FishDuck Article

Altman Needs to Find Alpha Dogs

The good news for the Oregon basketball program is that after the Ducks’ two previous trips to the NIT under Dana Altman, they bounced back the following season the reach the Sweet 16. The bad news for the Ducks is that the 2021-22 basketball season was full of disappointment. As mentioned in yesterday’s FishDuck posting, Altman was frustrated that he ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I am surprised to hear that Bittle was mentioned, as he struck me as someone who would want to work.  It will be interesting to see which of the big-men stay and who goes.  I do think Dana has something to point to..."this is what happens when you ignore my system."

These Ducks have to work harder...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

What I find troubling is Altman is the king of finding and creating team players. It seems he went out of his standard makeup of players when he put together this seasons set of players. Maybe he was just unlucky, but Altman has a formula I don't want to see changed. I can agree we need a supreme leader on the floor going forward. 

I do think when we see Oregon win it all, it will be with a floor leader like we have never seen before. If we have an Altman on the floor with ice in his veins we just might see the second big trophy for the Oregon Basketball Program. What is exciting is we do have the bigs to complement a true leader. Another years development of the bigs, a floor leader, and a cold blooded gunner and we can make another great run!

What Altman is doing right now is laying the groundwork for what he wants. I hope it works out, and we see that dynamic team we thought we might just have this season.

• Thumbs Up 1

I see last season as an 'off year' for Dana and his approach to CFB. Transfer players will not meld together every year. 

Still, the team finished with far more wins than losses and came through vs the Mountain West in the NIT. A+M was a team that was oh-so-close to being invited to the Tourney and deserved the NIT No. 1 seed line.

I had zero confidence that Mario would ever take the Ducks to the CFB Final 4. I have every confidence that Altman has the coaching chops to get back to the CBB Final 4.

If only the games didn't start so darn late on the Right Coast!

Edited by Jon Joseph

In this morning‘s Eugene Register-Guard, it was revealed that most of these transfer players still have a year of eligibility. Only Jacob Young is out of eligibility, and they all have to decide if they are going to return.

Dana also made it clear that whoever remains had better be prepared to work very hard, so there will be a blending of the new and the old next year for sure.

It is even possible we could see will Richardson return next year!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/22/2022 at 7:59 AM, Haywarduck said:

What I find troubling is Altman is the king of finding and creating team players. It seems he went out of his standard makeup of players when he put together this seasons set of players. Maybe he was just unlucky, but Altman has a formula I don't want to see changed. I can agree we need a supreme leader on the floor going forward. 

I do think when we see Oregon win it all, it will be with a floor leader like we have never seen before. If we have an Altman on the floor with ice in his veins we just might see the second big trophy for the Oregon Basketball Program. What is exciting is we do have the bigs to complement a true leader. Another years development of the bigs, a floor leader, and a cold blooded gunner and we can make another great run!

What Altman is doing right now is laying the groundwork for what he wants. I hope it works out, and we see that dynamic team we thought we might just have this season.

Agree, he's getting the role players seasoned, just need "the guy."

On 3/22/2022 at 8:20 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I see last season as an 'off year' for Dana and his approach to CFB. Transfer players will not meld together every year. 

Still, the team finished with far more wins than losses and came through vs the Mountain West in the NIT. A+M was a team that was oh-so-close to being invited to the Tourney and deserved the NIT No. 1 seed line.

I had zero confidence that Mario would ever take the Ducks to the CFB Final 4. I have every confidence that Altman has the coaching chops to get back to the CBB Final 4.

If only the games didn't start so darn late on the Right Coast!

Yeah, this is the worst it gets under Altman, we're spoiled now compared to the past. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/22/2022 at 9:01 AM, Charles Fischer said:

In this morning‘s Eugene Register-Guard, it was revealed that most of these transfer players still have a year of eligibility. Only Jacob Young is out of eligibility, and they all have to decide if they are going to return.

Dana also made it clear that whoever remains had better be prepared to work very hard, so there will be a blending of the new and the old next year for sure.

It is even possible we could see will Richardson return next year!

He's not going pro (maybe overseas in a lower league, i suppose) so why not hang out for another year of free college?! I would. Of course, as an embittered middle-aged man reflecting upon his youth, I suppose that's easy for me to say. Haha! : )

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

“It’s that old saying: hard work doesn’t guarantee success, but the lack of hard work definitely guarantees you’re gonna end up on the other end of it,” Dana Altman said. “We’re gonna have to work. I wish I had a magic wand, but I sure don’t.”

Some of this is Dana's fault; none of the veteran transfers he recruited were good three-point shooters...On3 has a good article about that today.  (Subscriber only)

Mr. FishDuck

Like others here have pondered, how much did the loss of Tony Stubblefield affect recruiting, player development and motivation? Altman put staff along side gym rat mentality as issues to rectify.

• Thumbs Up 1

So Isaac Johnson just entered the portal. Start of the house cleaning that Altman implied? 

On 3/22/2022 at 3:03 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

So Isaac Johnson just entered the portal. Start of the house cleaning that Altman implied? 

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but you are playing behind N'Faley, Franck, Nate, and most likely incoming Kel'el Ware. I would transfer out to where I would have the opportunity of more playing time IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think if Dante comes out, Bittle may stay. Otherwise, he’s gone. It’s a real plus when big men can stretch the court. Bittle can do that, he has 3 point range, but we never got a chance to see it this year. Unfortunate.

I love Franck’s energy and enthusiasm, and he is a great teammate. But his skill level is lacking. 

Top National recruits, like Bittle, a McDonald’s All-American, want to play, and they won’t hang around if they don’t see the court. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/22/2022 at 7:47 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am surprised to hear that Bittle was mentioned, as he struck me as someone who would want to work.  It will be interesting to see which of the big-men stay and who goes.  I do think Dana has something to point to..."this is what happens when you ignore my system."

I did not read what was said about Mr. Bittle. I met him in Walmart at Delta Oaks before the beginning of the season and I have nothing but positive things to say about him. I honestly think he'll be quite productive for the Ducks in the future.

• Like 1

When you look at the production Gonzaga gets compared to us from its bigs - even from frosh - is that just a talent gap, or is it also knowing how to get the most from them?

• Thumbs Up 2

Joe Young was an Alpha Dog, The Final 4 team were all Alpha Dogs, Dillon Brooks led the pack. Pritchard wasn't elite until his senior year, Chris Duarte' and Eugene Omoruyi were both Alpha Dogs, so yes, when D.A. had AD's Oregon won. This season, even at the top of his game, Richardson wasn't quite a match for these others, but if he'd been able to play the whole season the Ducks most likely would have been in the NCAA's again.

Altman has another great class coming in, with places for a few more. Last season was down, but I expect that it will be better . It will be interesting if Richardson comes back, I think he'd be fine as a 2. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The transfer players would have to sit out a year unless they got a waiver.  Not sure they would want wait to play that long