom have hung in at Michigan or transfer portaled out?

Jordan? As has been said many times before, only Dean Smith could hold Jordan down. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

Portaled I believe.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2022 at 2:58 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Today? Would Tom have hung in at Michigan or transfer portaled out?

Yeah, there'll never be another Matt Cassell' hardly played at USC, he was drafted though and played 14 years in the NFL. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Great comments with equally great perspectives from all commentors.

One could be curious about a sport and give it a try. Realizing the sport is fun and stick with it. In some instances, not all, size, strength, speed, agility and power dominate the landscape. Football and basketball would be obvious examples. Many get left behind as the competition increases.

Natural, God given talent is a big plus. Couple that with a desire to excel and the willingness to put in the time to be the best and great things can happen. These young men and women who compete at the college level have poured their blood, sweat and tears to reach their elite status. It isn't by chance, it's by effort and design.

But for me it's passion. Pure passion. When I was very young I had a curiosity and desire for the foolish game of golf. After my first 18 hole round (age 😎 I had a passion for the game. It became a love affair. From age 14 to about age 35 I would shoot between 67 and 75 each round. However, I was not competitive. Never played on a high school or college golf team.

I simply was passionate for the game. That passion is what keeps me playing 6 decades after I started. It cannot be quenched. Must be love because I rarely break 90, anymore. But teeing up at sunrise, challenging the course is as exciting today as it was in 1960. The fond memories of family, friends and customers never wanes.

IMHO, the players and coaches have passion and a love for their sports. They work hard, sacrifice and compete to excel. It's within us all, not just sports. It all walks of life......

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/28/2022 at 7:55 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I simply was passionate for the game.

I salute you, as it is the hardest game in the world.  If you don't believe me--ask Jon!

BTW...the Oregon Womens Golf team is currently ranked No. 3 in the nation and has won two big tournaments.  Haven't seen that before...

Mr. FishDuck

Agree passion and curiosity are keys to taking talent to the next level. I also like how HappytobeaDuck highlighted passion can sustain that talent for decades. We have had some extremely talented kids come to Oregon and then flounder. The passion wasn't there, but the talent lit up the recruiting services lights, and got them a scholarship to a great school. 

Competitiveness, curiosity and probably most important is the passion for the game. I do find it interesting that you can destroy passion by incentivizing something which was, at one time, a passion. A child who is fascinated by the piano, and spends hours at it, shows real promise can lose that interest when a parent pays them to keep playing or to play more. At the same time passion directed is an amazing force.

I do wonder if talent development an innate part of a recruit? Does a recruit come with curiosity and passion, along with competitiveness? Is that what we should be recruiting, almost as much as talent? A 3* with upside who can't be held back is a better recruit than a 4* with greater measurables? Is talent development part of nature or nurture?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mostly natural talent trumps. You will find the 3* that developed but it no where close.

Competitiveness, passion, discipline just adds to the talent. You can only change your physical attributes so much. The others a lot more.

On 3/1/2022 at 5:25 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Mostly natural talent trumps. You will find the 3* that developed but it no where close.

Competitiveness, passion, discipline just adds to the talent. You can only change your physical attributes so much. The others a lot more.

I was about the shortest kid in middle school. By the end of high school I was taller than many of the men of middle school. I think there are some kids who still have potential often overlooked by scouts who can't calculate kids still developing and those with what it takes deep inside. I have heard the poly players tend to grow in height and weight well into college. Their maturity comes later, Noah was 6' 1" coming out of high school and is 6' 3" now.

I think it speaks to how many variables really should be looked at when recruiting. I just hope when kids are being recruited it doesn't just come down to this kid is a 4* ranked number 95 and this kid is only a 3*. There should be real discussion about a lot more than just the recruiting services take on kickers, all the way to the qb's.