Haywarduck

QB Competition?

Interesting question from the article.

Bo Nix may be the veteran will all of the experience and more risk aversion, but if what Ty Thompson offers is a higher ceiling, but slightly lower floor due to an increase in risks, which player would you rather see take the field?

ce1250af386e096eebea37fac1a4eee7
SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Bo Nix, Ty Thompson, or Jay Butterfield? It's a question that the Ducks need to answer, and one that is piquing the interest of national media outlets.

May the best man win but no one in the QB room has anywhere close to the experience Nix brings from starting for 3 years in the best conference in CFB. If he wins the job this will be Nix 4th start versus Georgia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Experience until you have nothing to lose.

Nix seems to have all the advantages, experience, actually rated higher than the others as a recruit, existing relationship with OC. 

He is also coming off an injury and I'm not sure where he is with that yet. 

If he can't practice fully and play in the Spring and one (or both) of the other guys really impresses, it might be Bo's job to try to win back. 

I'm not sure what Bo's floor is either. He has had periods when he's been great and then when he's been erratic. I think a lot of that is owed to his situation, but if it's not this could end up a hot competition. There could be surprises in store.

On 3/2/2022 at 11:48 AM, Jon Joseph said:

May the best man win but no one in the QB room has anywhere close to the experience Nix brings from starting for 3 years in the best conference in CFB. If he wins the job this will be Nix 4th start versus Georgia. 

If Oregon is 1-2 after the BYU game, look for Thompson to get his shot. I’ve always felt the reason Nix chose Oregon was to pair up with Dillingham once again, and Oregon felt more comfortable sending Nix out against Georgia in the opener. But if Nix fails to impress, Thompson deserves the opportunity to show what he can do.

That strategy worked out pretty well at Utah when Cam Rising took over for Charlie Brewer and led them to a Rose Bowl berth.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Way easier for Bo to face pack 12 defenses than in the SEC. He won’t be overwhelmed by the ruckus crowd that will be there in the Georgia game. If TT can win the job then more power to him but Bo probably gives us the best chance to stay in that game. By the end of the BYU game we should know who gets the job for the pack 12 opener. Be an interesting start to the season and if we can come away with a 2 and 1 start that is all we can ask for.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/2/2022 at 11:05 PM, DUCKED said:

If Oregon is 1-2 after the BYU game, look for Thompson to get his shot. I’ve always felt the reason Nix chose Oregon was to pair up with Dillingham once again, and Oregon felt more comfortable sending Nix out against Georgia in the opener. But if Nix fails to impress, Thompson deserves the opportunity to show what he can do.

That strategy worked out pretty well at Utah when Cam Rising took over for Charlie Brewer and led them to a Rose Bowl berth.

Great observation. I see the BYU game as a big time swing game for the entire 2022 season. Lose at home vs the BYU Cougars and drop to 1-2, will the attitude be there to ball out the rest of the season?

The week after the BYU game the Ducks have to trip to Washington State. WAZZU, with transfer Cam Ward at QB and Ward's Immaculate Word U head coach as OC is going to put up a lot of points. Ward threw for close to 5000 yards last season. 2 Ducks CBs have transferred out. What will Oregon's pass D look like in 2022?

Interesting, 2 back to back games vs Cougars; IMO, both will be important games in 2022.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:40 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Lose at home vs the BYU Cougars and drop to 1-2

Wouldn't it be great to lose at home to BYU and drop to 2 -1?

On 3/3/2022 at 11:53 AM, Steven A said:

Wouldn't it be great to lose at home to BYU and drop to 2 -1?

No? But a W in Atlanta would be great!

• Haha 1

While I completely understand the armchair fun of this plug-and-play strategizing that dominates the conversation regarding which QB and what scenario will best serve the 2022 season, it troubles me a bit the way the focus has drifted further and further away from the older idea of developing quarterbacks in favor of this high stakes mentality where each QB seems to be nothing more than a disposable pawn in search of the ever elusive brass ring?

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling

On 3/3/2022 at 10:48 AM, Washington Waddler said:

it troubles me a bit the way the focus has drifted further and further away from the older idea of developing quarterbacks in favor of this high stakes mentality where each QB seems to be nothing more than a disposable pawn in search of the ever elusive brass ring?

With the Transfer Portal I see it more as the QB's searching for a new team rather than staying at a school to develop. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2022 at 10:48 AM, Washington Waddler said:

While I completely understand the armchair fun of this plug-and-play strategizing that dominates the conversation regarding which QB and what scenario will best serve the 2022 season, it troubles me a bit the way the focus has drifted further and further away from the older idea of developing quarterbacks in favor of this high stakes mentality where each QB seems to be nothing more than a disposable pawn in search of the ever elusive brass ring?

Taking Bo was a win - win situation.

A new coaching staff with 2 highly touted freshman who were in reality unknown to the new staff, so you add an experienced starter who has familiarity with the OC.

This gives the new staff some assurance of getting an offense going.

While we as fans might be willing to give Ty a season to develop (lose some winnable games) the new staff wants best chance of winning right out of the gate.

And both Ty and Jay still have a real shot at winning the starting job.

Also, the "brass ring" is now what it is all about unfortunately. 'Natty' or bust. 

In Bo's case, he got a new coach that didn't recruit him at Auburn, so reuniting with Dillingham makes since.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, DanLduck said:

Taking Bo was a win - win situation.

A new coaching staff with 2 highly touted freshman who were in reality unknown to the new staff, so you add an experienced starter who has familiarity with the OC.

This gives the new staff some assurance of getting an offense going.

While we as fans might be willing to give Ty a season to develop (lose some winnable games) the new staff wants best chance of winning right out of the gate.

And both Ty and Jay still have a real shot at winning the starting job.

Also, the "brass ring" is now what it is all about unfortunately. 'Natty' or bust. 

In Bo's case, he got a new coach that didn't recruit him at Auburn, so reuniting with Dillingham makes since.

Spot on regarding he and Dillingham reuniting. Under Harsin he was playing very good ball before he hurt his ankle. Would Bama have escaped Auburn with an as close as you can get W if Nix had been healthy?